Singapore Expats

Procedure for Deferment from NS - I've checked!

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
chopin_88

Post by chopin_88 » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:03 pm

oh :o but I am not 21 yet, I am still 20. but would you recommend me to go to singapore BEFORE my 21st birthday to settle the matters straight? because I definitely do not want to stay away from singapore for my WHOLE life, impossible!
is there really no way out of this complicated case?? :(

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Post by Petales Soufflez! » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:21 am

Chopin, I think you've missed the point.

If at 13 your parents hadn't asked CMPB for permission to defer NS for you and be granted it, and since from the look of things you have not served NS, then being 20 or 21 wouldn't change anything.

You have to serve NS whether you want to keep your Singapore citizenship or not. In other words, if you wish to renounce your Singapore citizenship, they normally wouldn't allow you to do so without first serving NS.

I would advise you to write to CMPB from wherever you are to ask for the procedures if you really want to return to Singapore at least for visits. Because right now I believe that if you come to Singapore they will arrest you and not let you out of the country until you've served NS - that is if they do not put you into jail first.

You can always try your luck entering the country with your foreign passport, but if you were born in Singapore, it would normally be mentioned in it and you risk being discovered.

For my son, if for some reason CMPB should reject his NS deferment, and if I want him to be able to return to Singapore for visits etc, I will have to accept to pay bond until he does NS and of course he'll do his NS before renouncing his citizenship.

I know that the rules surrounding this NS and citizenship business can be hard to swallow, but they do have their own logic and reasons for existing - for now. We didn't choose the country in which we were born in, but even then we're really luckier than many in this respect, so I will take things in their right measure and as they come. And that's just me, of course.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

chopin_88

Post by chopin_88 » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 2:13 am

@ petales

even though I did not have a singapore passport beyond the age of 11 will not change the situation? cuz I heard something of socio economic benefits of the singapore citizenship, something like that right?
and singapore refused to extend the passport because of NS and since my 11th age I got a polish citizenship and a polish passport and I left singapore with nine years old, thus at a very young age
oh my god I am so afraid...

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Post by Petales Soufflez! » Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:12 am

Chopin, actually not having a Singapore passport after the age of 11 could be to your advantage, but not asking for NS deferment when you were 13 reduced it.

No point being afraid in the dark, I would really advise you if you're sincere about wanting to settle this issue to contact CMPB by email [email protected]. Explain your situation and see what they say.

At least after that you'll know where you stand and can make informed decisions about your life vis-à-vis Singapore.

Good luck!
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

chopin_88

Post by chopin_88 » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 4:10 am

but there is one other thing.. I do not even know whether I still have the singapore citizenship. because I was stateless before I obtained the polosh citizenship and furthermore the passport only shows [u]ONE[/u] citizenship. and that is the polish one. that's why I do not know whether I am still a sg. citizen..[/u]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:51 am

chopin_88,

If you ever had Singaporean Citizenship as a child, you were most certainly NOT STATELESS. You may well have claimed as much but it just means now you have, in all probability, broken the laws of two countries instead of just one. Not having a passport is not being stateless. It just means you don't have a passport. It does not mean you don't have citizenship.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chopin_88

Post by chopin_88 » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:07 pm

oh I see, well according to all these posts there seems to be no more hope for me :D
lol

Stylista

Post by Stylista » Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:05 pm

I'm not sure if I should post on this thread or the "exemption from ns" thread but I will try my luck here first.

A Singaporean male left SG at around 11 years of age. When he was 14, he went back to SG for a vacation. We were told that we have to get him an I/C and so we did, and an exit permit was given.

But now at 17, he received his call up letter telling him to report in Oct. So we called up CMBP, and they said that there was some sort of mistake on the previous exit permit and that we have to fill up the form so that they can grant us a new permit.

My question is, is it too late to give up the Singapore citizenship?

And how long can we defer the NS?

888max

Post by 888max » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 6:31 am

Stylista wrote:I'm not sure if I should post on this thread or the "exemption from ns" thread but I will try my luck here first.

A Singaporean male left SG at around 11 years of age. When he was 14, he went back to SG for a vacation. We were told that we have to get him an I/C and so we did, and an exit permit was given.

But now at 17, he received his call up letter telling him to report in Oct. So we called up CMBP, and they said that there was some sort of mistake on the previous exit permit and that we have to fill up the form so that they can grant us a new permit.

My question is, is it too late to give up the Singapore citizenship?

I think your son is pretty much 'done' for.
He has to come back to SG to serve out his 2yrs NS regardless whether he intends to renounce SG citizenship or not ? All because you applied for him his SG I/C at age 14yrs..

At 17yrs, I don't think he will be allowed to defer anymore exit permit.

Mindef already stated very clearly that they don't allow any ,male s'poreon to finish their degree overseas without first done with their NS duty. It seem unfair to those s'poreons who finished their A ' level & dipolma , MUST enter into their NS service first.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 8:18 am

Stylista wrote:My question is, is it too late to give up the Singapore citizenship?

he can only officially give up his singaporean citizenship AFTER completing NS!

depending on how old he is now and where his parents and him are located at, a bond must be put up for him to stay abroad for an extended period of time.

if he's in a foreign university, it's unlikely he'll be allowed to defer past his first degree (and only if he doesn't return to singapore until AFTER his final semester's exams).

NS is good for him; you'll see him mature within the first 3 months and be proud of him for going through it.

just keep him fit and healthy and he'll fare fine.

chopin_88

Post by chopin_88 » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 8:56 pm

hmmm does anybone know whether singapore citizenship can be renounced WITHOUT having applied for deferment from NS??

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 9:37 pm

Sure, just come back to Singapore and do your national obligation and you don't need a deferment and then you can renounce your citizenship any time with 12 months of your 21st birthday.

They might defer someone for being of an extemely low IQ. You have been reading these threads for quite a while and you still have to ask that question? You will make good cannon fodder when they catch you. Obviously the answer is no. If you are out of the country without a deferment you are what is commonly referred to as a "DESERTER". Better not come back to Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 9:53 pm

Chopin_88 - I'm not Singaporean, but I live in Singapore with my lovely, charming, and beautiful wife. We're honoured to have been offered PR here.

It seems to Ms. C and I, that you're not only "shirking" your responsibilities and those of your son, but also actively attempting to avoid them. In some countries, not only is what you are trying to do an example of desertion, it can be considered by your own people as being an act of self-indulgence of the highest order.

If you don't want to be Singaporean without the obligations that are required, then why the HELL are you asking the question? Just stay wherever you are, and send your son back here. He might learn something you haven't - responsibility.

P & C

chopin_88

Post by chopin_88 » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:17 pm

this is such a complicated matter.
I ask because I am not sure.. you see.. and I want to go to Singapore, but the problem is damn NS.
By the way, it is possible to apply for deferment from NS pending the renunciation of Singapore Citizenship beyond the age of 13?
I really have to know that..
:(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:32 am

How many times must we tell you.......

Please go back to your first post and start reading. I've already told you and countless others umpteen times in these threads.......

You, my friend, would be a good candidate for a Darwin award. I think the government would do well to give you an exemption so as to not bring down the level of their military.