Singapore Expats

whats up with falling sick repeatedly????

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

whats up with falling sick repeatedly????

Post by scoobydoo » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 9:07 pm

we came here on july 4th n my little one fell ill 2 weeks later and now again shes ill. n its not only her, we all fall ill aswell!
is it just somthing that happens once u have a baby or is singapore a haven for infections??

aussiemeg
Regular
Regular

Post by aussiemeg » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 9:13 pm

get tested for mychoplasma. It is horrible but the drugs are worse!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 9:14 pm

LOL! dunno how to answer this... :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:49 am

The problem here is that when people here get sick, they go to the Polyclinic, get some antibotics, then spend their Medical Leave out shopping and traveling on crowded trains & buses and hack, coughing & spitting in crowds of people instead of staying home in bed so they can get well. This way they just keep spreading around the germs. Additionally, most local tend to not finish their antibiotics thereby only vaccinating the viruses instead and then they come back stronger and stronger until the antibiotic are no longer effective. With the exception of myself, my entire family seems to just go around in circles (I'm immune to illnesses in general).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Re: whats up with falling sick repeatedly????

Post by Blue Sapphire » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 1:09 pm

scoobydoo wrote:we came here on july 4th n my little one fell ill 2 weeks later and now again shes ill. n its not only her, we all fall ill aswell!
is it just somthing that happens once u have a baby or is singapore a haven for infections??
We get sick at least once a month especially my baby. Even in my playgroup the kids take turn to fall sick.

I've resigned to just expecting it, taking lots of vit C and using sanitasers before and after a playgroup session and at indoor playgrounds.

The place we seem to catch these bugs seems to be more at the shopping malls esp in the supermarket!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 1:38 pm

Blue Sapphire wrote:
The place we seem to catch these bugs seems to be more at the shopping malls esp in the supermarket!
Curious to know how you managed to work out its the supermarket where you catch the bug, rather than the lift or taxi etc going to the mall?

The aircon recycled air environment, and hoping from sweaty hot to freezing cold a dozen times a day does not help.

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 2:12 pm

QRM wrote:
Blue Sapphire wrote:
Curious to know how you managed to work out its the supermarket where you catch the bug, rather than the lift or taxi etc going to the mall?

The aircon recycled air environment, and hoping from sweaty hot to freezing cold a dozen times a day does not help.

Well QRM. The lift at my condo is empty most of the time when I take it. I cross the road to the mall and take a lift (mostly empty again at the back of the mall) direct into the supermarket and out the same way. I dont have to take a taxi. And there are times when I didnt go elsewhere for a few days.

Shopping is what there is mostly to do here in Singapore so you can definitely catch more than a sale. Especially in the mall where theres aircon and less ventilation. Plus the supermarket is colder so it sends some people into coughing bouts.

Ofcourse for the babies their immune system is still young so they are bound to catch viruses easily.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 2:15 pm

scoobydoo - if you've just had a baby you may be run down & tired so susceptible to bugs. also i think it takes awhile in a new place to acclimatize to all the new germs. just wait til your little one is in school - they'll be bringing home all sorts of lovely illnesses.... it's the "gift that keeps on giving" :)
in the meantime - lots of hand washing and hot water in the washer...

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 8:32 pm

Someone told me to expect to be sick our first year--wow was she right! We were sick from the first month almost to the 12th month. Sinus infections, coughs, colds, sneezing--ick, just nasty. I was so sick I perforated both eardrums--thank God my daughter wasn't that bad. But now that we're acclimatized (sp?) and take sweaters with us virtually everywhere, we're much healthier!

KerryL26

Post by KerryL26 » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 9:10 pm

@SMS How do you know if locals finish their antbiotics???
Are you a doctor or a spy????

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:59 pm

KerryL26 wrote:@SMS How do you know if locals finish their antbiotics???
He rummages through rubbish bins at night :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:18 pm

Both! :P

Actually, being married to a local for 25 years an having a very large extended family helps. Also, being able to read AND understand English so have been reading the local newspapers over the years. This has been brought up time and time again in the papers. Shame you just woke up yesterday. Obviously it's a generalization, but kiasuism is as well isn't it? And enough people do it to make the moniker stick doesn't it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:20 pm

QRM wrote:
He rummages through rubbish bins at night :lol:
Yeah, but that's only to find credit card numbers and bank balances. Oh, and stuff I can sell to the Karang Guni Man. :wink:

here_i_am

New Move = New Viruses

Post by here_i_am » Mon, 15 Sep 2008 4:08 pm

Its simply a matter of being exposed to new viruses. Singapore is a haven for Singaporean viruses. Same way Iceland would be a haven for Iceland viruses.

:lol:

Seriously though, just take the usual precautions of making sure whatever you guys have isnt something serious by visiting a doctor and discussing the symptoms. Finish your treatments. If your treatment is done and you're still seeing symptoms, especially with your child, then go back to the doctor and insist for further checks. My son went through a two month long up-and-down bout of coughing, colds, fever, etc. I made the mistake of ignoring some slight cough after we finished his antibiotics treatment, and this ended up escalating back into a serious cough again within a week. We went back to the doctor and this time had to do some nebulizing and a new round of antibiotics until he was 100% clear. He hasnt gotten sick for a while now, but then I've kept him away from playgroups for a while too.

Best of luck with your bugs!

:)