Singapore Expats

Little Ozchick won't eat

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 8:29 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Bless you OzChick, this is a big one for a parent. Sounds like the right first steps have already been taken. I'm concerned that a wedding in January might be too much. Does she have a goal weight she's trying to achieve before the big day? It's such a very stressful time and can make a bad situation worse. Will you let us know how she's doing?
Will do RNT. The rooster came close to getting them to 'postpone' the marriage since IT in our eyes is what's really dragging her into the worst of this horrible illness. In the end we failed. Me in tears and she trying to comfort me...sigh....
BUT she and the fiance have promised twice weekly visits to the clinic and, as has been suggested previously, to resume anti-depressant medication. While some of you may frown at this, the best advice I have is that on the low doses she has normally required of a non-addictive drug, she can take this indefinitely while simultaneously attacking the Eating Disorder (ED) with greater conviction. These anti-depressants enable 'courage' and allow the new happier person to act in a proactive manner. I remain hopeful that a few kilos can be gained before the big day. One must have faith. I've contacted the clinic, voiced my concerns and have made it clear that I'm wanting frequent updates. Thanks to all of you and I'll happily share any good news as it's forthcoming. :)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 9:44 pm

I for one would not frown on anything that might help someone else. I hope things get better and give me a shout if you need an ear. Listening is half the battle.
Zeenit

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 9:14 pm

Zeenit wrote:I for one would not frown on anything that might help someone else. I hope things get better and give me a shout if you need an ear. Listening is half the battle.
Yes Zeenit, 'listening' is the thing yeah when we're down..... and thank you and others who have shown genuine concern. Some great news, the little Ozchick is on anti-depressants and has gained 2 kilos since she went home 2 weeks ago ! I'm SUCH a happy mum I can tell you. I spoke to her tonight on the phone and she is cheerful and eating and going out with her friends again- gee I feel better I can tell you ! Some of you will hopefully acknowledge that antidepressants are by far the lesser of the 2 evils in this scenario. In an ideal world, clearly neither 'evil' is good.
But I can take a breather for a while now and hope that she's 'on a roll' in this new attitude ! Thanks all for your interest and for 'listening'. VERY much appreciated and I thought you'd want to know this development. :)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:59 pm

That is excellent news Ozchick. I am sure that it makes you feel a lot better knowing that things are going well for her even though you are not there with her. It is always hard when you are not around to see for yourself but she sounds like she has wonderful support with her husband to be...hey, he sounds like a good catch too.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:14 pm

Very happy to read your update Ozchick! :kiss: :D

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Sun, 26 Oct 2008 7:53 am

Yay! \:D/ That is good news indeed and what a relief it must be for you to hear this. Never easy being a mother, I know, to see your child in pain no matter how old they get and like the others here, I'm all ears if you feel the need to talk.
One man's meat is another's poison.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 26 Oct 2008 7:21 pm

Very, very good news Ozchick. Antidepressants have changed a lot of lives for the better, if it works for her -- fantastic. :D

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 26 Oct 2008 8:18 pm

the little Ozchick is on anti-depressants
gimme a break will ya.

Pill em up thatll work :???:

Again i side with the crew that think all people should take a test before becoming a parent.

How many anit depressants are there in Somalia!!! And if anybody has a reason to be depressed they do.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:00 pm

bigfilsing wrote:
gimme a break will ya.

Again i side with the crew that think all people should take a test before becoming a parent.

How many anit depressants are there in Somalia!!! And if anybody has a reason to be depressed they do.
How lucky for you that you have never suffered from depression. Anyone who had any idea of this medical condition would never make such a ridiculous statement.

Perhaps you and Tom Cruise can go and form your own little club for idiotic comments and genuinely believing you really are better than the people around you. :roll:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 7:35 am

bigfilsing wrote:
gimme a break will ya.

This is one of the scariest posts I've read on this Board for a long time.

positano
Regular
Regular

Post by positano » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 9:56 am

bigfilsing wrote:
gimme a break will ya.

:shooting: bigfilsing, you are such an ignoramus

ozchick, glad to hear your daughter is on her way to recovery =D>

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:43 am

bigfilsing wrote:
gimme a break will ya.

Bigfilsing, this is not like you. You and I have always gotten along well on this site. I don't understand why you are so adamnant on this point. You could be a little more tactful too.
Don't misunderstand me. I also would prefer little Ozchick to manage her life without medication. But we all have our problems. Some people resort to alcohol, excessive religious practices, over-eating, violence, excessive exercise, illicit drugs, smoking...the list goes on.
The people in Somalia would include those who hate their situation and may well be depressed but would never consider suicide. Others of them would not be able to handle it and would consider suicide, as sure many of them do, and have done. WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME. Our life experiences and physiological/psychological differences are what makes us all unique.
Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. The 'black cloud' (or black dog) that hangs around the sufferer can cause them to suicide in the worst scenarios. Are you a parent? Would you want your child starving themselves, developing serious associated health problems and eventually suiciding when modern medicine can help them ? When I heard my daughter say, "Mum I feel like a great black cloud has lifted", I was able to breathe esay for the first time in a while.
And bigfilsing, it's great that you're clearly not a fence-sitter, and I still like you . Have a great day ! :)

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:00 pm

Heh Ozchick .Thanks for the support despite my somewhat tactless comment. Rather than jump to conclusions (like some others) you gave the benifit of the doubt. Good on ya

i have a far greater and unfortunately large experience of depression. i understand the pressure you must feel by resorting to susbstance use/medication. I just feel strongly about this having seen the carnage it can create.
I sincerely hope it helps in your case but please be carefull

Good luck

PS if the other posters want to talk scary lets start a "who's going to win the US election" post ....now thats scary

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 8:54 am

bigfilsing wrote:PS if the other posters want to talk scary lets start a "who's going to win the US election" post ....now thats scary
Or maybe more to the point, why the life expectancy in Somalia is 44 for males and 45 for females. :-|