Singapore Expats

Tissues to 'hold a table'.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Oh, when I see two people hogging a single 4 seat table and not making a point to offer them to others, I just park there whether they like it or not. :devil:
Totally agree and have no problem politely smiling and taking up one of the other 4 seats!

Same as the tissue packet on table lark, to me those tables are fare game and you are very welcome to argue the fact with me!

Mrs S's family love going out for a meal with me just for the entertainment value! :cool:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:17 pm

Mine are just the opposite saint, they cringe when I go with them. Can't say as I blame them sometimes, but certain things just yank my chain! :twisted:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Mine are just the opposite saint, they cringe when I go with them. Can't say as I blame them sometimes, but certain things just yank my chain! :twisted:
I cringe even when you come online in the forum! :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 8:52 am

So do Advertisers! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:45 am

Hactar wrote:Personally I think it is really cool that in Singapore people are so polite that you can actually reserve a table by leaving your tissues or something similar there. If you were to leave any of your stuff at a table in a major town in Holland, it would have been either ditched or stolen when you got back.

So I DO respect the rights of a packed of Kleenex, because I like living in a world where this is possible.
Hactar, I could hug you. I love that positive attitude.

The reason people leave tissue is precisely because it is of little value, and they wouldn't lose too much if it were stolen. It is quite possible that things with some value would get taken especially now that times are bad and petty crime likely on the rise.

Still, I didn't see it the way you do, and will now look at the tissue in a new light!

Flyjet1

Post by Flyjet1 » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:50 am

Just wondering if someone swop those tissue packs just because they couldnt get a seat.
free time? do something!!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:11 pm

hang on... doesnt the germans use their towels to "reserve" the deck chairs in hotel pool? :wink:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:14 pm

I think everyone does that, not just the Germans. I just don't see a problem with that or the tissue thing -- if someone got there first, don't they have a right to hold the table so they can ensure they have a place to eat? Presumably they're in the queue for food before you too, right?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:40 pm

Rarely. I've already gotten my food and am looking for someplace to sit down to eat. The only way they would have been in the queue before me is to also not choped a seat beforehand, therefore preventing other from possibly sitting down and finishing their meal before the choper even gets his meal at the counter. If we practiced the same thing, then we wouldn't be complaining.....

chope / choped / chopped / choping or chopeing :???:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 1:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Rarely. I've already gotten my food and am looking for someplace to sit down to eat. The only way they would have been in the queue before me is to also not choped a seat beforehand, therefore preventing other from possibly sitting down and finishing their meal before the choper even gets his meal at the counter.
This is my beef too. Simple logic points out the silliness of having empty but un-usable tables and people with food but no place to eat it. If I already have my tray of food, I'll just sit down at an empty table, tissue or no tissue. Anyone who comes later is welcome to join me at the table.

If you want a reserved table, you should eat at a proper restaurant, and pay for the privilege.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 1:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Rarely. I've already gotten my food and am looking for someplace to sit down to eat. The only way they would have been in the queue before me is to also not choped a seat beforehand, therefore preventing other from possibly sitting down and finishing their meal before the choper even gets his meal at the counter. If we practiced the same thing, then we wouldn't be complaining.....

chope / choped / chopped / choping or chopeing :???:
OK, I understand that. I guess the problem is that some people do it, and others don't. If you're in the 'don't' camp is reduces the viable tables (or at least could in theory). I suppose there is no way to enforce a Can Not Chope policy, and you certainly can't do the reverse -- so really no way to deal, other than ignore the tissues.

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Post by RULDS » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 1:54 pm

For a country that prides itself on efficiency...the whole saving tables creates a logistical nightmare. Having come from the food industry in the states, if you reserve a table and are standing in line this actual makes the restaurant serve half of its capacity. It does not make since at all.

In popular restaurants in other parts of the world to where you place you order and then sit down, most of them have signs that states do not sit until you have your food for this reason of 'wasted space'. I would even argue that holding tables in busy hawkers actually makes the owners of the stalls loose in revenue.

The tissue thing and those dang people who trample you while getting on the MRT are my only 2 pet peeves....I guess thats not too bad!

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 2:15 pm

Playing devil's advocate for the moment: wouldn't they also lose revenue from people like me, who scan the area, see that getting a table is just too risky, so they leave?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 3:12 pm

Good point, but from one who battled the BK nightmare for 14 years in International Plaza, It would appear that it's not so. The lines were always long but a lot tended to do like I did, and buy my lunch to go. Look for a table and if I couldn't find one, I left and went outside or back to my office desk to eat. I'm sure others did the same as at least in fast food places the food was generally portable. And the place was usually half filled with kids and insurance agents clogging half............. :x

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 5:33 pm

Saint wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Mine are just the opposite saint, they cringe when I go with them. Can't say as I blame them sometimes, but certain things just yank my chain! :twisted:
I cringe even when you come online in the forum! :P
LOL! :D
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'