Singapore Expats

getting older every seconds but I have still achieve nothing

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
willingtoknow

getting older every seconds but I have still achieve nothing

Post by willingtoknow » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:59 am

Hello! Thinking of my 21st birthday coming soon, yet I still have not acheived somthing great in my life, I felt very remoseful and sad. I would like people who are willing to give mi a helping hand and give mi some comments on the things people needs nowadays?

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 1:01 pm

Work hard and learn. Forget the philosophy that exists in this country. Life doesn't hand out 'great achievements', you earn them, and it doesn't happen overnight. Set realistic goals for yourself and track where you are in 3 years. Then set new goals, and so on.
Firstly, get yourself some education.
Improve your English.
Read one book per month. Add/delete as necessary.

willingtoknow

hi

Post by willingtoknow » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks for your comment, I will improve on it.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 3:10 pm

Celebrate the fact you have reached 21! Many humans don't.......

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: getting older every seconds but I have still achieve not

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 3:26 pm

willingtoknow wrote:Hello! Thinking of my 21st birthday coming soon, yet I still have not acheived somthing great in my life, I felt very remoseful and sad. I would like people who are willing to give mi a helping hand and give mi some comments on the things people needs nowadays?
Hey! Life is for living. A problem with the attitudes in this country is that it is all about being successful and getting ahead, and unfortunately, this is all described in monetary terms... getting rich, getting powerful... or doing something "great", whatever that is.

You will have a much more full life if you enjoy it, if you follow your heart... and you will have success in what you do if you are true to yourself. Who is to say what is "great"?

Stalin and Hitler achieved great things, altering the history of the world and the makeup of politics to this very day. Is this the kind of great you mean? Bill Gates formed a company that changed the way the average person uses a computer. Is that great?

There are a lot of other things that are great. Like the doctor I know who lives in Cambodia, treating the sick, raising money for hospitals and schools, and more. He has devoted his life to this and will never be rich... not monetarily anyway.

So, I'll attempt to answer your question, "on the things people needs nowadays?" What people need these days is connection, love, understanding, forgiveness, and compassion, not one more f&cking 42" plasma TV, the latest electronic gadget, or the latest BMW. They don't need the latest massage chair, they need a beacon to guide their lives.

You want some principles to live by? Try these.

Life is inconceivably precious.
Life is short and death is certain.
Life contains inevitable difficulties.
Our ethical choices mold our lives.

You want some rules/views to guide your life, to use that inconceivably precious life the best way you can? It's the only life you will get. I highly recommend these.

We suffer from wanting to be one up on life.
Hence your remorse and sadness. You don't want to be where you are now, you want to be somewhere else.

There is no life in negativity.
Can you see the negativity in your statements? "You have not achieved great"? Of course you have. And to believe otherwise just makes life a bitch

We have a moral obligation to be happy.
You think happiness will be achieved by achieving something great but I say to you: When you accept your life exactly as it is, you will be happy.

Our relationship to life's difficulties belongs to us.
Certainly, ask for help, love, support. And never forget that only you can deal with the difficulties that are placed in front of you.

We are what we think.
Can you see this? You are sad, remorseful because you think you haven't done anything useful. And yet, anyone can tell you that for a young person, this is such an unrealistic expectation, and your own assessment of yourself misses the mark. And look what it has made you... unhappy.

Life is wonderful.
It is really hard to beat this principle. LIFE! A chance to experience. A chance to live. Don't waste it pursuing false goals or trying to do what other people think you should do... you will never satisfy them. You are unique. There will never be another one of you.

Love is what changes the course of our world.
This is true. The opposite of love is not hate, it is feeling nothing. There are only two true emotions: love and joy. All others (fear, anger, sad, happy) are all manifestations of the ego.

The fundamental purpose of life is emotional and spiritual growth.
Why else are we here? To buy color TV's? Live in the fanciest condo? If all your life consists of is sleeping, eating, sh*tting, f&cking, and maybe buying a few new gadgets, then you are no different than a cow. Mankind has spiritual capacity. What will you do with yours?

There is only the present.
See, you're looking at the past... you haven't done anything... and you are sad (or your ego is sad). But what a waste because the past is done, cooked, gone. And the future? It is tomorrow, the next second, but not now. And the ego? It has fear of the future, of the unknown. The present: The only place you can actually take action.

We get what we give.
Sure, this may be about payback... that is, if you treat other people nice, you will be treated nice. But it has a deeper meaning, and that is: If you treat the world with disdain, it will become a disdainful place to you. If you treat it with anger, you will see an angry world. If you treat it as something to take advantage of, you will see the world as a place that tries to take advantage. What do you want your worldview to be?

We are 100% responsible for our lives.
A principle that, in this day and age, everyone tries so hard to ignore. It is always the other guy's fault. When you realize that you are 100 percent responsible for everything in this world (including the homeless guy on the bench) you will become empowered to lead your own life as you wish. So long as you blame others for your predicament you give them power that is rightly yours.

If you actually live by all of these "rules" above you will have found peace, happiness, serenity, and prosperity. You will live "An Ordinary Life".

