Singapore Expats

The demise of the expat (package)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
o-zee-expat

The demise of the expat (package)

Post by o-zee-expat » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 2:23 pm

Hi.
I'm wanting to guage whether other people are hearing of housing allowances being cut, expats being moved onto local rates, no more company-paid school fees, club memberships, etc.
Is this is a new phenomenon, or has it been going on for several years now?
Are financial services companies cutting out the "comprehensive expat remuneration packages" more than other companies, and particularly in the wake of the turmoil on Wall Street?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 3:50 pm

I think this is a trend that has been going on for some time now and for a variety or reasons.

First, this posting is not exactly hardship Asia. Modern infrastructure, low crime rates, excellent eating and entertainment means it is not really necessary to pay that salary premium to get someone to come out here, as opposed to say, Nairobi, Kenya.

Second, while housing has gone up, it is still not as bad as some major cities and costs will probably drop in the future. So while a company might want you to live comfortably, a new housing allowance might insure that you live more in line with what you used to live in at home, and not something more palatial.

Perhaps cars are the one area where an expat might ask for an allowance since buying one is very expensive. But even then, public transportation is good, taxis plentiful, and used cars within reach and a company might rethink the size of a car allowance.

School is probably the one area where an allowance makes sense. Good private schools are expensive, and having seen something of public schools I would choose to place my kids in private school.

On the whole, though, Singapore is a good/great destination in Asia and many people want foreign experience on their resume so it will be harder to demand packages when others will do the trip without.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 5:22 pm

Expat package is pretty much dead here except for flights home and relocation allowances.

Singapore is getting expensive as well.
Be Like Water

o-zee-expat

Post by o-zee-expat » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:11 pm

Hi. if you're interested in talking on-the-record to a reporter about this, please send me a message. thanks

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 3:13 pm

OZE - At least you've come out and told us you are a reporter...although only after a couple of replies! Thanks for that! Usually we get the lazy and I mean VERY lazy local journalists who ask a loaded question the voila 2 days later there just happens to be an article about it in the paper as if by magic, with quotes and everything!

Keep up the fairly good job and please let us know again in the future when you are fishing for information - as long as you're honest about your intentions, you should get some good insight from the folks on here!

Cheers
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

o-zee-expat

Post by o-zee-expat » Sat, 04 Oct 2008 1:32 pm

My conscience is clear. I can't see why journalists can't use these forums for guaging opinion and to seek would-be interviewees. Though, I don't think it's appropriate these conversations appear in print, and certainly not without the originator's consent.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 2:39 pm

o-zee-expat wrote:My conscience is clear.
i hope your nick isn't misleading and you're indeed an "o-zee-expat".

good bastards, them!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:02 am

honey trap?