Singapore Expats

Silkair

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
juzdachic

Post by juzdachic » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:21 pm

hi all

Gonna be a long post, but may be worth sharing. Read on.

Im from batch 60+.

If you're thinking that u'll get to spend a few days' at the destination and go sight-seeing, i suggest u bury the thought at once. Go choose international carriers.

SilkAir provides turnaroundflights. U wun get a chance to shop there, much less overnight. Count your blessings if AOG (aircraft on ground) occurs, where u can at least get ur feet on the grounds of the airport of the destination, take a sniff of the place, and quickly make a souvenir purchase.

Turnaround flights can be very tiring. Its not like SQ where the flights are long-haul n u can take a break. For Silkair, upon reaching the destination, u have to immediately prepare (tidying, prepare meals etc) for the return flight. Imagine Ex-Sin is 5hrs, meaning in total, u work for 10hrs on the flight itself non-stop. N that excludes ur reporting time (which is 2hrs before the flight). Well, if all goes well throughout the flight, u'll be a happy stewardess at the end of the day. But, bear in mind it doesnt happen that way all the time.

I was fresh from school when i joined SilkAir. I didnt know much about the harsh working world. My first few training flights were completely sucky. I just couldnt understand the "culture", until a senior (not very senior in fact, just a batch before me, n still hadnt graduate too at that time) scornfully told me to "Adapt our culture." What with the zapping, seniority status (still greatly in practice), u-cant-voice-out-ur-opinion-or-it-means-ur-talking-back culture.. haiz..
Everything was a shock to me.. but certainly an eye opener. :shock:

I quit not long after, coz i was completely in a shock n i just couldnt adapt. Half of my batchgirls are still surviving there. Happy for them.

I respect stewardesses for having the strength of steel in them, able to be thick-skinned and enduring crews alike throughout.

My advice for those aspiring stewardesses is, talk to various people who work in the airline industry.. get an idea.. then make ur stand. Otherwise, u can jump on the boat now n be the Superwoman up there. Either way, just make sure u have the $7.8K handy aite. =)

:wink:

take everything with a pinch of salt

hilove

Post by hilove » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 3:19 am

Hi juzdachic....
thanks for sharing.
the "$7.8K" which u mentioned, i supposed u mean to pay them incase of breaking the bond??

Can u share with us hows the roster like?
Lk did u get to knw ur schedule for the whole of one mth or is it lk weekly thingy where u cnt even plan ur own personal life properly?

was it a very hectic schedule?

juzdachic

Post by juzdachic » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:17 am

Hi hilove,

yup ur right. Thats the $$$$ u have to compensate SilkAir if u break the bond.

Actually, the amount stated in the bond/contract is $7.5K. However, I must let u noe that upon tendering resignation, u have to give them at least give 2 weeks' notice, meaning to serve them for another couple of weeks or so. Otherwise, they'll charge u approx. another $300 for 24 hrs' notice. :mad:

As for the roster, somewhere around mid month, u'll be given ur roster for the next month. Normally, u'll work for a period of 4 days straight, following a one or two days' off. I wont say that its very hectic that u cant even have ur personal space, but sometimes u have to be on standby (to cover duties for an absent crew) on ur off day.. Thus dats when u cant be too sure about ur rest day after all. :roll:

skalite

jus wondering

Post by skalite » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:55 pm

hey i was wondering if SIA interviewers are the same interviewers as silkair?

Lovely shan
Regular
Regular

Re: jus wondering

Post by Lovely shan » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 2:50 pm

skalite wrote:hey i was wondering if SIA interviewers are the same interviewers as silkair?
They are different.

kittybaby_

Post by kittybaby_ » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 2:43 am

juzdachic wrote:Hi hilove,

yup ur right. Thats the $$$$ u have to compensate SilkAir if u break the bond.

Actually, the amount stated in the bond/contract is $7.5K. However, I must let u noe that upon tendering resignation, u have to give them at least give 2 weeks' notice, meaning to serve them for another couple of weeks or so. Otherwise, they'll charge u approx. another $300 for 24 hrs' notice. :mad:

As for the roster, somewhere around mid month, u'll be given ur roster for the next month. Normally, u'll work for a period of 4 days straight, following a one or two days' off. I wont say that its very hectic that u cant even have ur personal space, but sometimes u have to be on standby (to cover duties for an absent crew) on ur off day.. Thus dats when u cant be too sure about ur rest day after all. :roll:

Possible to disclose how much you took back aft CPF every month?
and wanna enquire aft the intensive training, are u expected to fly immed aft graduation or there will be a few weeks off given?

visualmanic

Post by visualmanic » Wed, 20 Aug 2008 1:43 am

u-cant-voice-out-ur-opinion-or-it-means-ur-talking-back culture.. haiz..
Everything was a shock to me.. but certainly an eye opener. :shock:

I respect stewardesses for having the strength of steel in them, able to be thick-skinned and enduring crews alike throughout.

