Singapore Expats

ENTREPASS and EPonline Checking...

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
tixe

ENTREPASS and EPonline Checking...

Post by tixe » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 1:48 am

Some background and questions:
• I am having my EntrePass application, business plan, etc. hand-delivered to SingPost by an acquaintance in SG, since I am not in the country.
• I would like to log in to EPonline to check the status myself in the coming weeks, as mentioned on MOM website.
• However, EPonline seems to state that I need an ACRA number and/or a SingPass and/or registration papers "from the respective professional body" and/or proof of CPF contributions to have access to EPonline.

It all seems a bit circular, chicken and egg - part of the point of applying for an EntrePass is that you can apply for ACRA AFTER EntrePass approval. I can't get a SingPass UNTIL I have some legal work status...which again is why I'm applying for EntrePass. My business is not registered in any way in SG, and I don't plan to do that until I have EntrePass approval. And until my business is running, I can't make CPF contributions. So how can I possibly apply for and use EPonline to check EntrePass status?!

So how can I check status online? Or I've seen some other posts where people are calling to speak with someone on the phone - who are you calling? What information are you giving them to track your status?

Thanks for any help!

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:46 pm

If memory serves me right once you've applied they normally email you with confirmation and provide you with a number that you can use (eventually ends up as your FIN) for you to check your on-line status. Hopefully you provided them with an email address. They do correspond that way most of them time and it's also alot quicker in getting responses rather than snail mail.

Times vary on approval depending on quantities of applicants and also the quality of your application.

Once and if you're approved you then have 30 days to register your company and 6 months to collect your entrepass. If none of those are done I think (and this is a guess) that you have to go through the application process again.

Once you have your FIN and your pass you can then get your singpass etc etc.

Hope that helps.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 3:38 pm

Well, I must say that is pretty bizarre. On the MOM website it says that you do not need to login to check the status of an EP application but when you go to the check status screen it does indeed ask for an NRIC/FIN number. I can see how you would be stymied. This seems like a bug to me.

https://eponline.mom.gov.sg/epol/PEPOLE ... yAction.do

Since I have an NRIC number I will be happy to check for you, if you wish. You don't get much information... it will only say 'accepted', 'pending', 'rejected' with no additional information. So, your application would be pending if it is progressing normally or if they have asked for additional information via your local SG address or they are doing a deep dive on you.

When you do log in you get this screen (part of it).

MOM no longer sends letters to inform of the assigned FIN and/or application number (according to the website) so you will need to provide me with a passport number by the looks of things. I'd suggest email to me if you want to proceed.

MOM does not send approval notice for an Entrepass by email, nor does it use email to ask for additional information so make sure that your local SG address is correct and checked for mail once in a while.

tixe

Post by tixe » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 3:46 pm

thank you both for the information and kind offer to help. i guess i'll wait and see for now, and share any update.

am i really the only one in this situation? i figured a lot of people applying for EntrePass would find this same confusion.

and if email doesn't work, what about phone calls - who would i call to get status information? (MOM? SPRING? which department/division/phone number?)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 4:37 pm

When I got my Entrepass there was no online facility. I made an application and heard zero, nothing, nada, even though I had submitted with a local address for communications. I finally flew over... seems they wanted some additional documentation but had sent the request to the wrong local address. I appeared the next morning at MOM with the documents but the had already processed my AIP letter. I was good to go but I would never have discovered the wrong address had I not personally gone down to find out what happened.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 9:01 pm

The website is extremely frustrating and ill thought out so you are not alone!
You can call them on 64385122 and use the automated service but this too can be frustrating and there is no option to ever speak to an actual person.
They really should revise their forms online as they ask for repeat information several times and information that you wouldn't yet have.
So frustrating...but Good Luck :-)

tixe

Post by tixe » Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:16 am

Here's an update, in case anyone is curious:

• It's been over 3 weeks since my application was received at SingPost. No reply or update.
• So, I attempted to email the MOM address and request a status update. Got a reply that said they would look into it. Then got an automated reply saying they were looking into it. (Each one of these emails comes with a friendly "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLY TO THIS EMAIL" at the bottom. Helpful.) Then nothing more for several days now.
• So, I called the MOM number from the website (and recommended here by Thaiclan). As stated, it is only an automated system which eventually asks for a FIN # to proceed...same circular silly problem as the website!
• So, I just surfed around and came upon a SPRING telephone number. Imagine my surprise when an actual human answered! ...Only to tell me I needed to contact MOM. I pleaded and was eventually transferred to another human at SPRING. This person was trying to be helpful and took my name and transaction number. After a moment holding the line, I was told that SPRING had not yet received my application from MOM!! As I understand it, both MOM and SPRING have to review the application before approval, so it is disappointing to learn that after more than 3 weeks, my application hasn't even left MOM!
• SPRING human "will look into it" and email back with any news...

tixe

Post by tixe » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 2:20 pm

The good news...

After much paperwork and waiting, I have finally received my Approval In Principal letter for the EntrePass.

The rest...

That felt good for about 5 seconds until the reality of more confusion and paperwork set in.

So, now I have to register the business with ACRA quickly. I hoped to do this online myself, but again, have run into the circular mess of not yet having a SingPass/SingPass ID and therefore not being able to access the online application process.

I'm busy running my business and far from Singapore, so also not convenient for me to spend 1,000+ euros and 17 hour plane flight to wait in line and find out more info/apply in person.

So how can I get this done quickly? What are my options? Again, it seems many EntrePass applicants must be in the same position, yet so little clear and direct information is provided by Singapore.

Help!!

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 2:39 pm

basically you have to instruct a company or a person who has a singpass.

I used a company called dp bureau to do it for me. It's not a bad way of doing it but have you got a business address here? You can't do one without the other. Remember you only have 30 days to register the business otherwise you have to start again!

I took up a basic serviced office to allow me to get registered. There's a few around and prices vary but initially I'd take the basic package, well at least until you get here then once you have sorted out your own premises then you can re-register the business at that address.

And yes you are right. You do have to figure it all out for yourself.

tixe

Post by tixe » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 9:50 pm

OK - it's all coming together with a lot of effort. Found an agency in Singapore to complete my ACRA registration remotely - hope this step is completed. My next step is to await EntrePass processing ("2 weeks"), then pick it up in Singapore.

Two more questions (I know, neverending, but thanks for everyones' advice - keep it coming - I'm almost there!)

1) When/by whom is the $3,000 bond ("$3,000 in a bank so that they will issue an indemnity bond," "a security deposit of S$3,000 in the form of a Banker’s Guarantee for this application") required? So far, there has been no mention of it by Singapore authorities. (I've registered as Sole Proprietorship)

2) Once the EntrePass is created, how long do I have to pick it up? I'm not in Singapore at the moment and cannot make it there for some time. What's the maximum time I can wait to claim it?
Last edited by tixe on Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 9:59 pm

The bond bit is the tricky bit actually.

What happens, well in my case anyway, you have to open a new account with a local bank and get them to do almost like a time deposit account. Speak to MOM and ask them for a letter that they require and then get the bank to look it over, send it to the legal bods, charge you and then get them to pop it on their letterhead and send it to yo or MOM. Thats what I did with Citibank, who were to pt it bluntly... useless!!

Alternatively I think OCBC do this quite easily as they have a form on-line. You have to put the money into the account and then they hold it there for you/MOM should it be required.

I think I still have a copy of the letter I was sent originally by MOM but it's worth checking it out with them directly. They were extremely helpful.

If memory serves me correct once you have all of this in place you go to MOM with ALL of the docments and then they check through them and then issue the stamp and then tell you to come back the next day to pick up your pass. Very simple.

You have six months from your LOA date to come in and pick up your pass. I don't think they've changed but again well worth checking with MOM.

amitgohil4444

Need to Check EP Status

Post by amitgohil4444 » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 2:34 pm

Hi everybody,

I applied for EntrePass before 15 days. I don't have FIN or Singpass so I need help to check my application status. I check today at https://eponline.mom.gov.sg/epol/PEPOLU ... yAction.do

But It says "no record found" so have to check by login into EP Online.

Please help me to check it. My passport no. is A4212854.

Thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 3:33 pm

Why would you be checking on the Employment Pass online site? You have applied for an EntrePass according to your post.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Re: Need to Check EP Status

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 4:33 pm

amitgohil4444 wrote:Hi everybody,

I applied for EntrePass before 15 days. I don't have FIN or Singpass so I need help to check my application status. I check today at https://eponline.mom.gov.sg/epol/PEPOLU ... yAction.do

But It says "no record found" so have to check by login into EP Online.

Please help me to check it. My passport no. is A4212854.

Thanks in advance
You should have been assigned a FIN when the application was processed by SingPost. Have you reviewed your receipt? It takes a minimum of 14 days to be put up online.

amitgohil4444

EntrePass status Check

Post by amitgohil4444 » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 1:47 pm

Hi,

I didn't review that receipt. I don't have FIN or Application number.
I am in India and my application was submitted by other person.
Can you check by Passport Number ?