The principles (in black) are courtesy of Bill Kerley, a wonderful friend and teacher to me. I added the comments in red.

http://www.ordinarylife.org/

Cheers. And best of luck on your life's journey.

Dolores

Post by Dolores » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 6:59 pm

You must be kidding... you just turned 21 and you are concerned about getting older? life is just starting!! take it easy and enjoy your days.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 9:10 pm

go play ping pong. you got 4 years to acheive gold medal.

willingtoknow

gd morning!

Post by willingtoknow » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 9:32 am

thanks everyone for the reply, in order to do something for the poor and for the country,we must first got money to do that if we do not have money to do anything what else are we able to help the poor? Don't say helping just by going old folk's home, anyone can do that but if let's say we want to donate a sum of money to them, we must first "get up" inorder to do that isn't it?

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Re: gd morning!

Post by Zeenit » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 9:39 am

willingtoknow wrote:thanks everyone for the reply, in order to do something for the poor and for the country,we must first got money to do that if we do not have money to do anything what else are we able to help the poor? Don't say helping just by going old folk's home, anyone can do that but if let's say we want to donate a sum of money to them, we must first "get up" inorder to do that isn't it?

Just grow up.

Its all about MONEY, this thread. Money is not the begin and end all of life.
Zeenit

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:17 am

Zeenit,

Spot on.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:34 am

willingtoknow wrote:thanks everyone for the reply, in order to do something for the poor and for the country,we must first got money to do that if we do not have money to do anything what else are we able to help the poor? Don't say helping just by going old folk's home, anyone can do that but if let's say we want to donate a sum of money to them, we must first "get up" inorder to do that isn't it?
You obviously did not read what I wrote. Your focus on money means that a) you may or may not get money
b) you probably won't be happy if you do get it.

Do something for yourself first. You cannot take care of someone else's house until you take care of your own. Lots of good ideas in this thread. Get more education. Get a liberal arts/philosophical education. Get a spiritual connection. Travel. Expand your mind. Then you will be able to answer your own questions.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:36 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
You obviously did not read what I wrote. Your focus on money means that a) you may or may not get money
b) you probably won't be happy if you do get it.

Do something for yourself first. You cannot take care of someone else's house until you take care of your own. Lots of good ideas in this thread. Get more education. Get a liberal arts/philosophical education. Get a spiritual connection. Travel. Expand your mind. Then you will be able to
answer your own questions.
Of course he did not read your wonderful thread because it did not tell him how to get Rich quickly.
Zeenit

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:29 pm

Willingtoknow,

Money: Give whatever you have. Decide to give 10% of your income or allowance every month, or start with 5% or even 1%. Making giving a habit and you will feel great knowing that you are helping others.

Time: Give your time. Help out somewhere once a week, once a month, or even once a year. Just give back something.

Yourself: Be grateful for what you have. Write down 5 things you are grateful for at the end of every day. Make the world a better place starting with making yourself a better person. If everyone did that, we would have a wonderful world.

Just do something. There are many suggestions in this thread. Stop thinking about the meaning of life, just get out there and do something. You don't find meaning, you make it for yourself.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 6:07 pm

Zeenit wrote:Of course he did not read your wonderful thread because it did not tell him how to get Rich quickly.
I can be pretty dense at times... I thought he was asking a life question, not a biz question.

In that case: Wanna get rich quick? Sacrifice everything else in life to the pursuit of making money. Cut corners, if you have to... like melamine in baby formula. Step on the back of others and never give a sucker an even break... if they were brighter, they'd be like you. Take all offers of help, but never give any... it will cost you. Try to skew the game so that the unempowered and disadvantaged stay that way. Bribes are OK because they pave the way to what you want. Pay all your future employees as little as possible so that you can make as much as possible. Cheat on your taxes. Screw your small suppliers who have no way to collect from you. Don't give to charity, keep it for yourself. Drag as many suckers into whatever game you have going and keep their money... it can't be your fault... if they were as bright as you they wouldn't be suckered. Always be looking for the 'deal'... and don't worry about the character of your associates.

Howzat?

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Zeenit wrote:Of course he did not read your wonderful thread because it did not tell him how to get Rich quickly.
I can be pretty dense at times... I thought he was asking a life question, not a biz question.

In that case: Wanna get rich quick? Sacrifice everything else in life to the pursuit of making money. Cut corners, if you have to... like melamine in baby formula. Step on the back of others and never give a sucker an even break... if they were brighter, they'd be like you. Take all offers of help, but never give any... it will cost you. Try to skew the game so that the unempowered and disadvantaged stay that way. Bribes are OK because they pave the way to what you want. Pay all your future employees as little as possible so that you can make as much as possible. Cheat on your taxes. Screw your small suppliers who have no way to collect from you. Don't give to charity, keep it for yourself. Drag as many suckers into whatever game you have going and keep their money... it can't be your fault... if they were as bright as you they wouldn't be suckered. Always be looking for the 'deal'... and don't worry about the character of your associates.

Howzat?

I think that was the kind of thing he was after. So we should watch the news in 10 years time if we could be bothered or remembered as see how whats his name is doing.

And as you said someone else will be kicking him on their way to the top.
Zeenit