Singapore Expats

Australian International School

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
good / great / excellent?

Post by good / great / excellent? » Mon, 26 Jul 2004 2:08 pm

Just wondering about your personal experiences at the Australian International School. Does it stand out against the other International Schools? Which school would you comapre it to in Australia? Are the teachers caring & nurturing? What are the class sizes?
We may be coming over next year with our 3 yo.
Any comments? Thanks!!!

Promise

Comparision

Post by Promise » Wed, 04 Aug 2004 4:02 pm

I am a 16 year old Australian and have lived in Singapore for 4 years so far. I used to attend the Australian School for about 2 years but later moved to the United world College Of South East Asia and I have remained there for about the past 2 years. In that time I have compared them and noticed that if you are after a challenging and benefiting Education head To The United World College. The Australian International School, had a curriculum like the one in my old school in Sydney. AIS is more laid back and more socially active. Whereas UWC is more challenging.
AIS has a new school building but the level is low compared to the experience of UWC. But if you are looking for the graduation certifications they are not the same. AIS has the traditional High school certification, which is hard to use to enter into universities out of Australia, sometimes almost Impossible. But in UWC there is the International Baccalaureate. This is greatly sought out by many universities such as Oxford and Cambridge. AIS has a better Primary education than most schools in Singapore but UWC is more of the right choice for Highschool. The Teachers in both schools are caring but in the Australian School the teachers are more willing to lend a hand of school hours to help the children mangae with schoolwork. There are about 20 children in each class in each school. So it is up to you! Hope you can make the right decision.

Post by guest » Tue, 10 Aug 2004 1:53 pm

My daughter is in year 1 at the Australian school and we have been very disappointed with it. We have now been here 6 months and I have been waiting for it to improve however we are now looking to transfer her to another International School. We have found the teachers we've come in contact with to be very apathetic and I get the feeling they are just there to do the minimum required and take home that big pay packet. As we do not know how long we are here I don't feel I can waste much more time in ensuring my daughter receives a good education. In the lower primary school the class sizes seem to be in the low 20's. The facilities are wonderful with a brand new campus so it would depend on what you are looking for in a school.

qantaslim2006

Re: Comparision

Post by qantaslim2006 » Fri, 08 Sep 2006 8:12 pm

hi there i am 15 yrs old and my name is Lance .. i had just had a school tour by the ais adminstrator name juliana chaw. i just see the facilites at there it is very good. and very spacious at there also..if anything pls add me at msn onl [email protected]. thnks hope to make friends with u.

Patience

International Community School

Post by Patience » Thu, 14 Sep 2006 7:26 am

Guest...so sorry you've been disappointed with the school you've chosen, but as you said...it's never too late to make a change. I don't know what grade your child is in, but do know that International Community School still has openings in lots of the grades. I often hear that the children love the school. It's almost impossible to get them on the buses in the afternoon. Ha! ...they want to stay and be with their friends or enjoy the many after school activities...a good problem to have.

For the other guest looking, there are openings in the 3 and 4 year old class, at this time. The small class size gives more personalized attention to your child, too. ...with an excellent teacher. Inquire, and then make a reservation so they'll hold a space for you...for next year. :)

To guest...who is considering a school move, International Night is October 13th at Singapore Bible College...You're invited to come and check it out, meet some parents, and see a sampling of what ICS has to offer. Expect to be WOWed! :D
...like a tree planted by the water.

EC

Re: International Community School

Post by EC » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:12 pm

Patience wrote:Guest...so sorry you've been disappointed with the school you've chosen, but as you said...it's never too late to make a change. I don't know what grade your child is in, but do know that International Community School still has openings in lots of the grades. I often hear that the children love the school. It's almost impossible to get them on the buses in the afternoon. Ha! ...they want to stay and be with their friends or enjoy the many after school activities...a good problem to have.

