Singapore Expats

House & Electro DJ recently arrived - looking 2 spin

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
colincrumble

House & Electro DJ recently arrived - looking 2 spin

Post by colincrumble » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:41 pm

House & Electro DJ recently arrived - looking 4 somewhere 2 spin

Hi,

I'm Colin, 25 from Manchester, England. I've just spent 18 months livin in Australia....Now have a new job based in Singapore, I've been here for about two months.

Would love to get back into spinnin at a club/bar somewhere in Singapore. Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, Sentosa, wherever....

I play house & elecro, bits twisted disco and progressive....I don't have my own decks in SG, but I have all my own music. I 've been DJ'in for around 7 years, and spent time spinnin in the UK, Greek islands, Thailand, Vietnam and Australia....I still keep very up to date with music ans sure I have a great selection & skills to rock most places here!!

Anyway, any contacts or leads, info all appreciated.
Cheers,
Colin

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:23 am

House & Electro DJs are a dime a dozen. It used to be the case where as an 'ang moh' DJ, you have an easier task getting your foot in the door but I think club/bar owners are starting to realise not every whiteboy jock is worth 200 bucks an hour.

Still, your best bet is to either make friends with the owners of places you want to spin at, or people who do. Maybe distribute a sample mix CD to showcase your talent. In other words, just like how you'd get a gig any where in the world.
some signatures are more equal than others

colincrumble

Post by colincrumble » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 6:05 pm

banana wrote:House & Electro DJs are a dime a dozen. It used to be the case where as an 'ang moh' DJ, you have an easier task getting your foot in the door but I think club/bar owners are starting to realise not every whiteboy jock is worth 200 bucks an hour.

Still, your best bet is to either make friends with the owners of places you want to spin at, or people who do. Maybe distribute a sample mix CD to showcase your talent. In other words, just like how you'd get a gig any where in the world.
thanks for the erm, help and optimism banana

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 6:48 pm

colin,

He's just tellin' it like it is. I been here over a quarter of a century now and I've also seen lots of changes in that respect from very close quarters (not dj'ing but my wife was a professional singer and 3 of her brothers are/were as well. So I've been around the music scene here for a long time as well.

He's giving you good advice. This isn't the Singapore of 20 years ago when everybody dropped over dead in their tracks in awe. Now you really have to have something special.

Forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

colincrumble

Post by colincrumble » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 8:03 pm

thanks. i'm not sure where in the ad, i wrote, i'm a white guy who can dj and think this qualifies me above anyone else, local or not?!
i'm lucky enough to say i've travelled extensively around Asia, so it may come as a surprise but in my short time here i can kind of see Singapore is not some third world, under developed city where the locals are going to pay homage cos a guy can mix two tunes together....
as with so many things in this life, who you know can be just as important as what you know, so the point of the ad was hopefully to source some useful contacts of ppl in the scene or some who could point me in the right direction. not to be patronised by useless information.
thanks to anyone actually looking to help rather than state the bleedin obvious....

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 8:52 pm

colincrumble wrote:thanks. i'm not sure where in the ad, i wrote, i'm a white guy who can dj and think this qualifies me above anyone else, local or not?!
i'm lucky enough to say i've travelled extensively around Asia, so it may come as a surprise but in my short time here i can kind of see Singapore is not some third world, under developed city where the locals are going to pay homage cos a guy can mix two tunes together....
as with so many things in this life, who you know can be just as important as what you know, so the point of the ad was hopefully to source some useful contacts of ppl in the scene or some who could point me in the right direction. not to be patronised by useless information.
thanks to anyone actually looking to help rather than state the bleedin obvious....
I have a contact in USA, who is an agent for DJ's, in Las Vegas he's also worked the Singapore scene, and can maybe put you in contact with any agents in Singapore.

I cannot send you a PM until you have 5 posts.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 9:35 pm

colincrumble wrote:thanks. i'm not sure where in the ad, i wrote, i'm a white guy who can dj and think this qualifies me above anyone else, local or not?!
I'm not sure where in my response that I said you think your skin colour will be an advantage. I brought that up as a matter of fact - that just a few years ago, any half arsed jock could use that as a selling point. Especially in your particular genre of electronic music.

On the other hand, this last post of yours tells me you really do want to take advantage of your expat status to by-pass the "make friends and distribute mixes" step of the process. This leads me to think you're likely to think very highly of yourself, that you're better than the staff at the establishments you want to play at. I'm not sure you're the type of DJ I'd recommend.

colincrumble

Post by colincrumble » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 9:38 pm

oh freak off banana, are you one of these {obscene foul language deleted and any more childish outbursts like that will get you locked out. This is an open board and you would do well to remember that - moderator} with nothin better do to than write on everones posts with your comments that are useless? who the freak are you to judge me? twat.
banana wrote:
I'm not sure where in my response that I said you think your skin colour will be an advantage. I brought that up as a matter of fact - that just a few years ago, any half arsed jock could use that as a selling point. Especially in your particular genre of electronic music.

On the other hand, this last post of yours tells me you really do want to take advantage of your expat status to by-pass the "make friends and distribute mixes" step of the process. This leads me to think you're likely to think highly of yourself, that you're better than the staff at the establishments you want to play at. I'm not sure you're the type of DJ I'd recommend.

colincrumble

Post by colincrumble » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 9:39 pm

ksl wrote:
I have a contact in USA, who is an agent for DJ's, in Las Vegas he's also worked the Singapore scene, and can maybe put you in contact with any agents in Singapore.

I cannot send you a PM until you have 5 posts.
cheers ksl for something actually useful mate

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:16 pm

colincrumble wrote:oh freak off banana, are you one of these XXXXX with nothin better do to than write on everones posts with your comments that are useless? who the freak are you to judge me? twat.
No, I'm the sort of XXXX could actually help you play at places other than the four floors.

Nonetheless, good luck. You'll need it.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:43 pm

No question that the Nanner reigns supreme in pulling the chains of new posters... amazing how many so quickly succumb. colincrumble, you've been had mate, taken down big time. Not much choice except to admit you just blew up... unless of course your self righteous streak won't permit that. Xxxxt? Twat? Gracious! He's just a simple (and clever) banana. You've slipped on the peel.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 1:17 am

Getting a DJ slot in Singapore is pretty hard and as mentioned before, the angh moh DJ thing is dead and done, Try this site to start for a tatse of the DJ scene in Singapore

http://www.frontallabs.com

the other problem here is the fact that many places will want you take requests (meaning play the latest hip hop tracks all night) or will want only one specific genre of music and dont cross the lines or play anything outside the box.

having DJed here and played out more than once I will tell you that its hard and the DJs that do make it here are like anywhere else, not always the best but the hardest working.

If your a real DJ you will know the deal anyway so go out and see the scene in action, meet the DJs and start promoting, but keep your day job.

good luck

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 4:10 am

Strong Eagle wrote:No question that the Nanner reigns supreme in pulling the chains of new posters... amazing how many so quickly succumb. colincrumble, you've been had mate, taken down big time. Not much choice except to admit you just blew up... unless of course your self righteous streak won't permit that. Xxxxt? Twat? Gracious! He's just a simple (and clever) banana. You've slipped on the peel.
The chain yankerer, that's me. No skin off my back! :lol:

No wait, who else did I bust? :shock: