Singapore Expats

scuba for beginners...?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by germangirl » Tue, 19 Aug 2008 7:35 pm

been to Pulau Aur a couple of times... it's good for Training for sure, easy dives most of the sites. 'quality' wise (visibilty etc) i think both Tioman and Aur/Dayang are about the same...

enjoy the diving !
we know what we are, but know not what we may be

dqromper

Tioman or Aur/Dayang

Post by dqromper » Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:04 am

In terms of facilities, such as hotels, sightseeing, etc, are both Tioman and Aur/Dayang the same? That could also be a point to consider when choosing.

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by germangirl » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:54 am

hm... P. Aur is very basic, no matter which resort you are staying at... no sightseeing as far as i know, it is just a tiny island (Dayang is just opposite Aur and even smaller) and there's lots of jungle, small beaches, and diving ;o)

Tioman gives more options on accomodation and might be nicer. Also, as the island is a bit bigger there are villages etc and more options of things to do on land.

If you don't mind basic, Aur and Dayang are great coz it's very remote. Until last year there wasn't even a handphone reception !

Usually those dive weekends to those islands consist of diving, eating and sleeping though...

hope that helps a bit !

dqromper

Post by dqromper » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:49 pm

Good information Germangirl. That is the deal breaker: if going with a group of people to dive or snorkel, Aur/Dayang or Tioman is a good choice. If going alone, perhaps Thailand (Phuket, Bangkok) or Bali are more appropriate destinations. Something to consider next March for me.

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by germangirl » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:41 am

right, P.Aur/Dayang or Tioman are great for Training as well as a good trip over a weekend with a group of friends, to get out of town and do some dives. No need to take any leave etc.

The 'nicer' dives will still be further away in Thailand, Phillipines or Indonesia, or, if Malaysia, in Sipadan. But here you should usually take a few days of leave to really get to enjoy it.

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Re: scuba for beginners...?

Post by Blue Sapphire » Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:36 am

icemountain wrote:thinking of taking up diving...

any good scuba shops in sg to recommend....?
Theres a shop inside lucky plaza, my husband bought his stuff from there.

Also want to learn scuba. My husband is a Master diver! But will take it up on my next trip to Maldives. Its the perfect place to dive.

Teema

Post by Teema » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 1:01 pm

We're good to go, thanks ;)

biapol

Post by biapol » Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:40 am

First of all - if you are new to diving, when you do the course, the rental of dive gear is included - you don't need to buy your own to start with. And even if you are certified, you can rent the equipment as well.

What I did though when I first took up diving was buy my own mask, as I found the rental mask were not really meant for Western face with high nose bridge.

Most of the dive shops are selling dive gear.
There used to be a good concentration of diveshops and gear shops in the Concourse, but this building is no more, so they have all relocated to different locations now.

Probably the largest dive (gear) shops are Waikiki and Orpheus "theSCUBAshop". If you are looking for particular brands, like RalfTech, they have their shop, which opens only by prior appointment, just give them a call - they are near Boat Quay. Google search the names for the latest locations.

For dive operators, I had good experience with Planet Scuba Divers. But others like Deep Blue as suggested are good too.

You can also check out the forum http://www.sgscuba.com/forum to read stories about local and regional diving, or ask your questions.

If you go on a dive trip to Tioman or Aur with a local operator, you will typically travel on Friday night, do 1 or 2 dives in the morning, have lunch, do 2 or 1 afternoon dives, 1 night dive at about 6pm, have dinner, some R&R at the resort, sleep, Sunday morning 2 morning dives, lunch and back to Singapore. So basically there is no time really to do any further sightseeing.

What you also could do if you want to go for a longer trip is arrange your own trip up to Tioman. Go to the main village of Kg. Tekek by ferry from Mersing. You will find resorts and dive operators there. I have good experience with Tioman East Divers and since recently they have their own resort as well.

Don't expect too much of the village though, it's really a "kampung" - a few restaurants etc. But you could probably do a non-diving day and rent bikes or transport to see some of the rest of the island.

If you going to Tioman with one of the Singapore dive operators, you'll be based in the southern part, which is sort of "stuck" in the resort just like when you go to Aur. Not a bad thing, after the diving you really just want have your dinner and relax...

Hope this helps!

five_elements99

Post by five_elements99 » Fri, 19 Sep 2008 4:22 pm

Hi,

I will be organising a PADI openwater dive trip on 31oct-1nov. Please email me at [email protected] or buzz me at 90040400 for more detailed information.

Looking forward to dive with you! Cheers!

Robert
Robert Cai

five_elements99

Post by five_elements99 » Fri, 19 Sep 2008 4:23 pm

Sorry, dates will be from 31oct-2nov! Cheers!

Robert
Robert Cai