For the other guest looking, there are openings in the 3 and 4 year old class, at this time. The small class size gives more personalized attention to your child, too. ...with an excellent teacher. Inquire, and then make a reservation so they'll hold a space for you...for next year. :)

To guest...who is considering a school move, International Night is October 13th at Singapore Bible College...You're invited to come and check it out, meet some parents, and see a sampling of what ICS has to offer. Expect to be WOWed! :D
Shouldn't your adverts be in the classified section?

shellbell

Post by shellbell » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 4:22 pm

Hi
Yet another question on schooling!!!!We may be moving in the near future and the biggest worry we have is the education.I have a 12yr girl and 14 yr boy. We are moving from Qatar to Singapore so they are expat friendly Aussie kids. Both very good at sport and academics (mothers always think their clever). Though academics is my number one requirement I would also like a school that has a great sport selection
I have read some of your blogs and am getting mixed reviews. My son has already started the international bacc.system so is this going to be a problem. I am hoping we can stay together as a family otherwise its boarding school.
Hope you can enlighten this topic.
Michelle :roll:

hometutors.sg

Re: Australian International School

Post by hometutors.sg » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 4:53 pm

good / great / excellent? wrote:Just wondering about your personal experiences at the Australian International School. Does it stand out against the other International Schools? Which school would you comapre it to in Australia? Are the teachers caring & nurturing? What are the class sizes?
We may be coming over next year with our 3 yo.
Any comments? Thanks!!!
Australian International School offers the usual Grade 1-12 education. The school gives little homework to students. Most international schools in Singapore are of very good quality. You may wish to consider which country's University you want your child to further his/her education. Typically most schools offer the IGCES for easy entrance into UK uni. You may wish to enroll in a US international school if u wish your child to have a US education in future.

leanne

Post by leanne » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 6:39 pm

HI we moved here from Perth 3 years ago, and now my daughter is ready to go to preschool. I have been considering the AIS, but there have been mixed reviews about it? Anyone have any ideas? A friend has told me UWC is much better, but I'd like to support AISif I can, however, I have been advised by some friends (who had kids there), that AIS can be a little "exclusionary" to non-white parents and kids. Any one had any experience?
Thanks.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: International Community School

Post by QRM » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 7:47 pm

Patience wrote:
Singapore Bible College :D
That sound like a scary name for an open minded International School? :shock:

How do they teach students about the different global religions?

ohnuts

AIS

Post by ohnuts » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:27 pm

Hi, my kids have been there a couple of terms and frankly I am pretty happy with the school. However, I was pretty much strictly looking for a school that they could continue their education with ease, and straight back into education in Australia. They love it too! I am a firm believer in early years learning thru 'play', use of imagination and broad knowledge and that too much study makes Jack a dull boy! (Yes, but really smart, in a rote learned kind of way!)

We certainly found the homework heavy going to begin with (compared to what they were used to). I have been doing some homework on NSW schooling as a move home was/is unfortunately on the cards and the AIS rates in the top 20% of schools with the highest HSC marks in Australia which will certainly allow children to choose their uni's courses with good UAI's. I have one in jnr, two in primary, one of which will be heading into yr 7 and the middle years IB programme, so they do offer an IB program in middle school ages 11 - 16.

Some of the previous information on this thread was quite dated. We are white Australian and I have not noticed any racism (mind you noticed plenty everywhere else in Singapore!) In my honest opinion it is pretty much 'against Australianism' to be racist and there is a very large mix of races at the school so it doesn't even come close to being exclusively Australian! Best thing to do, if you are already here, visit the schools and get your own feel for them!
OH NUTS

smbexpat

Australian international school singapore

Post by smbexpat » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:03 pm

Hi, I'm the mum of two kids who attend aiss and honestly I'm not as happy with the school as I thought I would be. Everything seems nice as long as you have no issues with your child. The moment they have to deal with extra help or need for your child - don't expect they will know how to do it.

rukiddingme

I know

Post by rukiddingme » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 6:18 pm

a few families who started there, and switched out. The people we rented our house from were Aussies who just moved back to Sydney, their kids went to the American school. There are so many good schools here, I wouldn't pick on the sole basis of nationality, particularly if your kids are younger.

Forget about UWC with its huge waiting lists, that's for people who are here for the long haul not those popping in for 2/3 year stints.

The IB program is fantastic, my kids have been in school in UK, Oz and USA. I wish they'd been in the IB all along, rather than dealing with the national programs.

Just my 2 cents...

Sonar

AISS

Post by Sonar » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:02 pm

Seemed like a good school at first, but I agree with the previous poster who said that if your child had any special needs, they are not much use. Don't expect much unless you enjoy recommendations for expensive testing and very little attention paid to the results, except for more recommendations to hire this or that outside professional at substantial cost.

They are very good with the jargon and say all the right things, however it's not backed up by action, and they have a very "toe the line" mentality.

I am currently in the process of looking at other schools.

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Post by mrdodge » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:01 pm

After being turned down by several schools we found stars development center, now international integrated school. Specifically aimed at non mainstream children and I cannot speak too highly of them.