Singapore Expats

Australian couple relocating to Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
stradbroke

Australian couple relocating to Singapore

Post by stradbroke » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:52 pm

My husband and I (both Australians) are looking to relocate to Singapore next year for my husband's career. My husband is a professional and I will be giving up work to hopefully focus on becoming a Mum. Has anybody else moved to Singapore at this stage of their lives, and as a young Mum who won't be working, do you think I will have any problems making female friends (meet for coffee, glass of wine, playdates etc)? Will it be too much of a culture shock at such an important stage of our lives?

Any advice or personal experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated.

alanwisley
Regular
Regular

Post by alanwisley » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:15 pm

Hey.....dun worry, you and your husband will settle in well in singapore.....
Making new friends and also having activities that you will enjoy as time goes by as long as you are willing to start joining in the gathering organized along the way.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:53 am

You will be joining many others who have done exactly the same thing. Singapore is not that much of a culture shock and there are lots of places to meet up with like souls.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:32 am

Hi Stradbroke - yep similar position, however we don't have children. Relocated in JAN this year and we're settling in well, however we brought with us a very positive attitude (mainly that we were sick of paying 50% tax back in OZ, LOL!!!)

I cannot stress enough that a positive attitude will really help. Also, be aware that there will be some changes, distractions, possible annoyances, and that it's essential to take all of those in your stride, otherwise it's possible you may turn out to be bitter and twisted!!!!

You'll find meeting other expats pretty easy, both through the boards here and in general. Once you know when you'll be up and have done all your research, post back any questions and we'll try to help out as best we can - we're a friendly bunch on this forum!

Take care, P & C

Leone and John
Regular
Regular

Post by Leone and John » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 1:42 pm

Totaly agree with sierra2469alpha, coming here with a positive attitude is a big plus and just think..... you are getting away from that 47% tax sting too!

Takes time to meet new people, but in all honesty you will find the move well worth it...... get over the first month os so and you will wonder why you didn't move earlier. We have been here since Feb 2007 and not in any hurry to return to Australia.

email questions etc... most people on the forum are helpful. :-)

Good luck.
Leone + John Fabre
[ Singapore ]

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 3:18 pm

Hi.. I will be relocating in 3 weeks with my 4 yr old and 4mths old. Its going to be hard with two young kids, not sure how i am going to handle all the new changes.
Though i've had my fair share moving to new places, from Melbourne to Darwin and then to Canberra but this is overseas...
Guess we all learn from experience. :-|

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 3:48 pm

Amiee - you'll find heaps of support groups in terms of schools, expat clubs, etc. Don't worry! If you get stuck, just post back here and I'm sure we'll be able to point you in the right direction!

Good luck with your move! Oh, and I'm sure you don't miss those Canberra winters - I sure don't!

Cheers, P

Hildegard

Post by Hildegard » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 9:49 pm

hi,

i've been living in Singapore for over a year and a half now and although it was hard adjusting, my suggestion is to join some groups, clubs etc and once you have a good group of friends who will most likely be in the same situation its a lot easier.

I work as a nanny here, so i can suggest some great places for kids, and things like music groups and kids gym etc.

anitabatho

Post by anitabatho » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:49 pm

Hi - my husband and I moved here with our 7 yr old and 3 yr old twins, 2 weeks ago. We spent the last 4 yrs in NZ. I've spent my entire life moving and frankly it doesn't get easier but like the others I too think that a positive attitude is the most important thing. Also an acceptance that things are going to be different to what you're used to but that doesn't mean you won't grow to love those differences. It always helps for me to remind myself that it takes awhile to settle in and stop feeling so out of place. I didn't like NZ right away but I soon grew to love it and was sad to leave.
The great thing about Spore is that there are plenty of people here in your exact same position.
If you do end up moving - would be happy to meet up for a coffee, drink or playdate :)

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Tue, 21 Oct 2008 8:50 am

yes, definitely i won't miss Canberra's cold winter.

Thanks for all the support.

Just another question for all the parents or soon to be parents, have you thought about hiring a maid? Please don't all jump on my back and say that i am being lazy. I am still studying, trying to complete my MBA, i need someone to help me out with domestic chores, i will be doing the parenting thing myself. Any positive or negative experiences?? Would love to hear any comments.