Singapore Expats

Pub Quizzes...times/dates/locations etc

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Pub Quizzes...times/dates/locations etc

Post by Dave Magoo » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 5:19 pm

Hello all.

Quick question. I've just arrived in the Island Nation and was wondering if there are any good pub quizzes floating around. My search so far has lead to one possibility in Holland Village, I think, but nowt else.

Would be grateful if anyone could advise on where to engage brain, as well as drinking elbow, when next desiring of a few cold ones :shock:
One day, lad, all this will be yours....what, the curtains?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 6:06 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to Singapore. Let me have a look around and get back to you, unless one of our other helpers here beats me to it!

Cheers, P

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 8:41 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Hi Dave and welcome to Singapore. Let me have a look around and get back to you, unless one of our other helpers here beats me to it!

Cheers, P
Hi Dave and welcome aboard! I've not heard of any pub quizzes like we have back home. But the rooster and I would surely enjoy this activity too. So I'm a-watchin' this thread like there's no tomorrow. We could get SMS on board too- HE knows everythang !!! :wink:
Jeezaloo between SMS and the rooster who 'knows it all', the other quiz teams have got Buckley's chance !! :)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave Magoo » Sun, 26 Oct 2008 9:49 am

Cheers for the quick responses, P. and Ozchick.

Let me know what you dig up, P., and don't worry, Ozchick. If no such quiz exists now, but enough people would be interested, I may have a cunning plan :o

I'll wait to see what crops up first though!!

Have a great Deepavali holiday, guys, and will check in again in the not-too-distant. Am now off to join the Sentosa throng for the day!!

Magoo

kaisa4282

Post by kaisa4282 » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 4:16 pm

I havent been (yet), but Brewerkz at Bukit Timah has a pub quiz night on Tuesdays, with 50% off pints. You can find the info on their website.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 4:47 pm

Didn't have much luck today gang as it's a public holiday and I had to do some cleaning...will keep you all posted. Mr. P

PS> Here's a starting question: Two very significant episodes in modern Western history occurred in 1966. What were they?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 6:07 pm

I went to the NAM is one of them! :-$
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 8:15 pm

England won the World Cup is the obvious one, not sure of the other!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 9:08 pm

OK guys- it's a happenin' thing! Thanks to kaisa4282 we have an event.
Does anyone want to make a table tomorrow night Tuesday.? I'm happy to book it but need numbers by tomorrow at 4.oopm so please reply or PM me if you're interested and I'll confirm. It starts at 7.30 pm and they require a booking when they open at 4.00pm. Let me know yeah? See details below.

Brewerkz Bukit Timah
903 Bukit Timah Road
Singapore 589620
Tel: (65) 6464 8155

Operating Hours
Mon – Fri & PH Eve: 4pm - 1am
Sat: 11am - 1am
Sun & PH: 11am - 12mn
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 9:55 pm

Just wanted to add that the place in HV is Turnstyles, they have two quizzes a week I think. They are in Lorong Liput down by all the pet shops and Parisilk. I think it is Tuesdays and maybe Thursdays but not sure, I think you need a team for that.

The Old Brown Shoe on Bukit Timah Road just near Coronation Plaza used to have quiz nights on Wednesdays, once again not sure if they still do.

1966? The Saints won the VFL Grand Final...that was of world importance at the time... :D Well it was in Melbourne anyway... :P
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

Hi Ozchick

Post by Allibert » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:16 pm

I'm up for it. Please let me know if it's on.

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave Magoo » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:37 pm

Kool and the Gang, all.

Thanks for all the tip-offs...looks like there's a fair few to select from - great stuff. Am deffo up for joining a team at some point, but can't make the next two Tuesdays I'm afraid as work carries me out of town already -thanks for the invite tho, Oz and all...can't PM as yet by the looks of it.

Go for it anyway, post how it all went, and try to keep a place for me on one of the teams that you'll hopefully form. I'm hopefully worth my weight in beer :)

Catch you laters

Pommie Magoo

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave Magoo » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:43 pm

As for 1966, World Cup win for sure. I hope the other isn't the fact that it was also the year Monsieur Cantona was born :roll: !!

I remember the t-shirts proclaiming the fact...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:18 am

I don't see much significance in England winning the world cup. At least as far as Western History is concerned.

How about these?

China fired it's first Nuclear Bomb elevating it into that elite club.

Miranda v. Arizona decision by the US Supreme Court regarding self-incrimination under the 5th amendment

The US bombing of North Vietnam starts
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 1:51 am

Ah, so this is what dear Ozchick is on about. Count me in for tomorrow, I mean later today. I've lived here all my life and never been to these places. You expats are quite useful after all, showing me a different side of my country! Plus I can't say no to Ozchick. :D

Er, why is SMS doing the quiz thing on this thread... isn't a pub quiz supposed to take place in a pub? Or has he been drinking too much already? :P