Singapore Expats

singaporean's perception of foreigners.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
illuzion

singaporean's perception of foreigners.....

Post by illuzion » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 6:40 am

hey guys..i'm doing a research project actually..so do hope that you guys can help me out:) yup..i am supposed to find out..how singaporean's perceive foreigners working, living and staying here and come up with any possible explanations for such behaviour. i was reading a few other forums and i got some insight from there..so here's what i've to say,and i don't mean to offend any1.so my apologies if i do so.

by foreigners, i mean the menial workers such as the indian construction workers, maids from different countries as well the elite professionals that make up our IT and business fields who are not locally borned, and do not have a singaporean citizenship by birthright.

being a student, i feel that foreign students bring with them a lot of diversity that we should welcome, in the way they think, and the way they do thinks. i think that they can achieve a lot for us in our education system by introducing the frankness and intellect with which they deal their thoughts. i am not saying that we fellow singaporeans are not intellectual, but i feel that we lack the ability to express ourselves and out thought processes eloquently. of course this has changed over the years, and perhaps the presence of foreign students will encourage this form of expressions even more:)

for foreigners working here, i think that most people resent them. of course, this is just a sweeping statement and i cant base it on anything except what i've read from other forums. i think that a lot of people have a colonial rulers mindstet, in that, we still look up to foreigners, as being our masters. so we see them as being far more superior than they might actually be and then there is no motivation to compete in a healthy environment. they very reason the government brought in foreign elites was so that we could gain from their expertise and excel ourselves when we pit ourselves in a healthy competition against them. but the latter motive is clearly lost in most cases. also, since the government sponsors the education of this foreigners through the taxpayer's money, a lot of us don't welcome foreigners working here.

in addition, the fact that first generation permanent residents do not have to serve ns can cause a debacle in itself since they get to enjoy priviledges that fellow singaporeans have without having to make any sacrifice whatsoever. of course, it can be argued that foreigners need to be paid highly and be granted certain priviledges to entice foreigners to stay on, does this justify the migration of many ambitious singaporeans overseas, where they seek the oppurtunities they have been deprived of?

anyways this are some questions and thoughts i posted..and i hope there would be some replies, rebuttals or agreements, so that both singaporeans and foreigners can understand each other betta:)

Post by Guest » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 9:45 pm

Why can't today's students write and spell anymore????
I get irritated everytime I see this type of slipshod sentence construction from students.

Post by Guest » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 9:50 pm

i think that a lot of people have a colonial rulers mindstet, in that, we still look up to foreigners, as being our masters :So why did three empty cabs in a row refuse to board me ?
. so we see them as being far more superior than they might actually be and then there is no motivation to compete in a healthy environment. I do not understand your demonstration/statement

they very reason the government brought in foreign elites was so that we could gain from their expertise and excel ourselves when we pit ourselves in a healthy competition against them. but the latter motive is clearly lost in most cases. That statement is unsubstantiated/undocumented. What proof do you have to say that ?

also, since the government sponsors the education of this foreigners through the taxpayer's money, a lot of us don't welcome foreigners working here. Education for foreigners is free in Germany, France, Sweden, Finland and plenty of other european countries. You did not know it because you have succumbed to the advertisement of US/UK/Australian universities that see you as cash cows. You should have shopped around and see that Education is free for foreigners in many European countries (and, even better, European students have no antipathy toward those foreign students unlike here). That shall teach you a lesson

KLS

Post by KLS » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:33 pm

Education for foreigners is free in Germany, France, Sweden, Finland and plenty of other european countries. You did not know it because you have succumbed to the advertisement of US/UK/Australian universities that see you as cash.

I think maybe you have it all wrong my dear friend, the last I heard, foreigners, must reside in a European Community Country for 3 years, before being entitled to any subsidies from any government office.

Foreigners free education if any!, the free education is limited to language training only, normally under the instruction of volunteers, for those that have not qualified for residence.

The UK provide this free education at most colleges, But university is not free, some may qualify for funding or sponsorships, but I have never ever known education to be free in the EEC. Please enlighten us, on your remarks

Post by Guest » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:44 pm

Yes, education is free for foreigners and you do not have to be a resident for 3 years. Plenty of scholarships available for foreigners. Check with the embassy of these European countries in SG. Most countries that offer free education to foreigners do not go on a roadshow to sell themselves (unlike US universities) because they have limited funds for promotion (since education is free, less money is available, including for marketing purpose).

Post by Guest » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:50 pm

i think that a lot of people have a colonial rulers mindstet, in that, we still look up to foreigners, as being our masters. so we see them as being far more superior than they might actually be and then there is no motivation to compete in a healthy environment. they very reason the government brought in foreign elites was so that we could gain from their expertise and excel ourselves when we pit ourselves in a healthy competition against them. but the latter motive is clearly lost in most cases. also, since the government sponsors the education of this foreigners through the taxpayer's money, a lot of us don't welcome foreigners working here.

in addition, the fact that first generation permanent residents do not have to serve ns can cause a debacle in itself since they get to enjoy priviledges that fellow singaporeans have without having to make any sacrifice whatsoever. of course, it can be argued that foreigners need to be paid highly and be granted certain priviledges to entice foreigners to stay on, does this justify the migration of many ambitious singaporeans overseas, where they seek the oppurtunities they have been deprived of?

anyways this are some questions and thoughts i posted..and i hope there would be some replies, rebuttals or agreements, so that both singaporeans and foreigners can understand each other betta:)

The colonial mindset is never going to go away, unless, our education system changes. In this new education system we need to show how cruel these colonial masters were and still are, for stealing our culture, language, land and resources and god knows what else. This might not be true of Singpore to a large extent, but look around you and see what's going on.

