Singapore Expats

Expats, do you think Singapore is that boring place?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Oct 2008 7:17 am

Hey CM, not taking that long to see things the way a lot of us do is it? And you thought we were always just trying to take the mickey in the beginning didn't you! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

igrok24

Post by igrok24 » Wed, 22 Oct 2008 9:09 am

I have friends, who live in Paris, London,NY and some of them say it's boring and there is not much to do(! )We lived in London for a few years, at fist it was OK ( you go to all museums etc...) after that you get sick of pubs and terrible weather and your only option is - stay home or go to shopping malls :D Summer time is OK, but winter is terrible. May be there is something inside us, that makes life boring? :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Oct 2008 2:58 pm

Oh, I don't know, during the summer's at home there was always skiing with my ski-boat which was trailerable so we went wherever we felt like going and backing down the plentiful boat ramps on most lakes and rivers and went skiing, or fishing, or crabbing or just pleasure boating and partying. Or, we went surfing (only lived a hour from the Atlantic). Summer's were always pretty full and not enough hours.

Winter times? skiing trips up in the mountains, ice skating on the rivers & lakes, hunting (primarily deer and fowl - ducks, geese, quail & turkey) didn't even have to leave my property for that. We didn't need to queue for hours to get through immigration with our cars or trucks and were allowed to tow our boats as far as we wanted to.

Mountains, plenty of 'em on the east coast about an hours drive away - again, only an hour's drive.

Nope, Singapore can't hold a candle to home. Fortunately, I hope to be going back in about 4 more years for good. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

igrok24

Post by igrok24 » Wed, 22 Oct 2008 7:51 pm

Sure :) " East or west, home is BEST" :D But you were younger(?) :wink: - 1st thing.
2nd thing - sounds like nostalgia to me :) When you compare everything good what happened to you in the past to the worst that's happening at the present. Common feeling :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:13 pm

Obviously you don't have a clue...... :roll:

I still go home as I have a 200+ acre waterfront farm there waiting for my retirement don't need to be 20 to go boating, fishing, crabbing, hunting....

Course at 61 I probably still think a lot younger than you do.....

Why is it nostalgia? I do it every time I go home depending on the season, my age is only relative to a calendar and not my body or mind.

I feel sorry for you.

igrok24

Post by igrok24 » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 9:10 am

feel sorry for yourself :wink: You are the one who had enough of Singapore :) I did't say you are old and grumpy. Sorry if you read it this way :cry:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 2:01 pm

Nah, it's not a "have had enough of Singapore" as much as it's a "not having enough of my farm" and that tugs harder every year.

Most people get homesick after 2 or 3 years. It's taken 2 or 3 decades in my case! :wink:

igrok24

Post by igrok24 » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 2:22 pm

You are lucky - you can go for a visit. I can't - just one thought of 26 hour flight drives me crazy :shock:

lilai

Post by lilai » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 4:02 pm

igrok24 wrote:To those?who think Singapore is boring...

What do you normally do in YOUR country on weekends or after work?
That's exactly what I was thinking. When I lived in London, how often do you think I walked by Big Ben? Vistited the British Museum? Saw a concert? Rarely...because even if you are living in a big city, normal life usually centers around your living area.....

Could I see myself living here forever? No. True. Eventually I would get bored and would long too much for my home country. But for 5 years? No way. For me personally, Singapore is a great place to live, since I am a very active person and beeing here gives me so many oportunities - especially when it comes to sports outdoors. You can meet so many people from all around the world and if you cant talk politics with Singaporeans why dont you talk to other Expats? There are enough of them out there.....

I just chatted with a collegue, she was sent 2 years ago to Barcelona. Now Barcelona is in my eyes one of the most exciting cities in the world, that has next to all. My collegue is bored there and will return home next year. Because she didnt manage to meet any people and she doesnt do any acitity. Like this, even Barcelona is boring....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 7:13 pm

igrok24 wrote:You are lucky - you can go for a visit. I can't - just one thought of 26 hour flight drives me crazy :shock:
Sounds like we've got the same problem! My farm is on the east coast of the US about an hour from the atlantic ocean. I hate the flight but I've always been an easy flyer. My family are the ones that have the problems. The flight's gotten shorten over the years since we can now fly the semi-polar route and come through immigration at O'heara instead of LAX or Frisco. It's just an hour & a half down to BWI for me then another 1.5 hours to the farm. But yeah, still a darn long haul. :o

Baglovers

Post by Baglovers » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 5:42 pm

we should just stop complaining about the place we live as I believed wherever you go, you will still havin the same old complain... :p

don't wait or ask the place to please you, you got to ask, search till you found the answer..

lots of people that complain actually just too lazy to go out there yet complaining there is nothing you can do in Singapore..

I'm sorry for being harsh.. but if you've chosen Singapore to live, why don't you just stop complaining and live with it?

if you don't like it here, why in the first place you choose to live in Singapore..
www.charisasher.com - I love Charis Asher

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 6:23 pm

Baglovers wrote:we should just stop complaining about the place we live as I believed wherever you go, you will still havin the same old complain... :p

don't wait or ask the place to please you, you got to ask, search till you found the answer..

lots of people that complain actually just too lazy to go out there yet complaining there is nothing you can do in Singapore..

I'm sorry for being harsh.. but if you've chosen Singapore to live, why don't you just stop complaining and live with it?

if you don't like it here, why in the first place you choose to live in Singapore..
First of all, if people don't complain, nothing will ever change for the better. That is why LKY was the leader who Singaporean loved to hate because he made you change whether you liked it or not.

As far as why people are often where they are? Sometimes they don't have a choice when their company sends them here. Or, they meet someone who marries them and they have to live here for possible family reasons. Or, they are just here for the money. When you see something wrong, if you don't say anything, then you are as bad as the person doing wrong as you, by not registering your negative feelings, are approving of said action. Therefore, speak up. That's the only way anything will ever change.

Baglovers

Post by Baglovers » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:28 am

well moderator, agree with your points.. esp this

"That is why LKY was the leader who Singaporean loved to hate because he made you change whether you liked it or not. "

:lol:

I just can't stand it when people keep complaining...
:oops: my bad temper..

if we have too much time on hand to complain, why don't we make Singapore a more pleasant place to live instead of keep complaining or thinking, "boring.. boring.. boring"..

:)
www.charisasher.com - I love Charis Asher

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 7:08 am

Slowly, slowly. It takes time. I've seen lots of changes in the 25 years I've been here, but slowly. Just think, complaints of boring, boring, boring got us bartop dancing?! :P Do you think we'd have gotten that or anything else relaxed hadn't there been complaining?

Jojoleona
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jojoleona » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 10:44 pm

i find tt spore is q boring as thr's nothing much u cn do at nite..
n during day time besides shoppin, thr's nth much to do too...
reali hope spore will come up w some interesting places for us to play or chill out...
:D
When there's a will, there's a way.