Singapore Expats

sick maid

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
momeen

sick maid

Post by momeen » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 8:54 am

hi!
know this is early but need help!
my maid is sick and i've told her she must go to the clinic.
but how does this wrk? must i send a note, send her with money?
what do i do?
and she refuses to stop working.even yesterday, she has sundays off but
she still tidied up after i repeatedly told her to go lie down.
anyway, help needed.
thanxs.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:15 am

Treat her the same as any other stikc in the mud family member.

When you get of work take her to the Cklinic and pay for teh same way you would pay for one of your own family members.
Be Like Water

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:26 am

Make sure you take her work permit they need that before they can see her,

Worth checking with the agency to find out which doc they used for the initial check up as they may already have the records there.

If its too far away take her to the local clinic, you pay for it, if its a huge amount read the small print in your maids medical insurance.

realthomo

Post by realthomo » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 3:39 pm

I usually give my maid an amount of money and organise for her to go to the clinic by taxi - I have 3 very young children and can't put them all in the car to drive her to the doctor. I do pay all costs. Afterall, she is my responsibility and maids in general don't get paid a decent wage to cover costs like this. Make sure you get receipts for everything though.

I had the problem with my maid working whilst she was sick. I sat her down and explained that she would only get better if she rested, and then if I saw her working I would tell her to go rest immediately (in mock anger). She usually just smiled and went back to her room, then came back out again when she thought I wasn't looking. I hated that she felt guilty about being sick, it is something that existed from working for her previous employer (who, surprise surprise, treated her terribly). Anyway, these days she knows to take it easy when she is sick and she knows that she isn't letting me down and that I can cope quite well without her for a day or two. She also knows, if she starts to feel sick, to stay away from all of us as usually the whole household comes down with whatever she has. Most times, I just let her go and stay at her boyfriend's house so she can truly rest.

Oops, I have rambled on too long now!
Proud to be Australian!

momeen

thanxs!

Post by momeen » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 5:48 pm

thanxs for everyones input :)
we live just off river valley rd so the clinic is just 1 bus stop away.
i insisted she go this mornin. she came back with meds and i made her get
a letter from the doc which she did. i needed to know what had happened.
she has a cold.and like u said she comes back out to do some work after i keep telling her to go lie down! it's quite frustrating.
another thing is the doc said she needs more veges.the prob is she refuses to eat. i even dish out food for her but sometimes she won't touch it.she says she's dieting and she mostly eats bread and noodles! the doc prob thinks i'm not feeding her!
sorry to vent but it's annoying. and now she's sick.

alanwisley
Regular
Regular

Post by alanwisley » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 2:10 am

get the agency to talk to her on the food issue so that she understands that it is her responsibility to stay healthy in order to carry on her work.......

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:29 am

alanwisley wrote:get the agency to talk to her on the food issue so that she understands that it is her responsibility to stay healthy in order to carry on her work.......
That's cold - True but very cold.
Be Like Water

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:02 am

Alanwisley sounds almost Singaporean?

alanwisley
Regular
Regular

Post by alanwisley » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:52 pm

Yup i am a pure local. Hehehe.....

Anyway, after talks to the maid have been done, i think it would be good that the agency is able to step in to have a talk with the maid if she still does not want to eat......

The agency should have a better understanding to the culture of the maid in terms of comunication. During the talk, maybe the emplyer can be at the same time letting the maid know that if she gets sick becoz she is not eating then it will actually make situation bad for her ownself.......

Just 2 cents of thoughts from my experience handling maids......