Singapore Expats

I'm from India.. Some info please

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
SK

I'm from India.. Some info please

Post by SK » Tue, 01 Feb 2005 3:30 pm

Hi ,
I know that my queries seem a bit repetitive if people have gone thru other posts in this forum. So my apologies in advance,

I just landed a software job at S$5500pm + another S$5500 at the end of 1 year. My wife and I plan to land in Singapore early March.
Do you know what kind of tax I will have to pay.

Also my work place would be in changi business park area. Any suggestions for getting a good house. at reasonable rates. I understand that at $1000-1200 I can get a good furnished apt . But I'd prefer one near the metro. Any suggestions?

Also Id have to squirrel away about $2000 pm because of a motgage loan I have in India. Do you think this is feasible?

Thanks in advance....

singaporean

tax

Post by singaporean » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:25 pm

Tax rate in singapore is really low and most people pay next to nothing. Check online for the inland revenue department for the tax rate. I think the top rate is about 19% which comes in when you earn more than 200K....not sure.

If you are on a budget, then perhaps living a bit further from the metro is better. Unless you are talking about condominiums, flats around the metro are older and not too nice. The condos are very expensive... We have a very good public transport system so make full use of it. Nice suburbs to live are Ang Moh Kio, Tao Payoh, Bishan, SErangoon. They are a few train stops from the city. Singapore is actually quite small so everywhere is quite near. A train ride across the whole country will take you about 45 to 1 hour. A government HDB is very good and more than 90% of us live in them. My friend rented a 2-bedroom in Ang moh Kio for about $750 a month.

If you are on a budget, the best thing is too perhaps try to cook at home as much as possible. Buying food cost about $2 a person. Buying a car is too expensive here...there is no need anyway. Just rent one when you need.

Living in the east of singapore would be better if you are thinking of going to little india in serangoon. However, the trains in the northeast of singapore are slightly expensive (10-20 cents more) but are less crowded and fully automated (ie...no driver). I'd personally like anywhere on the nrotheast line cos the other train lines are really really crowded...imagine tokyo.

Public schools are the way to go for your kids and are almost free. I was a PR and I paid about $15 per term.

Trying to save 2000 every month is not hard but that means you'll have to cut down on luxury items such as restaurants etc.

SK

Post by SK » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 2:22 pm

Singaporean,
That was very informative. Thanks a bunch.
SK