Singapore Expats

General Aviation in Singapore????

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
borderpilot

General Aviation in Singapore????

Post by borderpilot » Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:28 pm

:?: Is general aviation allowed in Singapore with appropriate licenses? I am considering a move there and have alot invested in ratings etc. and am wondering if I will be able to maintain proficiency over there?

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:07 am

See para 3.10 to 3.12.

http://appserver2.caas.gov.sg/CAASApp/afo/faq.html

Given the small land mass and plenty of restricted air space, flying within Sg means a very small circuit to the west of seletar airport, over some nature reserve.

Even the trainee airforce pilots train overseas!

The contact details for more clarification can be found in Para 5.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Re: General Aviation in Singapore????

Post by Yutenji » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:40 am

borderpilot wrote:... am wondering if I will be able to maintain proficiency over there?
Hi, yoongf's comments are spot-on! Flying in Singapore (a small place to begin with) is pretty much like being in a constant pattern/circuit! :roll:
One alternative (which I confess I haven't personally tried) is to go across to Malaysia (by land, not air) and go to one of the clubs there. Advantages are that it's reputed to be cheaper and they have a LOT more airspace to play with. Disadvantages are that you might want to be -very- careful about your pre-flight checks, if you get my suggestion (again, only a reputation) :shock: .
Good luck

Post by Guest » Sun, 06 Feb 2005 3:53 am

If you plan to do any flying of significance, you'll be flying to Malaysia or Indonesia. Might be a better deal if you rent a plane from Johor, or if you own, to hanger it in Malaysia. Probably save youself a lot of hassle having to do customs and immigration. I also believe costs for services would be chaper in Malaysia as well.

Post by Guest » Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:09 am

Anonymous wrote:If you plan to do any flying of significance, you'll be flying to Malaysia or Indonesia. Might be a better deal if you rent a plane from Johor, or if you own, to hanger it in Malaysia. Probably save youself a lot of hassle having to do customs and immigration. I also believe costs for services would be chaper in Malaysia as well.
Hi there,

Just a few quick questions for you:
Could a foreigner register a private plane in Malaysia?
What would it cost to hangar a plane and service it in Malaysia?
Could I fly into and out of Seletar airport and keep it here for a length of time? (If its regstered in Malaysia)
What are hangar and service costs in Singapore?

Thanks and Happy Trails! :)