Singapore Expats

Servicing of air conditioning - legal requirements

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Tony_Melb

Servicing of air conditioning - legal requirements

Post by Tony_Melb » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 4:34 pm

Hi everybody

This Monday I take handover of my condo for a period of 12 months and have signed the LOI and Tenancy Agreement.

Can I ask if anybody knows what the law states as to how often each of the air conditioners have to be serviced? I know it is my responsibility to maintain the air conditioners but do not know how often the law requires me to have them serviced.

Also, if there are one or two air conditioners I will never use (eg they are in a spare room I do not use), can I have their power/water disconnected or is there any way I am allowed to not have them serviced if they will not be used?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 5:22 pm

Hi Tony, not sure if there is a legal requirement, but in our lease it says we also need to have them serviced. We have made the decision to only have them serviced quarterly, as we hardly ever use them.

Do a search on the forum - there was a thread a little while ago talking about which companies were good/bad from memory.

One of our other cheerful regs. might have the answer about the legalities of it all.

HTH, P

Tony_Melb

Post by Tony_Melb » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks. "Only" serviced quarterly? That seems like very frequent servicing to me!

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 5:59 pm

With the places I researched - it was then 6 monthly or then yearly.

However, you can do one off servicing - which when compared to the plans might be worth considering - you know, maybe only get them done when you suspect a problem?

HTH

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Post by mrdodge » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:00 am

my 2c worth,

its a tropical climate , things grow and can cause all sorts of problems, not only in the aircon (think of black mould/slime seeping out which happened to me once) but also in you and more importantly your kids if you have them.

Quarterly cleaning is a good investment, imo - by the time you have detected a problem, well, you've been breathing crap for maybe a week or more.

of course, if you do not use aircon much then it should be no problem - and given the electricity costs at the moment its something we are striving to do ourselves.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:42 am

Our tenancy agreement states we have to service the aircon quarterly.

If the landlord is really anal ( and this is Singapore after all) If he finds one of the units not working when you leave he may ask for proof that they have been serviced, if you cant prove it he may hit you with a bill for its replacement.

In this tropical environment not using an aircon unit can cause more mechanical problems then actually using it.

trinity511

Post by trinity511 » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 5:27 pm

Check your lease it may state that you are required to have a quarterly service agreement proir to the start of lease. As mrdodge says things grow and cause problems, we run the aircon once a week for maintenance purposes or when we have visitors staying. To disconnect a machine would leave it vulnerable to deterioration.

Ms.Sylvia

Post by Ms.Sylvia » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 8:28 pm

I think a yearly or a half yearly agreement is more reasonable. Mine is half yearly.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 9:10 pm

Ms.Sylvia wrote:I think a yearly or a half yearly agreement is more reasonable. Mine is half yearly.
Depends on how often you use it, We tried a half year service and after 4 month the house was like a sauna and had to have aircon setting on max fan speed and lowest temp.

When they came to service it took three of them to take out the filter you could have used it as a ballistic amour, it was so thick and heavy with gunk.

So we changed it to bi monthly service.