Singapore Expats

maid timings

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

maid timings

Post by scoobydoo » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 2:27 pm

i was just wondering what are your maids timings like. what time does she wake up and begin work and what time does she eat dinner and wrap up.
am probably beginning on monday or tuesday with my new full timer...am a bit curious!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 2:44 pm

I would guess that depends on whether you are a humanitarian or a "I'll get as many hours out of her as I possibly can as I don't employ her, I rent here so therefore human kindness doesn't enter into it." type of person. Do you have to know what is the average? I would have to ask why? If you are not working her as long as some others, does that mean you will find additional work just to keep up with the Lee's?

My best advice? Treat her like you would like to be treated if you were in her position....... :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 6:36 pm

Why don't you discuss details with her and agree on a specific arrangement that works for both of you? Agree on what are her duties and what aren't (eg responding to spoilt children's every command) instead of expecting her to be at everyone's beck and call all the time?

My family's maid started work at 6am when she first came, and we had to ask her to please start later as we prefered to sleep till 7am and didn't want to be woken up by cleaning noises. She still wakes up early though, and stealthily sweeps and does the silent stuff, then starts the machines etc when we're up. She's just an early riser. After dinner, we don't really care what she does - watch TV or read, it's up to her, and she can go to bed anytime she's ready.

We also tell her very specifically NOT to do certain things even if the kids ask her to. And if we ask her to do something outside her normal duties, we give her an angpow for that particular task after it's done.

So I agree with SMS, with just a slight variation - treat her not as you would like to be treated, but as she would like to be treated. This involves talking to her as a human being and understanding her preferences, limits, and personal style.

All the best with your new maid!

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 9:39 pm

between 7 and 7.30am when we get up. or more accurately when the children wake us up. she will clear up after dinner in the evening. (we eat about 6pm). she has down time during the day which is anywhere between 2-3 hours depending on what the children are doing. she eats after us.

she tends to mop the kitchen floor as her last job of the day. sometimes she will do it as late as 10pm after she has retired to her room for a bit. sometimes she does it right after the evening meal and then she will retire to her room. she has been with us for almost 6 months now and has worked out really well. she knows exactly what is expected of her, but as far as timings are concerned she tends to sort out her own schedule.

realthomo

Post by realthomo » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:53 pm

It's all about treating them like humans and ensuring they are happy. If they are happy, they will work well.

Our maid wakes up and starts work at 7am. My kids are at school between 9 and 2, so I have asked her to not take any phonecalls before 1pm so she can get all her chores done. She then has the entire afternoon for downtime, phonecalls, etc. As an employer, I am well within my right to stipulate no phonecalls between 9 & 1, as this would be the case in any job. So she gets pretty much the whole afternoon to take it easy, play with the kids (if one of them doens't want to play with me, they usually go to her), and help me with dinner. We eat at 5.30pm and then she cleans up. SHe is usually in her bedroom or going out by 7pm, unless we are going out (maybe 2 nights a week) in which case she sits in her room or the living room to watch cable tv or surf the net. She has been with "slave driver" families before, so I know she is really happy with our arrangement, especially since she can go out a couple of nights a week to see her boyfriend.
Proud to be Australian!

scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

Post by scoobydoo » Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:33 pm

thanks for the feedbck

kenji77

RE

Post by kenji77 » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 2:24 pm

I agree to sundaymorningstaple's comment.

This is a problem most singaporeans have. They treat thier maids like slaves. Make them wake up so early, no day offs, feed them with bad food. No wonder lots of cases where maids just jump off their hdb flats or escape during the night. Get this: some even rape their maids.

We should all understand that being a maid is just like any other profession. They're just trying to make a decent living just to support thier families back home. We should not look down on them. And its tough as well being away from your children or babies. So be reasonable on them. They take care of your children when you can't.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 3:05 pm

Hello Kenji, welcome to the forum.

The government is finally building maid dormitories. I've long said they should do this. At least the maids can get away from the employers regularly, and have access to outsiders so they can report any abuse.

I agree many treat their maids terribly. Not all though. It's my maid's birthday today and we're taking her out for dinner and doing the whole birthday cake deal. Exactly the same treatment as any member of the family, even exactly the same cake. :)

kenji77

re:

Post by kenji77 » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 4:05 pm

That's good to know.

We have to start learning how to treat people right. At home & work.