Singapore Expats

help!i cant use my wireless at company but other places can

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
lordsgrace

how about if i change it to Win XP?

Post by lordsgrace » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 9:42 am

Hi friends

My problem is not settle yet! I appreciate any one can help more practical, i.e. come down from online discussion come to my office to have a look?

I had a friend ever suggest me to change to Win Xp. Hse said might be faster and easier.

LG
god loves people, pray people will be humble turn to Him to be blessed

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:11 am

I doubt anybody will come down to your office to fix your problem. Unless of course you call a pro company.

It's useful fro you to discover whats wrong yourself. While it's painful it s a learning curve and the knowledge will help you in future.

One thing often forgotten is the channel number. Make sure you're lap top is set to auto. There are 13 channels for 802.11g wifi. Maybe your laptop is set to Ch6 ( the most common one hence it working in Maccy D's) and you office to to another ....just an idea.

Give us more info.
how do you connect ( or try to connect) Your office network must have a name ?? can your laptop "see" the network

The more info you give the better chance you have of getting a positive answer.

Good luck

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:18 am

Oh and dont worry about the other posters hijackin this thread to waffle about vista and usb probs.

Vista has to be the biggest basket of fluff ever to sold the PC community.

Anybody willing to spend that much time getting a product working should just download linux ...faster , just as much fluff but can be switched off, better support and free. If youd all just get over the "free and good" can;t be possible concept you'd be happy. :shock:

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 7:39 pm

it is very difficult to troubleshoot why you cant connect to your office WLAN but you can in McD with very limited information.

you really need to contact your company's IT support to get the WLAN config/setup for the singapore office. what is the SSID? encryption? is it using MAC address filtering? what AP it is using? it is just an internet router or proper corp AP? is the WLAN using a wireless digital cert? have you managed to connect wirelessly before? have you got another laptop you could try to connect to the wireless? are your colleagues using vista as well? is your laptop a bog standard vista or a company's custom vista build?

i cant believe your company couldnt help you. how are they suppose to support the remote office? ask the users to post in forums for help?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 2:24 pm

bigfilsing wrote: Anybody willing to spend that much time getting a product working should just download linux ...faster , just as much fluff but can be switched off, better support and free. If youd all just get over the "free and good" can;t be possible concept you'd be happy. :shock:

I put Linux on one of my PC's in the office, running OpenOffice as well. Did this installation recently and it still needs a lot of work to make it as simple to install and set-up as Windows, especially with printers etc.

This is not the solution in this case.

Going back to XP is still a solution but a bit defeatist. There are a lot of people not happy with Vista but there is equally a lot of people that are happy, and now apart from one small but irritating problem i am relatively happy with it too.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:08 pm

once i put a bootable linux live CD (knoppix linux which will run linux on a bootable cd without any installation to the hdd) on a colleague's PC. he went mental thinking someone wiped his hdd and installed linux! :P

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:53 pm

durain wrote:once i put a bootable linux live CD (knoppix linux which will run linux on a bootable cd without any installation to the hdd) on a colleague's PC. he went mental thinking someone wiped his hdd and installed linux! :P
I have exactly the same version, and tried it on CD first.......before going the whole 9-yards and wiping Windows. It's not easy to get everything working though, even set-up of OpenOffice was not like from Microsoft.

It is complicated, and a good learning experience but for sure is not the answer for this wireless problem.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:22 am

I wasn't suggesting he replace vista with linux. One area linux is still struggling with is PNP or wireless adapters.

I was more refering to the guys that hijacked the thread to waffle about vista ( problems)

One of the wonderful things about linux is customisation. Desktop themes that are free to download etc etc. I used a couple that are identical to XP and quicker too.
The latest Ubunutu is a great OS and is very easy to install as a dual boot option ( ie XP and linux on the same machine)

Hope the OP has sorted his problems out by now

Cheers

lordsgrace

reply to bigfisl

Post by lordsgrace » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:37 am

I doubt anybody will come down to your office to fix your problem. Unless of course you call a pro company.

It's useful fro you to discover whats wrong yourself. While it's painful it s a learning curve and the knowledge will help you in future.

One thing often forgotten is the channel number. Make sure you're lap top is set to auto. There are 13 channels for 802.11g wifi. Maybe your laptop is set to Ch6 ( the most common one hence it working in Maccy D's) and you office to to another ....just an idea.

Give us more info.
how do you connect ( or try to connect) Your office network must have a name ?? can your laptop "see" the network

Thank you, i do have a biger laptop which is vista too for using the wirless in the company, now i use a small one brand is called Kohjinsha, i tried many times to go t the shop ask for help, go the distributor office ask for repaire, but i was told nothing wrong as i can connect to the wireless, however whenenver i came back to office, i go to "connect to a network"icon, i can see :"default" my company's network name, i click connect, the later process always comes " can not connect with default".

I was stuck there with angry and come to the officer, they told me so far nobody has the same problems, we are not iT guy, so we cant figure out your problem.."

I wish I had explained to you how do i tried my best"

thank you again

LG
god loves people, pray people will be humble turn to Him to be blessed