Singapore Expats

I am a New Man! \:D/

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:57 pm

Well, it's been over four months since I finished my weightloss program and embarked on a new journey of healthy living.

I am glad to say that I am still at my program final weight (actually around 1 kg below it) and I fluctuate within about a 1.5kg range. I eat well, but I don't eat like I used to do. My taste buds have changed for the better. Today I don't use salt at all as a condiment as I find fresh unprocessed foods have all the natural salts needed. It's surprising how much flavour natural unprocessed foods contain. Our parents really tend to screw us up early in life with the salt, sugar, ketchup, syrup garbage catering to a sweet tooth that in reality wasn't there. We became addicted early and the white starch evil keeps it going without us even knowing it.

Finally I eat Normally. Not Abnormally like I did before starting this fantastic journey.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 1:00 pm

SMS - out of interest, how do you go with soy and chilli sauces - did you cut those out, or do you use low-salt versions?

Congratulations on achieving your goals - very inspirational - I'll need some of that inspiration when I give up the dreaded ciggies! Mr. P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 6:33 pm

I gave up the ciggies after a habit of 37 years on December 14 2004 so am coming up on 4 years without one of those either! At one time for about 6 monts back in the early '80s I had a 3 to 4 pack a day habit! I had a pack or more habit when I laid them down that Sunday afternoon and haven't picked one up since. No regrets there either.

Soy sauce if I use it as all (rarely - I use kikkoman's low salt version - bloody expensive by comparison but my body is worth it!) I don't generally use chilli sauce but fresh chillies as my wife is an Asian and an excellent cook so she makes her own without all the processed chemicals.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 7:31 pm

SMS - thanks - fresh chillies blow through me like the Santa Ana winds... on a hell bent mission!

Congratulations again - and thanks for the update.

P

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 7:39 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:SMS - thanks - fresh chillies blow through me like the Santa Ana winds... on a hell bent mission!

TMI :D

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 7:57 pm

Then turn off the channel, R.N.T.

It was an honest question with an honest response. You might have also seen the question was about salt and chilli, AS WELL as SOY.

I doubt you have ever felt the Santa Ana winds on your face? It's a very hot wind. And it is one of the most joyous experiences.

Having eaten fresh chillies (that admittedly I smuggled over the border from Mexico) a mate and I ate them, and did burbs. Oh there was also Tequila. But that was after 6 months of volunteer work in northern parts of Mexico. I think we were allowed that little moment.

We ended up drinking and burping. We parked the car once we got into Cali - well, to be true it was a little longer....then we slept by the car in the desert. Then we burped.

Then, oh gosh - we danced around to Belinda Carlisle!

Yes, I'm a bad person.

Dj SharK

Post by Dj SharK » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 4:22 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple,

I would love to get more information and details about this. But unfortunately i can't send out any PM's yet. Is there another way we could go about this?

Thanks. :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 7:04 pm

Make two more posts and your PM function will automatically activate.

modera
tor

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Post by TommyD » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 2:06 pm

I'd like to hear more about this program too, could you PM me the details please.

Thanks.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 4:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Today I don't use salt at all as a condiment as I find fresh unprocessed foods have all the natural salts needed. It's surprising how much flavour natural unprocessed foods contain.
Congrats. Funny I have just recently been thinking how bland the fresh food (doesn't?) taste these days. I used to love nothing better than a fresh carrot - but I manage about 1/2 a one before I wonder what it is I'm eating. I even shelled out a small fortune for organic produce in the hope of finding something tasty.

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 2:17 pm

Well done and all that, an extremely incredible achievement…

Advance apologies for going against the grain… But isn’t this just common sense, a big ego rub, and an even bigger marketing campaign…

If you burn more calories than you put in = things work out Ok…

800 calories a day is bad for you! Any “diet”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 7:08 pm

Sorry Andy, but the proof is in the seeing. Both physically and medically. And there are hundreds just like me walking around. There are at least a dozen on this forum who have or are experiencing something that you will not comprehend if you just out and out diss something you don't know. You are just like I was. It took me 2.5 months of hard research in 2007 before I was satisfied that this was safe to do. And it worked just as fantastically for me as it did for the guy who referred me to the programme. I only needed to lose 25kg, which I lost in 22 weeks, but he lost 49kg in 6 months & 2 weeks! And, like me, he's much healthier for it as well.

Just think about it for a moment. Do you actually think the guy who is in a BMI range that is officially "morbidly Obese" is doing his joints any good by exercising? Get real. You have to get the weight off before you start to do even MORE damage to your joints. That, my friend, is "common sense".

You are welcome to walk around in you own self-made set of boundaries but for those of us who are/were serious & seriously overweight, this is a very good method to go. Here is a link for all you "have to exercise to lose weight" types who really don't know but just repeat some PT that they heard.

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

:-|

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 9:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do you actually think the guy who is in a BMI range that is officially "morbidly Obese" is doing his joints any good by exercising? Get real. You have to get the weight off before you start to do even MORE damage to your joints. That, my friend, is "common sense".
Hmmm, I don’t want to get roped into playing the bad guy, but on this point then - has anyone in this exact situation tried swimming 40 lengths every other day for 4 weeks, whilst eating a sensible well balanced 2500 calorie a day diet – then taken a fresh look at the situation...

Then repeat until the joints have come back into the safety zone, moving onto alternate days road running with the swimming – resting 1 day a week, building up so you can easily run a 10K whilst still talking...

I think you will be as equally amazed as any miracle diet.

No exercise – is a crazy concept for a human being, you can’t run with your dog, wrestle with your children, heck if you’re a tradesman you can’t even go to work. I have known many people on this diet, if it is the same one that is sweeping Europe with its “claims”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 9:47 pm

Tommy, Read the title of the thread. Of course it's a single sided thread! It's all about ME! :cool:

I'm not sure what programme you are talking about "sweeping" Europe but this programme is not new. It's been around for 25+ years.

Stop for a moment and do some math. If I swim EVERY night for 40 laps how many calories will I burn? If the human male needs around 2300 to 2600 calories daily just to maintain, do you have any idea how many calories you have to burn to lose 100 grams? About 1000 calories.

A moderate to strong swim for 30 minutes will burn about 270 calories. This equals about 30 grams of fat or 1 ounce. Now, assuming that an obese person could, in fact, swim that long at the same rate, without being breathless, how long do you think it would take?

I'm not saying exercise and caloric intake shouldn't be used in most cases. If fact I agree that that is the preferred method of losing weight and gaining strength at the same time. Unfortunately, it's not really practical if one wants to regain their health in the shortest space of time possible. I, for one, due to 30 years of gout problems, would have died of old age before I got rid of it all (I'm already 62). This way, I've gotten rid of it, and my brand new Omron Body Monitor (which replaced my trusty Tanita as it died!) says my body age is now 53 and that with the subsequent toning up which is coming along nicely, is much better as I can enjoy life sooner rather than "maybe" later, provided I didn't give myself a cardiac trying to lose the weight.

I'm not trying to push this on anybody, in fact, if a person has less than 10kg to lose, I recommend the same approach you are espousing. It's not for everybody. But it worked for me. And that, my friend, is all that counts. I don't need to defend it. It worked for me. My health is perfect, my weight is perfect, I'm perfect! Except I still got no hair! :x :mrgreen:

sms

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: My health is perfect, my weight is perfect, I'm perfect!
Well at least you didn't claim your brain is. :P :lol: :lol: