Singapore Expats

Student Visas

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
katarina_toohey

Student Visas

Post by katarina_toohey » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 5:29 pm

Does anyone know of an agent that can assist with student visa applications? Katarina Toohey

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 6:31 pm

Hi Katerina and welcome to the forums. Could you let us know a little more about your situation? For example, are you applying to a University here? Do you have a degree or a diploma?

Your best start for researching this is at the Ministry of Manpower site. You'll find that here http://www.mom.gov.sg and look through the site.

I personally am unaware of agents that will assist - however I am in a totally different situation. Maybe some of our other regulars will be able to assist you better.

HTH, Mr. P

katarina_toohey

Post by katarina_toohey » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 7:31 pm

It is not for me, but my primary school daughter. We are applying for a student visa for her (administered through immigration, ICA). For student visas you need a local sponsor. This needs to be an individual that is either a PR or a Singapore citizen. This person will be responsible for our daughter's repatriation to Australia, should repatriation be required (although extremely unlikely). As we don't personally know any PRs or citizens, we need to hire an agent who can provide this professional service for a fee. Anyone has any ideas of where to turn?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 7:57 pm

Might be a silly question, it's not the first time from me, but what visa will you be holding while in Singapore?

katarina_toohey

Post by katarina_toohey » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 8:11 pm

As the mother of a primary school student with a student visa, I get a visa to stay and care for her. My husband doesn't need a visa, because he will fly in and fly out with his work.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 8:16 pm

Ok :?

Silly question number 2, why send your kid to primary school in Singapore?

denisb

Post by denisb » Sun, 26 Oct 2008 4:00 pm

Katarina,
I think it would be best for you to check on the ministry of education website plus discuss your option with a staff at the ministry of education as you might not get a trust worthy agent without a good recommendation from a close friend.

good luck.
Denis