These ex-colonies are still struggling to develop properly and stand on their feet. They are so poor and their plight is getting worse. LOOK AT SUDAN!!! Poor countries can never become rich and therefore never compete with the western countries in terms mature economy.

Our countries are still in the belief the colonial masters are still their masters :!: :lol:

Post by Guest » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:i think that a lot of people have a colonial rulers mindstet, in that, we still look up to foreigners, as being our masters. so we see them as being far more superior than they might actually be and then there is no motivation to compete in a healthy environment. they very reason the government brought in foreign elites was so that we could gain from their expertise and excel ourselves when we pit ourselves in a healthy competition against them. but the latter motive is clearly lost in most cases. also, since the government sponsors the education of this foreigners through the taxpayer's money, a lot of us don't welcome foreigners working here.

anyways this are some questions and thoughts i posted..and i hope there would be some replies, rebuttals or agreements, so that both singaporeans and foreigners can understand each other betta:)(quoted)

:( :shock: :x WE WILL NEVER LEARN BY GUEST
The colonial mindset is never going to go away, unless, our education system changes. In this new education system we need to show how cruel these colonial masters were and still are, for stealing our culture, language, land and resources and god knows what else. This might not be true of Singpore to a large extent, but look around you and see what's going on.

These ex-colonies are still struggling to develop properly and stand on their feet. They are so poor and their plight is getting worse. LOOK AT SUDAN!!! Poor countries can never become rich and therefore never compete with the western countries in terms mature economy.

Our countries are still in the belief the colonial masters are still their masters :!: :lol:

Post by Guest » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 6:32 pm

Need to be a resident for 3 years to be allowed to study for free in a European university. Wrong. Is this the lastest rumors launched by Americans to prevent foreign students to study in Europe (for free) ? After all, foreign students in the US brought about US$ 13 billons dollars in revenues. Foreign cash cows, right ?

Post by Guest » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 8:51 pm

KLS wrote:Education for foreigners is free in Germany, France, Sweden, Finland and plenty of other european countries. You did not know it because you have succumbed to the advertisement of US/UK/Australian universities that see you as cash.

I think maybe you have it all wrong my dear friend, the last I heard, foreigners, must reside in a European Community Country for 3 years, before being entitled to any subsidies from any government office.

Foreigners free education if any!, the free education is limited to language training only, normally under the instruction of volunteers, for those that have not qualified for residence.

The UK provide this free education at most colleges, But university is not free, some may qualify for funding or sponsorships, but I have never ever known education to be free in the EEC. Please enlighten us, on your remarks

What a load of BULLSHIT coming from these people :!: I am British and I have just finished my degree. Do you know what sort of debt I am in :?: I wouldn't even like to mention it here, in case you all have a heart attack :!: :!:

I am only 27 years old and let's put it this way: If I don't find a very well paid job very soon my chances of paying this debt back are, 'NIL!' What is more, there is no way I can afford to buy a one bed-room accomodation anywhere in the next 12 years or so :!: :shock:

British education has worked out very expensive for me and I am sure for others like me :!: :shock:

Post by Guest » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 8:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:Why can't today's students write and spell anymore????
I get irritated everytime I see this type of slipshod sentence construction from students.
BLAME IT ON YOUR SHIT EDUCATION SYSTEMS :!:

Post by Guest » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 9:53 pm

Yes, education is very expensive for foreigners in the UK. It the one of the very few countries in Europe, where as a foreigner, you have to pay a hefty price. If you cross the channel and look at education in Germany, France, Belgium, Sweden and many others it is free for foreigners (most but not all European countries). You should have shopped around, looking at the situation of every education system instead of succumbing to the advertisement of US/UK/Australian universities. Put the blame on yourself

Post by Guest » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:01 pm

Even the Straits Time, but on one occasion only, has described Singaporeans who are enjoying free education in various European countries. There was one article only ! one only, whereas there are many articles describing how wonderful US education is but with a very high price tag. If you are S$ 75 000 in debts, you understand what I mean.

Still can not undertand why, in this so cost-conscious society, Singaporeans do not shop around for foreign education systems that are nearly free (a few hundred dolars to cover administrative fees) and offer an education that is just as good as in the US (because do not tell me that American students are better than German, French, Swedish and many students from countries that offer free education to nationals as well as foreigners)

guessWHO?

Post by guessWHO? » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:12 am

yeah right, education is free but how about your board and lodging?
overall, it is still very expensive.

illuzion

Post by illuzion » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:43 pm

sigh..i tink everyone has deferred from the topic in hand actually.. anywyas, guest number one..i do pride myself in the way i write, and spell..just so tt you know i have an A grade in general paper at advanced level and an A1 at Ordinary Level for English Lang. i'm currently studying in NUS and i really don't think that anyone else is in a better position to criticize the way i write..the post was put up merely to gather some input for my research work and not for some critique. but i do apologize for some spelling mistakes i made but those were mindless blunders which i think even the most prolific writer makes occasionally..

to guest number 2..i've already justified above that none of my claims are substantiated. i shall gather some input from here and then move on to survey people so that i would have some data to suffice the requirement of physical evidence i need for my research project. i hope that satisfies you.

to the third guest i would like to say that i'm not interested in how foreigners get better deals abroad, but rather how singaporean's perceive foreigners studying, living and working here. if that has failed to capture your attention, that would go to explain your lack of intellect as you have very well demonstrated by posting such biased and baseless replies..

illuzion

Post by illuzion » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:52 pm

anyways i shall be putting up a new post regarding my project elsewhere since obviously such senseless discussion is not going to cease. i'm irritated that so-called mature individuals never fail to throw up dirt in the face of the other at even the slightest possibility. if you guys cant help me in my research, that's really fine. there ARE actually people who can think more sensibly than you guys, but at least you should have some respect for yourself and stop behaving like a bunch of retards.