Singapore Expats

Investment advise?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
sleepcake

Investment advise?

Post by sleepcake » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 6:26 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm seriously thinking of going into investing but have no clue how. I've recently joined the Securities Investors Association of Singapore and I'm a newbie at this.

Does anyone out here have good investment advise on any good/safe/trusty online investment platforms or brokers to go to?

Would appreciate it!
Btw I think I'm a medium risk investor.
CheerZ!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Investment advise?

Post by ksl » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 7:01 pm

sleepcake wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm seriously thinking of going into investing but have no clue how. I've recently joined the Securities Investors Association of Singapore and I'm a newbie at this.

Does anyone out here have good investment advise on any good/safe/trusty online investment platforms or brokers to go to?

Would appreciate it!
CheerZ!
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

sleepcake

Post by sleepcake » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:05 pm

Hehe...wel, I don't think I'm a low-risk investor because I'm not patient enough to wait decades for my returns and I don't think I'm a high-risk investor because I'm not courageous enough to throw great amounts of money into stocks that move everywhich way everyday...

so if I'm neither hi-risk nor low-risk, so I'm concluding I must be somewhere in the middle. :lol: :lol:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:09 am

sleepcake wrote:Hehe...wel, I don't think I'm a low-risk investor because I'm not patient enough to wait decades for my returns and I don't think I'm a high-risk investor because I'm not courageous enough to throw great amounts of money into stocks that move everywhich way everyday...

so if I'm neither hi-risk nor low-risk, so I'm concluding I must be somewhere in the middle. :lol: :lol:
Oops you have just failed the self assessment risk factor, I thought you would!

What you really need, is to weed out an investment risk assessment questionnaire on the internet, around 40 questions should give you a fair idea, you will be surprised at what you are.

On a scale of 1 to 10, you need to be around the five mark, I have my own questionnaire, which came with my investment book, and its very good. My wife thought she was a medium risk taker too, until she did the test. Turned out she suffers from risk aversion, that's why i wanted to know.

I've been investing since 2000 and doing quite well, although this last slump came unexpected, so I've taken quite a beating and decided to stick it out for the turn around rather than selling off.

Do the test if you can find one, thinking you are a medium risk taker can back fire, make sure you know what you are! You need to be level headed and cool...because the slightest panic and you sell, you will lose!

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Post by RULDS » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 6:11 pm

...you might not be getting any investment advice because, at least in the US, it is againest the governing laws of the SEC to advise a person to any investment vehicle if you are not a licensed agent.

That being said, personaly...I thing I am going to start looking into the finance sector. It has been hit HARD. I don't think I will put any money soon into that sector but am starting to research it. There are alot of bargans but I am assuming that the credit crisis isn't over yet so I'm not hopping in now. Same thing goes with the big real estate stocks (KB Homes, Pulte...)

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 9:03 am

Just because you classify yourself as either risk averse or "bring on the danger" doesnt mean you cant speculate across the board.
When I started investing I divided my money into 3 sections - low risk, medium and high. The percentage for each section for me was 15%, 50% and 35% in that order as I am young and therefore have more chances to be hit with a slump but still reach my goals. Therefore even though I may score as a medium risk taker or risk averse (Ive never taken any of the numerous tests out there for this), it still means I have a finger in each pie whilst steadily working towards my financial goals and expectations.
You can then divide the percentages to fit your personal circumstances such as age, family, work/career and goals.
I started off by investing 12% of my total salary (monthly) into my investments.
Good Luck :-)

andy21
Regular
Regular

Post by andy21 » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:59 am

There are alots of book on personal investements in bookshops all over Singapore.

Read up as much as you can, take notes and that is the best investment you can make now.

You don't even have to buy the books, be a cheapskate and read them at the store. :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 5:05 pm

Just because you classify yourself as either risk averse or "bring on the danger" doesnt mean you cant speculate across the board.
When I started investing I divided my money into 3 sections - low risk, medium and high

Speculate is what its all about, minimising your risk by splitting it up, into 3 risk factors, still doesn't help you much if you are a gambler, or a non risk taker.

The idea behind the risk assessment is basically to identify what type of person you are, there is not much you can do about it once you know! because you will still respond in the same way to outside influences on the market....If panic selling occurs, will you be a panic seller, or not.
it's always helpful to know, if you are a rational or irrational person. a salesman or a promoter, a boss or a leader....most people like to believe, they have control, only to find out the truth.

The wisest position would be to know what kind of person you are. Knowing how to minimise the risk, is helpful but only slows down the process of losing or winning. speculation is fine, gambling is also okay, but not knowing when to call it a day, can be painful, and being too passive can amount to not very much at all in a bear market. :-|

MikeDirnt
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeDirnt » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 8:51 pm

Would appreciate it!
CheerZ!
do you need to pay for SIAS? i have no clue about the association

you can learn free of charge if you read from forums, investment websites, etc. the fees you need to pay are probably the tuition fees made on bad investments. thats part and parcel of an investment. the most important thing is to learn from the mistakes.

to start with you can visit investopedia. there are lots of information and its like an investment encyclopedia.

you can read investing basics at fundsupermart as well. it is a platform selling unit trusts and SGS bonds.

gd luck
Guides and information -> Singapore Stocks

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 9:29 pm

T3B Proprietary Trading System

Anyone heard about it?

andy21
Regular
Regular

Post by andy21 » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:37 am

ksl wrote:T3B Proprietary Trading System

Anyone heard about it?
I attended the talk with my friend, more to amuse him than anything.

I thought it was just some kind of training on technical analysis, which I don't really subscribe to (yes, technical analysis works, but only for 1 in 100 people IMO, the rest are just candlestick suckers).

As it turns out, it was something else altogether.

You pay a couple of thousand dollars to join their 3 day course IIRC, and then a monthly subscription.

They will provide with a periodically updated list of companies on the 'uptrend' and 'downtrend', and you are to very specifically follow a very defined set of actions for each counter you choose to go in to, with extremely clear instructions on exact entry and exit points.

I asked how we, as interested traders would know which company's prices are on uptrends or downtrends. Don't worry about it he says, they'll tell us. We just follow, and don't ask any questions.

You must follow these steps every night, and not look at the share prices during the day itself.

Then I realized T3B is just one of many syndicates which work, sometimes together to move the prices of certain counters by performing the same actions.

They are using your money to move their money. There is a good chance of making money if you do have the discipline to follow their rules, but when sh*t hits the roof, they will be gone and you are up the creek without paddle.

Not my thing.

Edited: so I don't get potentially sued and bad spelling as usual

I think everyone should just attend their talk for some education and to be amused. For same reason, check out the JP Morgan Asia Confidence equity-linked notes (subscription's closed, but still worth reading up on).

cpd2009

I agree totally -- i am sure you will be fine --thanks

Post by cpd2009 » Fri, 01 Aug 2008 3:32 pm

I agree totally -- i am sure you will be fine --thanks

dongu

Post by dongu » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 1:04 pm

hey,

if you are looking for investment opportunities, I have one related to the beauty and wellness industry and i'm looking for a partner. I would say risk level is somewhere between medium and low.
cheers :D

j8rry

Post by j8rry » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 7:34 pm

Would appreciate it!
CheerZ!
I have a investment that might interest you a lot for a medium risk investor.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 8:41 pm

j8rry wrote:
I have a investment that might interest you a lot for a medium risk investor. PM me...
Yeah and I am sure every other man and his dog has an investment for you as well, :shock:

Sleepcake, you come onto a public forum and announce you have not got a clue how to handle your money, and ask for people you never met to help.

You must come from a very cosseted environment, as now every shark and vulture will be circling waiting to pounce. All I can say is good luck and watch your back.