Singapore Expats

work visa singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
wattsup78

work visa singapore

Post by wattsup78 » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 12:39 pm

hi, my girlfriend has a job in an International School here. i have just arrived and we plan to live together. i am here now on a 30 day visa and would like to get a work visa and permission to stay for the 2 years that she will be here. i do not have a degree. would this affect me getting the permission to stay here?

anyone with info on this, please let me know,

thanks guy

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 2:13 pm

The only way you can get a work visa is to find an employer here who is willing to hire you and apply for one. You cannot apply, only your employer can. Short of that, maybe an entrePass if you were to try to start your own company. You can read Here for more information on that, or possibly a PEP if you can qualify.

Short of that, you are up the creek I'm afraid.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wattsup78

Post by wattsup78 » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 2:33 pm

can i not get permission to stay and start looking for work once i get that visa to stay with her. and if not can i keep coming back and forth on a 30 day visa?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 9:05 pm

wattsup78 wrote:can i not get permission to stay and start looking for work once i get that visa to stay with her. and if not can i keep coming back and forth on a 30 day visa?
You can't get a visa to stay with her. You're not married. You can try to leave the country every 30 days and get a new stamp but after a while they will catch you and not let you back in.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 9:08 pm

Wattsup78 - this question has been answered so many times here. Please try to use the search feature here. Search for dependants pass, and then take some time to do the research yourself.

If you then have specific details we'll help you - but we do like to help those who help themselves first, rather than doing the work for them :)

Post back with any specific questions

Cheers, Mr. P

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:20 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You can't get a visa to stay with her. You're not married.
That's not quite true -- you can get a long term visit pass through a "common law marriage", which basically means convincing Singapore that you've been living together for a while and convincing your embassy to document this somehow. This is quite a painful and bureaucratic process though.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... uired.html

And now that I've said that, I've gotta add that you're an absolute plonker to first move to Singapore and only then even start looking into how to stay here legally. Good luck digging your way out of your own hole, you'll need it...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague