Singapore Expats

What are "good" and "bad" Singaporean foods?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
ferrisld

What are "good" and "bad" Singaporean fo

Post by ferrisld » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 5:29 pm

Hi all,

New to Singapore and am getting concerned about the fact that I eat at a hawker center for virtually every meal. :)

My typical meal will be at one of the stalls where you get a serving of rice +2 veg + 1 main (usually meat). At times I go with rice + 3 veg, or rice +2veg + tofu. I'll have this once a day (for lunch or supper), then usually something else - e.g. a curry, a vegetarian dish, or other stuff I can't even describe (yesterday - fried hor fun from a vegetarian stall). Plus some berries and a whole-grain cereal for breakfast.

Is this the path to weight gain? I don't even know the names of what I'm eating so I can't really check on websites. What are the "good" and "bad" food in Singapore - things that may be surprisingly bad for you? For example, I read that bubble tea has like 13 g of fat, which blew me away. :) Is Lime juice bad for you, because that's my newest addiction. :)

Thanks - I run about 4x a week for 20 min each, so I'm trying to lose weight, but want to make sure I'm not sabotaging my efforts!

feline.eyes
Chatter
Chatter
Location: Don't count on me little post-its. I am now the infrequent-er.

Re: What are "good" and "bad" Singaporea

Post by feline.eyes » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 6:43 pm

:-|
Last edited by feline.eyes on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't count on me little post-its. I am now the infrequent-er.

ferrisld

Post by ferrisld » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 8:15 pm

Ah, yong tau fu - I've seen that all over but not really figured it out yet. What's the deal, you just choose 7 items and they..put it in broth for you? I like the popiah so I'll have to work that in more. Tonight I had dumpling + noodles (not in soup), so hopefully that was ok. :)

I'm not on a low carb diet, I don't think I could survive on that. In fact, I don't think I've had a meal here that hasn't included rice or noodles yet! :)

feline.eyes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by feline.eyes » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 9:59 pm

Last edited by feline.eyes on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 8:16 pm

aiya... try to cut down lor if you can, and cook at home more mah. nothing beats having a home cooked meal. you also need to add more fiber like fruits and vegs into your diet.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 8:29 pm

TOP Posting - feline.eyes - very well done :)

P & C

feline.eyes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by feline.eyes » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 8:33 pm

Last edited by feline.eyes on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ferrisld

Post by ferrisld » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 9:49 pm

Yeah, I think i'm going to have to go with the home cooking. Sigh. I want to avoid that because I have bugs, and I don't want to give them anything else that might attract them...just have to clean up super-good I guess. :)

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:42 pm

the problem with eating out all the time is yo dont know how muh salt and sugar intake you are putting your body thru, and other stuff like MSG, E-numbers, etc.

just some good old fashion home cooking will do you good. eat at least 5 portion of fruits or vegs a day and have a balance diet. you know it make sense. :)

* 1 portion = a fist size.
** but not 5 portion of durian a day!

ancientmoon

Post by ancientmoon » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:53 pm

most of the foods in foodcourt quite salty
but i still luv it !

dennis_tew

Post by dennis_tew » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 3:29 pm

Try eating western food like grilled chicken chop.

As it will have enough protein and for carb u can ask if there is bake potatoes. Min the gravy and sauces as too much unwanted calories from them.

As singapore foods, normally are just carb and min protein and this will led to high fat storage if you could use up the calories from carb.
"A man's health can be judged by which he takes two at a time - pills or stairs."

ferrisld

Post by ferrisld » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 7:18 pm

Hmm, but I certainly want to avoid the Western food - I didn't come all this way to eat what I had back in Canada. ;)

Things are actually not working out too bad - I mix in yong tau foo and mixed rice stalls. Also I was told Korean is pretty healthy (not oily), so I've been having that (helps that there's a great Korean stall just outside of Junction8 where I live). Finally, the more-or-less daily 20-min runs I've been doing have helped me lose about 4 kg. :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 7:34 pm

durain wrote:the problem with eating out all the time is yo dont know how muh salt and sugar intake you are putting your body thru, and other stuff like MSG, E-numbers, etc.

just some good old fashion home cooking will do you good. eat at least 5 portion of fruits or vegs a day and have a balance diet. you know it make sense. :)

* 1 portion = a fist size.
** but not 5 portion of durian a day!
Is durian bad for you? Thought all fruits were good?

dennis_tew

Post by dennis_tew » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 8:13 pm

ferrisld wrote:Hmm, but I certainly want to avoid the Western food - I didn't come all this way to eat what I had back in Canada. ;)

Things are actually not working out too bad - I mix in yong tau foo and mixed rice stalls. Also I was told Korean is pretty healthy (not oily), so I've been having that (helps that there's a great Korean stall just outside of Junction8 where I live). Finally, the more-or-less daily 20-min runs I've been doing have helped me lose about 4 kg. :)
lol, sorry i didn't know about that. Glad to hear that things are working out for u. And congrats on ur weight loss. :)
"A man's health can be judged by which he takes two at a time - pills or stairs."

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 8:22 pm

durian is BAD for you if you eat tons of it. it is because durian is a "heat/hot" kind of fruit, just like lychee. so what you need is to balance it with something cooling like mangosteen or drink lots of water. hence in the good old days, you usually see mangosteen next to durians in the stall.