Singapore Expats

Value of MBA from NUS/NTU

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
dr_saket

Value of MBA from NUS/NTU

Post by dr_saket » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 4:22 pm

Hello Sir,
Last edited by dr_saket on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Re: Value of MBA from NUS/NTU

Post by krptykcookies » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 6:25 pm

dr_saket wrote: ... I have chosen Singapore bcz-
It offers a decent life style and is one of the safest and cleanest
places in the world.
It is also near my home country and located near good tourist spots.
overall a good quality lifestyle in the long term.
You absolutely sure you coming down for what's been listed above or are you coming down for the money (more rupees when converted from SGD)? :roll:
dr_saket wrote:I dont drink or smoke so the strict taxes and laws in Singapore are good for me.
I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, which I will not find in Singapore.

and no visa problems for me and my family.

I will get a PR easily.
Of course you will get a PR easily (go figure this out) but it would not be easy if you applied for citizenship!
dr_saket wrote:but I want a guaranteed job, not that after my MBA completes, I am
still searching for a job .

Thats why I decided not to go to Europe(Insead) or USA(Duke etc.)

and restricted myself to Asia.
There's no guarantee that when you complete your MBA you will get a job in SG. Especially with that salary figure you quoted above with only that number of years of experience that you have! You are competing with wannabe-docs who are Singaporeans (and these are the cream of the crop) and other nationalities.
dr_saket wrote: However I am confused between these schools-

1. IIM(Ahmedabad, India) - 1 yr management program(full time)
2. ISB(India)(FT rank 20)- 1 yr management program(full time)
3. NTU(Nanyang)- Full time MBA
4. NUS- Full time MBA

I want a guaranteed job post my MBA.
Like I said, there's no guarantee that you will get a job upon MBA graduation.
dr_saket wrote:IIM and ISB will give me a guaranteed job but not in Singapore.
Of course you will get a job in India! It's only when you are of a different nationality that's when prospective employers have to find a (very) good reason to hire you (for work permit endorsement purposes) and what's more when you have to compete with a big pool of wannabe-docs.
Cool as cool can be

dr_saket

I am not

Post by dr_saket » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 6:36 pm

you are very stupid
Last edited by dr_saket on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Re: I am not competing with singapore docs

Post by krptykcookies » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 6:43 pm

dr_saket wrote: and the salary I am quoting is not at all high considering the combination of medical degree and a MBA, which is rare in Asia Pacific region.
You will have to check your facts again. Combining a medical degree with an MBA is not 'rare' in AP.
dr_saket wrote:in 2007 batch of NUS MBA indian doctors got salary between 90,000 and 110,000 SGD. I just wanna know about the recruitment scene in health care industry in Singapore.
So, why don't you drop by at the the NUS open day and talk to these professors and alumni to get an idea?
dr_saket wrote: I do not fear the competition because none exists (medical degree+MBA)
You sound so sure about this :roll: So how come you are asking for a guaranteed job in SG in this forum?? :D
Cool as cool can be

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:47 pm

Is your medical degree recognised in Singapore?

If no competition exists then I'm sure you'll land a great job!

dr_saket

ya

Post by dr_saket » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 2:28 am

whats going on here/..??
Last edited by dr_saket on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 5:45 pm

First of all, there are no guarantees. As a Doctor you should know that already.

An MBA without practical experience in the field that the MBA is in, is a new degree holder without experience. Lots of those around. Hospital manager? Don't need to be an MD to manage a hospital. You need to be a good manager. Of course the Med degree helps as it shows you are at least familiar with a hospital but you would lose out to a MBA holder with a basic degree in management and relevant experience. :wink:

Additionally, MBA's are somewhat commonplace here in Singapore. It's nothing all that special. Even if it's a local one (although it can be viewed by locals a special as is their wont). I would have to agree with krptyk as the two degrees are not all that uncommon in the Asia Pacific. You may be just deluding yourself.

Oh, while your uni might be recognized, you need to ascertain whether your degree is. Just because you university has been recognized doesn't mean ALL the degrees conferred by that Uni are recognized. Some universities in India only have a single program that is recognized. You will have to check with the MOH & MOM regarding these.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dr_saket

well

Post by dr_saket » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 5:48 pm

????????
Last edited by dr_saket on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 9:58 pm

No, it means that you should choose your school based on the school's merits and not a guaranteed job. Do you do your diagnosis based on what the patient needs or on how much you can earn off the patient?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dr_saket

well

Post by dr_saket » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:11 pm

i dont understand
Last edited by dr_saket on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Re: well

Post by krptykcookies » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:31 pm

dr_saket wrote:the ultimate aim of diagnosis, investigations and treatment of the patient is to earn the money.
I wouldn't consult you as a patient if I knew you were more into the money-thingy than your calling as a doctor! :(
Cool as cool can be

dr_saket

well

Post by dr_saket » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:37 pm

why u doing this?????
Last edited by dr_saket on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Post by krptykcookies » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:41 pm

dr_saket wrote:well I know 100 doctors atleast. and no doctor aim is to serve humanity.
medicine is a profession, and aim of any profession is to earn money.
doctor is not a saint or a noble man.
he is a normal human with family and kids, who need money and all things that money buy.
aim of restaurant is to make money, not to fill stomachs of people.

similarly, job of doctor is to treat patients, but he/she does it for money.

if I start doing it for money, then I will first have to treat the countless poor people in my country, then how will I treat.

my life is not meant for charity.
What you mentioned above distinguishes a doctor who is highly respected in his profession from the sea of so called doctors who are only in this job for the money!

With this kind of mentality that you have, even with an MBA from NUS/NTU or whichever uni, is never going to take you far in terms of monetary rewards unless you have passion for what you do!
Cool as cool can be

dr_saket

well

Post by dr_saket » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:52 pm

whats happening??????
Last edited by dr_saket on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Post by krptykcookies » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:20 pm

dr_saket wrote:there were great industrialists in India such as Dhirubhai ambani, the creater of reliance industries, he was a very passionate money.
but he wanted a lot of money, same about his sons, which are following his footsteps.
he had used bribes, money power etc. etc. to make more money and was successful at the end.
there was a court case against him, but he came out after paying minor damages.
even the aim of MBA schools is to make money. They advertise a lot of false claims, manipulate statistics to show that their grads get high salaries.
even the banks, credit card companies do unethical advertising.
the whole system runs around money.
and you say that a doctor should just treat and forget the money part.
there are some noble people in this world with noble values, I agree, who do great, but then many times they come from rich families and do not need more money.
there are lots of people doing charity , e.g. Brad Pitt, but then they already have the money. If I become successful with money one day, I will also do a lot of charity and open a hospital, which will give free treatment to patients.
but I can not afford to do that now, bcz I am not from an affluent family.

I first need money for my family.
I am not saying that money is not important but what you are emphasizing is that money is central to everything else. This is what I mean by not having passion for your profession if money is the core factor.

In M'asia we have doctors and SAP consultants who come down from India to take jobs which for them converting the ringgit to rupees is a lot of money but from my experience (and what I read in the media) most of the (money-minded) docs do not stay long - ie the hospital or the employer do not renew their work permits after its expiry!
Cool as cool can be