Singapore Expats

Insects - very small, jumping - sudden infestation...

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:11 am

Hi Micknlea - just reserached those and judging by the diagram I found here: http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entom ... klice.html no.

These critters are very very small and have wings.

Thanks for the tip, though! P

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 5:38 pm

so what's the verdict on getting rid of them? shelltox or zap them with the "tennis racket"?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:06 pm

Durain - Mr Mortien helped, but there was a veritable blanket of the critters everywhere. Have sprayed the three bamboo trees with HiKill pyretheum spray. Thus far, no sign of them...

I checked SMS's links and they suggested looking for larvae about an inch from the top of the soil. I didn't find any, but as per a previous post, I think they might actually be getting in underneath our decking.

Cheers/ P & C

MODS: Someone care to take the security consultant lepper off please!!! Thanks!!!!!

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Wed, 27 Aug 2008 7:03 pm

Hello,

You have some options.

First of all, inform the management office. There will be a pest control contractor for the building and they will check if the problem comes from the common areas, in which case they will resolve this and may do treatment in your apartment for free. Otherwise they will charge you a fee for the treatment.

Secondly, your balcony sounds like a raised timber floor. There are gaps underneath for water to drain through to the concrete floor below and from there to the rain water downpipe concealed beneath the timber slats. This area has to be maintained and you should be able to lift the timber boards to clean the concrete floor below. Check with the management office on how to do this. As a side note, leaves and soil falling there can result in insect breeding, especially flies which feed off moist vegetation and also mosquitoes if there is stagnant water due to the floor trap being choked with leaves.

Thirdly, fumigate your apartment. Use a store bought insecticide and spray into the air with all windows and doors closed. Exit the aparment and wait ten minutes or so and then air out the apartment and clean up the dead flies.

Fourthly antibacterial/fungal paint can discourage some species of flies if your rooms are painted with these.

Fifthly these pests may be coming from a vacant unit near you which is not being properly maintained. Especially if the insects are coming into the house from the open balcony and you don't have insects breeding at your balcony. Inform the management of your suspicions.

Hope these tips helped.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 27 Aug 2008 7:46 pm

Phil30K - outstandingly helpful post - many thanks! I shall look into this. However, I have the out-laws arriving on FRI so hopefully they will scare them away!

I'm not sure if the boards can be lifted - there are no visible nail heads, so either they have done a very good job at getting them filled, or they have used some other method.

Interestingly, since the first two infestations, no others have appeared.

Mr. P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:17 pm

Be extremely careful if you fumigate your apartment using commercial fogging bombs. These can kill you as well if you are not careful.

Three years ago during the winter my mother got fed up with some crickets in the house. After several months of this she finally bought some commercially available fogging canisters and after duly reading the instructions she set several (3 or 4) on the floor around the ground floor of the house based on the measurement guidelines. She then vacated the house for 8 hours (twice as much as the 4 hours minimum recommendation. The following morning she almost was unable to call a neighbour and by the time the ambulance arrived she was in pretty bad shape. She stopped breathing as she was being wheeled into the ER at the hospital. They brought her back but she was a bit of a mess for the better part of a year. She still has problems occasionally.

Why? She followed the directions as she was supposed to but failed to cover her bed with plastic sheeting so the insecticide contained in the fog settled on her pillows and unknowingly (she has poor sense of smell) she slept on them and almost did herself in. If you have any allergies, please be aware of them and their triggers before trying to DIY your fumigation needs. It pays to pay a professional. Even now, she cannot use a can of raid or bygone in the house without having breathing problems.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 8:09 am

Thanks Mr. P.

Glad I was able to help and it's good news that the problem has ended.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 8:52 am

SMS - agreed - like the old "cockroach" bombs back in Oz....effective but extremely toxic!

Left Wing
Regular
Regular

Post by Left Wing » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 9:54 am

Costa Rhu condo has the same massive mozzie porblem...moved into a grd floor with patio..ah fresh breeze blah blah now cant keep the windows open in the eve or use the patio at night...... :mad: :mad: :x

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 1:04 pm

Nobody on this thread was talking about mozzies that I could see. A bit confused are we..........?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Left Wing
Regular
Regular

Post by Left Wing » Sun, 31 Aug 2008 6:22 pm

im just venting !... :mad:

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:52 am

Dear Left Wing,

Mosquitoes are an avoidable problem. If you are living in a condominium, inform the management office. They will, in turn, inform the pest control company. Who can then conduct checks on the common areas for mosquito breeding.

Without your feedback, these pest problems may go unnoticed.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:45 pm

Alternately, you can call NEA. The only problem with that however, is if they find mosquitos breeding on your property then you will get a $300 fine (if the 1st time) and a $1000 fine for subsequent instances.

Please do not do nothing however, not with Dengue and Chikungunya Fever still having stubborn pockets across the Island.