Singapore Expats

where to buy plug adaptors/extension

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sarked

where to buy plug adaptors/extension

Post by sarked » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 2:12 pm

Hello!

We have a washer and a dryer that has a plug with three round prongs.

My problem is that we only have 1 plug that allows this 3 round prongs so we can only use either the washer or the dryer.

I'm looking for an extension cord so I can have both the dryer and washer running at the same time.

I'm just new here in Singapore so I'm only familiar with the more popular stores.

Thanks in advance.

frenzal
Regular
Regular

Post by frenzal » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 2:27 pm

I bought an excellent universal power board in either lucky plaza or at far east. Just walk into any electronics store and ask, pretty much

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 4:01 pm

That's not a good idea. Your circuit breaker box is only loaded with probably a 20 amp breaker on that socket. The reason those have the round plugs is to keep you from overloading the breaker thereby tripping it. You will not be able to find an extension cord with a heavy-duty plug that you mention as they are designed that way to keep you from causing a potential fire hazard. I would suggest that you only run one at a time else you are asking for trouble. That, or get an electrician in to see if the guage wiring that is being used with the socket is sufficient to handle the overload and if so, maybe installing a higher rated circuit breaker. This is not a job for DIY I can assure you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 5:01 pm

i concur with what sms said. the round pin on the plug is there for a reason. this is a job for an electrician.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 7:44 pm

The boys are correct, call an electrician. Otherwise you'll have more problems that what you started with. Possibly not only your apartment, but others in the condo as well. Let your finger do the talking....

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:19 pm

Exactly what they said. Don't do it. Unless you like smoke and blackness that is. :wink:
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sarked

Post by sarked » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:18 am

Thanks for the reply guys!

I'll talk to the building management about it.

Thanks!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:37 am

do you really need the dryer? i got a dryer too but never use it. i hang out my clothes in the clothes rack and will dry in a couple of hours. more natural way to dry and to keep my carbon footprint low. :)

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 1:39 pm

If its just you, then I would guess that you can get by without the dryer. But if you are married and/or with a family, you 'll be glad you got that electrician in to the correct wiring.

mikem

Power Cord

Post by mikem » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 4:32 pm

We're trying to put some water features and lights outside but can't seem to find any extension cords for exterior...just the interior ones. Any idea where I might find an external extension cord?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 6:21 pm

Generally any industrial strength electrical shop can set you up. Usually custom made with waterproof rubber covered sockets and plugs. Travel around some of the industrial estates. We have two here at Enterprise Hub out on Toh Guan East Road. Can't say for sure that they have them but I would assume most any decent sized/equipped electrical shop could fix you up if you tell 'em what you want.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers