Singapore Expats

yahoo auction retired. where to sell, buy and bid now?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 9:34 am

I must have been out of the US too long -- Home Depot?? Experts??? :???:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 9:47 am

If you read my post, I say they are "experts" on tagging on all the fancy charges. Whoever comes up with these ideas deserves an award for creativity. Who would have thought of charging customers for climbing stairs, though they are not the only one doing it. It is hilarious in my opinion !

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:01 am

earthfriendly wrote:If you read my post, I say they are "experts" on tagging on all the fancy charges. Whoever comes up with these ideas deserves an award for creativity. Who would have thought of charging customers for climbing stairs, though they are not the only one doing it. It is hilarious in my opinion !
I do believe that would be the union receiving awards for creativity...

I read your post to mean that since you paid a premium to go to a reputable business that Home Depot were the experts, my mistake :oops:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 6:32 pm

earthfriendly wrote:I am under the impression seller is targeting overseas buyer, hence my previous comment.
One would certainly have to ask why wouldn't you think? I think if might be because the average overseas buyer wouldn't normally be aware of the cost of postage in Singapore where a local will know BS when they see it so therefore would recognize the rip-off for what it was......
It is no longer an internet garage sale store.
I think this should have been written "....longer JUST and internet garage....". Your are right, it is so much more. but it is still an auction site that does work and works well in spite of the rising costs and complaints.
"No seller is under obligation to deliver the goods in person. And they should perhaps charge a personal delivery fee for it then. And are you saying that this seller should do this just so buyer can avoid paying a shipping fee?"
Not sure your glasses are of the correct power or not.... Who's asking the seller to make the delivery? In Singapore it's easy enough for the buyer to pick up the goods. It's not like it's 5000 km from one side to the other like the US or Canada. Otherwise, it costs $20 US dollars to deliver a brochure to the post office with 2.50 of postage on it? d'oh!

Have it your way. It would be obvious that you see it that way now wouldn't it. I forgot who I was having the conversation with....... my apologies.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:51 pm

SMS, I have never changed in my fundamantal believes, between my lives in SG and USA. Growing up, I saw how mean my father's mother had been to my mother. Why? She belonged to the feudalistic period where many MIL were not too kind to their daughter-in-laws. But then I have also seen many mainland chinese MIL treating their daughters-in-law very civilly. These are the progressive thinkers and do not see the need to follow the social norm.

Anyway I detract, I told my mom she was not obligated to care of her MIL since the latter had not been the most kind to her. Well she felt obligated due to the chinese filial piety concept. But knowing her, she will stop the cycle of abusive treatment towards future daughter-in-law i.e. if my brother ever lands himself with a wife. The power to stop the cycle rest solely in her hands. I was watching the documentary about the plight of black Americans. . How the cycle of dysfunctional family and absentee father continue. And I disagree with Spike Lee putting the blame on American society of treatment of the blacks. Even though it plays a big role in shaping thier outlook, the parents of these family have to take charge of their own family lives and the formation of the values of their own children. They have to tell themselves the cycle has to stop here and now. The fate is in their own hands. They themselves had suffered the pain of dysfunctionalism, why make their kids go thru the same thing. And I do not believe in false dichotomy. I know, it is easier said than done. But then doing buisness as usual comes with a price too.

And I am not here to tell other forummers what to do or how to run their lives lah. If you read my signature quote. I am just offering my take in life. That's all.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 7:10 am

EF, is there a particular reason you are making this personal? You slam me as a person, You bring up my MiL, my family, My personal side? Why are you playing me and not playing the ball?

I had always given you heaps of respect as a poster. It would appear that I may have mis-judged you and maybe the respect has been misplaced. I'm saddened to see you take this so personal that you have to resort to personal slurs again me and my family. Your round-about way of doing it is still rather obvious. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 9:17 am

I'm a little puzzled too. EF is not her usual light-hearted, friendly, funny self. Is everything ok with you EF?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 9:26 am

SMS, when I point out those scenarios, it is just as is the way it comes to mind. So do not ask me to anyalyse my feelings. Feelings are feelings. Perhaps you are in a better position to do it since you are detached from the feelings while I am the one experiencing it. Sorry if I come across as being personal. I write as it comes.

I reacted this way maybe because I think you hate SG and I love SG very much. And your assessment of SG is skewed and blinded by your anger. There I go being personal again, but I am answering you in the best possible way. Maybe not so civil. I love SG as I find Singapreans to be very kind.

They may not express their kindness by giving up seats for the needy, giving way to oncoming walking traffic, saying thank you when you open the door for them. My Malaysian girlfriend once commented that in USA, people have the attitude that you get what you deserve in life. Say we run into a homeless in the street, a person can either adopt the attitude that "this guy is a bump who is too lazy to work" or "poor guy has to sleep in the street and battle the elements". I would not be surprised to find many Singaporeans adopting the latter attutide. This kindness also express inself in the large outpouring of donations of many causes, which I remember you bashing the Singaporeans eagerness to donate. Whatever they do, even good deeds, you have this need to taint their good efforts. A few days ago read an article where they interviewed the elderly. An old impoverished uncle refused to collect welfare and when asked why, he said there were other people more needy than him. And this other elderly woman who had to share apartment with other senior citizens as they have no relatives. She had no money to buy proper bed and pillow, makes $1 a day by going thru garbage to sell to garung guni. Could not afford the bus fare and had to walk from her chinatown flat to Singapore General Hospital. And she is not collecting welfare.

The ability to feel this kindness is not limited to 3rd generation singaporeans like myself. Alain Vandenborre, author of Proudly Singaporean who took on citizenship, feels it too.

It is the general tone of your posts that gets to me. The demeaness that I read into it. And of course, a personal interpretation. Not everyone will read as much into it as I do.

Anyway, it is out of my system now. No more hard feelings on my part. Like I said, to force other people (locals or expats) to like Singapore would be bigotry. And I wish you the happiness that you deserve. You are a good man. Just that the living condition in SG is not bringing out the best in you. Peace :) .

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 9:35 am

SMS and WIMH, no worries now. Kids are demanding dinner now :roll: . So SMS is no longer my problem . Let me pacify them long enough to finish my postings on the forum. :P

SMS, I do ramble on in this forum. So don't take it too personal, my friend.