Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
claudine

That's wierd

Post by claudine » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 3:11 pm

Hi Sgirl, first of all, congrats on getting the job!!! :D

I thought it's weird coz in my round of interview, the "big" girls were selected. And, I'm not saying that big girls definitely look nice in kebaya, but I really think that skinny girls like me don't look nice in it. So I guess Sgirl is right. They are really looking for good proportions in figure.

As for the age, I know girls who are 27, 28 yrs old and still got in, although it is not that common. And it's true that most of the girls who apply are 20 to 24 yrs old. But if you don't try just bcoz of the age problem, you will definitely not have a chance!!! So what the heck!!! Just keep trying, if there has been precedences of employing "older" girls, I'm sure it can happen again. Just be positive.... and hope for the best. :P

Sgirl

Post by Sgirl » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 3:19 pm

HI, thx btw :) :oops:

ermm.. i dunno wether i'm sure about the age, but last time my friend told me that u need to be in a range of 20-26.

The kebaya test is not the end of interview, but there is one more step in the tea party where you have to show them that u can work in a group and have a nice personality and mostly 90% u are accepted but watch out there still 10% possibility :twisted: .

They will ask u to swim but i think as long as u can swim with the safety to the shore then it should be fine. :P

Mandy, i dunno what nationality u are, but i heard they will open another interview on april for indonesian and for malaysian and singapore pr and citizen, u can just go to the www.singaporeair.com and check the web as they offer the job now .

hope this helps :)

Post by Guest » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 5:22 pm

Thanks so much Sgirl, your info did help me much!!!

Well, im from Malaysia, 21 years old, and waiting for the SIA interview to be opened again...so, i think i will more alert for the next interview in April.

Sgirl oh Sgirl, now i really dont think i can go through the interview!!! I am currently work in a hospitality / Travel line, so for the interaction with people would not be the main problems to me, but just one SWIMMING section. Is the swimming test is one of the interview steps or after been accepted then only they ask the candidates to swim? I hope i still have more time to learn IF after accepted by them

Thanks again

Leto

Post by Leto » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 6:14 pm

so the age is 20-26? they did not put the age limit on their recruitment. so i suppose, i can't apply for it coz i am turning 27 this year....
the oldest new female crew that i had seen was 28.
Is the swimming test is one of the interview steps or after been accepted then only they ask the candidates to swim? I hope i still have more time to learn IF after accepted by them
it'z a water confidence test. just to check out whether u would dare to jump into a 3m deep pool. with a life vest, and therez no way u would even drown. not much of being a swimming test.
So, one word of advice, please put on weight before you go for the interview. And make sure you can speak proper english, not singlish. But the politics is really really bad, so..... may not be a good job after all.
i had been flying with SQ as a steward for the past 7 yrz and i would have to disagree with this. generally the crew are helpful and nice towards each other and itz really a nice place to work in. the majority of the grunts that we have are abt having more rest days and more money. aint that normal anywhere else?

sGirl, welcome to the family.[/quote]

steph

Post by steph » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:41 pm

Hi everyone,

firstly CoNgrATS to Sgirl....

i would like to ask whether is the swimming test done individually or in a group? Do we have to be in swimming costumes? well... actually i have a very big red colour birth mark on my right tigh so i am wondering whether will they disqualify me just because of that?

Thanxz :wink:

piggie

To all the SIA gals

Post by piggie » Thu, 17 Feb 2005 8:11 pm

Hi, to all the Sgals :)

Knowing that all the girls who entered into the final round really went through alot of hardship. From young i had wanted to be an air stewardness, i am 22 this year, i am really afraid to go try because of my blemishes on my face, for the kebaya test, or maybe even the first round i will be kick off.

Is it really true that all SIA gals have really nice face complexion?

jaytea

Post by jaytea » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:58 am

Leto wrote:i had been flying with SQ as a steward for the past 7 yrz and i would have to disagree with this. generally the crew are helpful and nice towards each other and itz really a nice place to work in. the majority of the grunts that we have are abt having more rest days and more money. aint that normal anywhere else?
Hi Leto,

Just curious, but how often do they call for steward applications? They seem to be calling for stewardesses quite often these days but rarely for stewards.

THanks!

mag3

Post by mag3 » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 8:57 am

Hey girls, just a question: what is your nationality?
I am stewardess, come from Europe, live in Singapore and want to apply too...

Post by Guest » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:43 pm

mag3 wrote:Hey girls, just a question: what is your nationality?
i think SIA only recruit asian girls, singaporeans, malaysians, indians etc.. correct me if i am wrong. :wink:

Post by Guest » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:08 am

So far, I don't see any non-Asian SIA Cabin Crew. Thus, I think SIA only recruit asians.

mag3, why not you try Emirates? Everything there is as good as SIA, if not better. :twisted:

mag3

Post by mag3 » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:36 am

I know, Emirates is an excellent company but I want to live here, not in Dubai...
Do you think there is any opportunity for an european caucasian girl to work as a cabin crew in Singapore?

Pkchukiss

Post by Pkchukiss » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:05 am

Anonymous wrote:Thanks so much Sgirl, your info did help me much!!!

Well, im from Malaysia, 21 years old, and waiting for the SIA interview to be opened again...so, i think i will more alert for the next interview in April.

Sgirl oh Sgirl, now i really dont think i can go through the interview!!! I am currently work in a hospitality / Travel line, so for the interaction with people would not be the main problems to me, but just one SWIMMING section. Is the swimming test is one of the interview steps or after been accepted then only they ask the candidates to swim? I hope i still have more time to learn IF after accepted by them

Thanks again
You need to have more confidence in yourself. If even you don't have faith in your ability, how are you going to prove yourself to everyone else out there?
Ignorant no more
Visit my blog here

Mandy

Post by Mandy » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 1:45 pm

[it'z a water confidence test. just to check out whether u would dare to jump into a 3m deep pool. with a life vest, and therez no way u would even drown. not much of being a swimming test. ]

Thanks Leto, i suddenly have back the fully confidence in me, its like my soul come back to my body!!! :)

[I know, Emirates is an excellent company but I want to live here, not in Dubai...
Do you think there is any opportunity for an european caucasian girl to work as a cabin crew in Singapore?]

Hi Mag3, my second choice will be Emirates after SIA. Whats wrong staying in Dubai? How is the places and the people in Dubai?

[You need to have more confidence in yourself. If even you don't have faith in your ability, how are you going to prove yourself to everyone else out there?]

Yes Pkchukiss, i agreed with you. Well, human being...the confidence going down when knowing the weakness in self. But no worries for me now as Leto had explained the swimming test.

Have a nice day to everyone!!!
Mandy

ping199

Post by ping199 » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 4:28 pm

Claudine, Sgirl:
can you please tell me the
-questions that were asked in the interview?
-is there any public speaking?

anyone who had been to the interview, please tell me more about the interview.

Leto

Post by Leto » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 7:55 pm

i would like to ask whether is the swimming test done individually or in a group? Do we have to be in swimming costumes? well... actually i have a very big red colour birth mark on my right tigh so i am wondering whether will they disqualify me just because of that?
steph: itz done in a group. when i had mine several years back, we had to jump individually for a single lap, and then abt 10 ppl at the same time for the second run.

if the birthmark can be fully covered by the uniform, i dont think it will pose any problems at all.
stewardness, i am 22 this year, i am really afraid to go try because of my blemishes on my face, for the kebaya test, or maybe even the first round i will be kick off.
Is it really true that all SIA gals have really nice face complexion?
piggie: yes itz a must. but make up can do wonders. if itz still obvious, then i think u might have to do something abt it first if u are really keen to join.
Just curious, but how often do they call for steward applications? They seem to be calling for stewardesses quite often these days but rarely for stewards.
jaytea: true.. the intake of stewards seems to be on the low side nowadayz. but in any case, just send a letter to the recruitment dept and they'll advise u on the recruitment period. the days of walk-in interviews are over as they said that if the applicant would make the effort of sending in their letter, it shows genuine interest. and i think it gives them an opportunity to gauge ur command of english and it would not waste their time interviewing many and having to send most of them out.
Do you think there is any opportunity for an european caucasian girl to work as a cabin crew in Singapore?
mag3: SQ recruits only asian cabin crew. as far as i know, they are not gonna change that policy, being an asian airline. but i would still advice u to write in to the recruitment dept as i cant give an official word abt it coz i dont have the rights to do so.
people would not be the main problems to me, but just one SWIMMING section. Is the swimming test is one of the interview steps or after been accepted then only they ask the candidates to swim? I hope i still have more time to learn IF after accepted by them
the swimming/water confidence test is done during the interview. failing to swim will result in rejection for the post. u have to be able to swim to get in. but as i had mentioned in an earlier posting, itz not as hard as it seems.
try learning how to swim before u attempt.

dont take my word without confirming it with the company. i'm just a flying crew and itz just to the best of my knowledge. and i'm not senior enough in the airline to give u the best advice abt it. but if any of u wishes to find out from me, i wouldnt mind helping out getting information that are available to me. i rarely read postings, so it would be easier to email me at [email protected] if i dont reply here.

cheers..