Singapore Expats

which martial arts?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
which one

which martial arts?

Post by which one » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 9:06 pm

I would like for myself and my daughter to learn self defence. Can anyone recommend one for children and adults with minimal physical strength to learn. Anywhere close to Holland V? Cheers.

Mushin

Post by Mushin » Sat, 15 Jan 2005 9:28 am

If you send me a message at [email protected] I would be happy to give you more information - I have a good idea of which martial arts would be suitable for you and your daughter as far as self defence goes

dissipate

Post by dissipate » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 6:35 pm

check out this month's issue of Today's Parents (magazine); there's an article inside on martial arts for kids.

Premium Polar

Post by Premium Polar » Sun, 30 Jan 2005 2:00 pm

There are very few martial arts schools in Singapore. I brought my kid to one Tae Kwon Do school in Lavender but they mixed up adult and kids in one class and I didn't think that was so good for my son's progress so I enrolled him in Kim's Tae Kwon Do at Golden Mile. They just moved to Bugis this weekend but I haven't seen the new premises yet.

Mushin

Post by Mushin » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 5:05 pm

Actually there are a lot of martial arts schools in Singapore. but most are not easy to find unless one is familiar with the local scene. One caveat - self defence is a subset of martial arts but not necessarily the other way around. Authentic martial arts schools typically don't focus on kids because it is difficult enough to teach an adult not to mention kids. Authentic martial arts come with an indepth learning that would boggle even the mind of a PhD holder. Self defence is a simplified abstract of martial arts applied to certain needs.

Akira

Any Kung Fu school in Singapore

Post by Akira » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:29 pm

Mushin,

it seems to me that you are the right person to ask. I recently moved into Singapore and am interested to join some Kung Fu classes. Not for self defense but for fitness & interest to the Chinese martial arts philosophy.

Anything you could advise that is not too expensive and not too far out of the centre? Doesn't have to be fancy as long as classes are good.

Thanks a lot ([email protected])