Singapore Expats

Another on bites the dust! 28yr old passes away in sleep!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:15 pm

saint73 wrote:Thanks God giving u alive, healthy, jobs and house to live without any disasters... :D :twisted:
OMG another one oblivious to reality.............. :roll:

brightmoonx

Post by brightmoonx » Sat, 06 Jan 2007 3:26 pm

Did the check you out for tuberculosis? That causes you chest xray to be cloudy too
Live it up! :)

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 10 Jan 2007 6:09 pm

Plavt wrote:Hmmm.......two things; keep a good eye on that stabbing pain in the ear, I get that but it's related to something I already know about, hope your not going down the same road. That of people dying in their sleep is known to happen to male Filipinos although I can't remember the details, it was mentioned in one of the Lonely Planet travel guides but others have been published since.
I'm a bit late in responding here. But the term is bangungot (Filipino). It's supposed to happen to Filipino males.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

angelica000
Regular
Regular

Post by angelica000 » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:45 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:
Plavt wrote:Hmmm.......two things; keep a good eye on that stabbing pain in the ear, I get that but it's related to something I already know about, hope your not going down the same road. That of people dying in their sleep is known to happen to male Filipinos although I can't remember the details, it was mentioned in one of the Lonely Planet travel guides but others have been published since.
I'm a bit late in responding here. But the term is bangungot (Filipino). It's supposed to happen to Filipino males.
It can also happens to any genders, males and females, actually, Bangungot word is an experience which is worst than a nightmare. According to some studies, the cause of bangungot has something to do with the effect of improper digestion.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:21 am

what's with bringing up the old thread? :roll:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 25 Sep 2008 4:08 pm

EADG wrote:
my conclusion is that I'm simply allergic to Singapore
Me too. And we're not alone. Have also been told to avoid 5 different foods cos of sinus-related problems. Not satisfied at all with this. Have spent thousands on ENT and allergy tests trying to get to the bottom of this. 'Walking pneumonia" (mycoplasma) which I have had and probably still do have is VERY common here in Sg and seems to be related to ongoing sinus problems that are influenced by humidity/ Air Conditioners, and the fluctuating temperatures that we face as we move from indoors to outdoors. I've forgotten what my normal voice sounds like. I sound like I have a constant cold and it seems there's nought that the ENT can do about this.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 7:34 am

Sounds like sick building syndrome.
That's pretty common in old buildings where the ventilation ducts are dirty and filled with mould/dust.
If you're working in an old building and there are black marks around your air con vents from dust blowing out, bring this to the attention of the landlord. It may be time for a cleaning. There are companies who clean air con ventilation ducts.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 9:18 am

hey ozchick - i was in the exact same predicament! over the past two years i've seen countless doctors, been on too many courses of antibiotics, had micoplasma 2x, on inhalers, antihistimines (sp?), steroid sprays.... even thought after 2 root canals my sinuses would clear up. i pretty much figured it was singapore - and sort of narrowed it down to old buildings and something in the botanic gardens.... but get this - last month i decided to do a 21 day body cleanse (no caffeine, sugar, alcohol, dairy, animal products) - i did it mainly b/c i was feeling pretty lethargic all the time and my sinus problem had reached an all time high (or should i say low?) - anyhow - after about a week my sinus cavities cleared up! i kid you not. mind you - the cleanse was pretty difficult that first week but now i'm past day 21 and feel really good. obviously it was something in my diet that was really triggering the sinus issues... now i just need to try and figure out what it was b/c lord knows i can't stay off wine, sugar and caffeine forever! the world is a better place when i'm hopped up on sugar :D
ps - the book i read was "quantum wellness" for the motivation to do the cleanse

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 9:49 am

Have you considered just giving up dairy, cbavasi? I've read that dairy is the cause of many of illnesses. Maybe try introducing the other food products you've eliminated (apart from dairy for now) slowly back into your diet and record your state of well being and health as you do so. It'll be easier to track down the root cause.

Good luck!
One man's meat is another's poison.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 8:13 pm

GC - i think you may be right! there are a couple people who mentioned the dairy thing and i do know that you aren't supposed to give kids a lot of dairy during colds b/c of mucous production. it's a bit scary only b/c i've finally "cleared up" after 2 years so reluctant to try things and feel miserable again... :?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 9:50 pm

ozzy, since I posted that I've come to realize the source of my allergies - it's simply from dust and mold, and back then I was not good about keeping the aircon serviced often enough. As I suspected I actually don't think I have allergies.

So it was from that, and that my maid was not too good and I only had her come once a week. Plus my clothes were not laundered as often as they are now - they were clean, but I have a lot so it could be weeks or months between wearings, if that's actually a word.

Do whatever you can to get rid of paper things like boxes, and keep the place aired well. See if that changes anything.

I think I posted this earlier, but I too went to an ENT, had the 5 major and many more minor food restrictions, started avoiding histamine foods, etc. and it helped, but I think those exacerbate the overall condition.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape