Singapore Expats

2 questions... Need help?!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
cri8ion

2 questions... Need help?!

Post by cri8ion » Thu, 04 Sep 2008 7:11 pm

1- Got an approval letter for my Singapore PR. Have an appointment date and time set. Does anybody know how long it takes for stage 2 of processing the PR (ie. how many days, incl. the medical and stuff)?

2- Being a 1st time applicant, and in my late 30s, what is my status on military service? Am I compelled to join?

Thanks guys....
Cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Sep 2008 9:13 pm

Don't know how long it takes now. But years ago, it only took 2 weeks from the Appointment inverview. I reckon it only take a couple of days now.

Regarding national service. Yes you have to join.

But they will give you a waiver from serving but you do have to go through the motions.... 2nd Generation PR WILL have to serve, e.g., if you have a son and has PR, he will have to do NS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 2:14 pm

Ok this is how mine went once I got approval. Friday had medical a Raffles Hospital at Bugis, collected results following Tuesday 3pm, rushed down to ICA and got the whole process including REP and IC card application completed by 6pm. You have to come back in 7 days to collect your actual IC Card but you can nominate someone else to collect it.

I arrived in Singapore this morning and there was a letter addressed to me from Mindef telling me how to register for NS :lol:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 3:31 pm

Saint pretty much has it... get in early, no later than 8:30 AM or you will most certainly come back the next day to complete. All all day process... not that you do anything but wait... the actual process takes 15 minutes max... they are seriously overloaded.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 5:42 pm

Saint wrote: I arrived in Singapore this morning and there was a letter addressed to me from Mindef telling me how to register for NS :lol:
so when do you get to shoot the baddies? :P

Stoven

Post by Stoven » Sat, 06 Sep 2008 9:52 am

I just got my PR approval letter from the ICA in the mail today. Now I have 2 months to fly to Singapore for the interview.

Saint,

How expensive is the medical testing in Singapore? I am trying to decide on if I should do the testing here in the U.S. or in Singapore.

I will probably only be able to take enough time off from work to fly to Singapore for the interview and then return to the States with the intention of moving permanently within the next 6 months or so. Is it an issue if you do not move right after receiving PR?

Thanks,

Steve

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:25 am

Stoven wrote:I just got my PR approval letter from the ICA in the mail today. Now I have 2 months to fly to Singapore for the interview.

Saint,

How expensive is the medical testing in Singapore? I am trying to decide on if I should do the testing here in the U.S. or in Singapore.

I will probably only be able to take enough time off from work to fly to Singapore for the interview and then return to the States with the intention of moving permanently within the next 6 months or so. Is it an issue if you do not move right after receiving PR?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

I was in the exact position as you, got my approval letter while living in UK and had 2 months to sort it out. However, I emailed the ICA and requested an extention which was agreed and they gave me an extra 2 months. (I can PM you the direct email address of person in PR dept rather than using the general enquiry email address which can take forever to be actioned!)

The medical at Raffles cost something ridiculously cheap like S$40 all in.

After completely the PR process at the ICA, I left Singapore back to UK and only came back 2 months later, had no problems arriving yesterday.

Any others questions just give me a shout.

Stoven

Post by Stoven » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:26 am

Saint,

Can you PM the email address to me? I doubt I'll be able to make it to Singapore in the next two months. Do they send you a new letter with the extended date?

Thanks,

Steve

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 9:32 am

You have PM Steve

cri8ion

Hmm?!

Post by cri8ion » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 2:28 pm

Thanks a lot guys.... appreciate all your help!