My advice for those aspiring stewardesses is, talk to various people who work in the airline industry.. get an idea.. then make ur stand. Otherwise, u can jump on the boat now n be the Superwoman up there. Either way, just make sure u have the $7.8K handy aite. =)

:wink:

take everything with a pinch of salt[/quote]

Hi there,
thanks for sharing,may i know are you still an fs ?of which airline? i too heard of such unfortunate events which i still can't come up with any conclusion of why seniors love to zap freshies.
Its downright unethical, unprofessional and it makes one wonder how they eventually get promoted to become seniors.
It's such a shame if its a recycling method of teaching the juniors.
I just dont understand why they are so hostile when it comes to sharing knowledge.Worst,they have to make things difficult for the poor freshies.
i mean if you're not up to it,why become a leader?
the management should look into the matter but i guess its something they cant care less about since this is a job which thousands of girls would kill for.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion

would it be too much to have a private chat with you?

juzdachic

Post by juzdachic » Wed, 20 Aug 2008 3:23 pm

Reply to Kittybaby:

If u put in 110% of all ur energy, no taking of leave/mc and opting for mostly longer flights, ur take-home pay can be as high as $3.2K. On average, it would be around $2.6K.

N btw, u'll be required to fly immediately after u graduate.

kittybaby_

Post by kittybaby_ » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 3:52 am

juzdachic wrote:Reply to Kittybaby:

If u put in 110% of all ur energy, no taking of leave/mc and opting for mostly longer flights, ur take-home pay can be as high as $3.2K. On average, it would be around $2.6K.

N btw, u'll be required to fly immediately after u graduate.

May i know how long aft last day of training you are considered graduate?
and are u suppose to be on MC during training if u are really really sick?

balukugirl
Regular
Regular

Post by balukugirl » Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:26 am

RECRUITMENT in SEPTEMBER

Flight Stewardess
Full/Part Time Full-time
Location Singapore,
Description We are looking for cabin crew with a combination of grace and a warm smile to provide excellent and attentive service to our customers.

Requirements:
. Minimum height of 1.58m
. Minimum of 3 GCE 'O' Level or 4 GCE 'N' Level credits
including English.

We offer a host of generous service benefits including:
. Free and discounted travel
. Annual wage supplement of one month's salary
. Profit sharing bonus
. Attractive medical and dental benefits
. Meal, productivity and transport allowance where
applicable.

If you think you have what it takes to be part of our team, come and see us at Marina Mandarin Singapore, Vanda 4(Level 6), 6 Raffles Boulevard, Marina Square between 9am and 4.30pm on 5th, 6th or 7th September 2008.

Please bring along your NRIC, copies of educational certificates and 2 passport-sized photographs. Singaporeans and permanent residents preferred.
' -Sweet Sweet Love `

Melodyy

Post by Melodyy » Wed, 27 Aug 2008 8:27 pm

I'm going on the 6th :wink:

Anyone??

bluexob
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluexob » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:02 am

Melodyy wrote:I'm going on the 6th :wink:

Anyone??
I'm going!!
But donno which day to go...
Care to share msn maybe??

ping29

Post by ping29 » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:15 pm

hi,
i feel like goin to.. but i m a msian.. do you think they ll kick me out??

ping29

Post by ping29 » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:22 pm

hi,

its me again.. just wonder bluexob & melodyy.. you guys been to the interview before?? i nvr tried silkair interview before.. in dilemma whether to try or not...hope to hear from you guys soon...

Fatty
Regular
Regular

Post by Fatty » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 1:14 pm

ping29 wrote:hi,

its me again.. just wonder bluexob & melodyy.. you guys been to the interview before?? i nvr tried silkair interview before.. in dilemma whether to try or not...hope to hear from you guys soon...
i didnt go for the interview be4 too. wanting to try.... :) anybody knw if their interview still have the swimming round cos i heard frm my frien she went for the previous intake, there is no more swimming test.

Return to “Airline Careers”