Singapore Expats

Qantas Aeroplane

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Qantas Aeroplane

Post by ksl » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 1:54 am

Shock ! Hole appears in aeroplane at 30,000ft air -o- plane scary

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7524733.stm

I am also registered on a pilot website, and the discussion is quite disturbing, that Qantas had recently purchased 3 planes from Asia, and they have cut back on costs, by outsourcing services, of which pilots are concerned about.

Must have been a terrifying ordeal for passengers, but my hat off to the cabin crew, who appear to have remained cool, it is standard operating procedure to drop rapidly on decompression, and pilots do train for it, but many have never experienced the real thing. Well done the crew!
Last edited by ksl on Sat, 26 Jul 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 2:08 am

That is not the first time that has happened, some of the older posters may remember the same thing happened to a United Airlines plane. In that case the situation was worse since several passengers were ejected through the hole in the fuselage. :( In the words of James Barclay a one time air-crash investigator; "There are no new aviation disasters, only people with short memories!" :(

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 2:14 am

Plavt wrote:That is not the first time that has happened, some of the older posters may remember the same thing happened to a United Airlines plane. In that case the situation was worse since several passengers were ejected through the hole in the fuselage. :(
I was on a pilots website, and decided not to post what is discussed, but the latest is that Quantas purchased 3 planes from Asia recently and have been outsourcing to cut costs. No doubt they will be grounded by now. crikey i had to come out of that pilots website, too much heavy stuff in there for me :oops: having dropped from 1000ft on a night navex in 1974 in a bell 47. head gasket blown.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 3:51 am

in the good old days, qantas ONLY has 747s and i think is one of the airline without a major air crash.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 4:04 am

durain wrote:in the good old days, qantas ONLY has 747s and i think is one of the airline without a major air crash.
That was true!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 5:28 am

durain wrote:in the good old days, qantas ONLY has 747s and i think is one of the airline without a major air crash.
Quantas has had a crash but it was so long ago few if anybody living now can remember (so I am told and I am not sure but the Airline may have had a different name at the time). There was one incident in Thailand where a Quantas plane overshot the runway if I remember correctly.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 6:58 am

Plavt wrote:That is not the first time that has happened, some of the older posters may remember the same thing happened to a United Airlines plane. In that case the situation was worse since several passengers were ejected through the hole in the fuselage. :( In the words of James Barclay a one time air-crash investigator; "There are no new aviation disasters, only people with short memories!" :(
The UA flight was a cargo door locking mechanism failure, just looking at the pics that's not the case with yesterday's incident. It doesn't need a genius to realise that it's an unfortunate case of metal fatigue which will cost Boeing a fortune!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 7:52 am

Saint wrote: The UA flight was a cargo door locking mechanism failure, just looking at the pics that's not the case with yesterday's incident. It doesn't need a genius to realise that it's an unfortunate case of metal fatigue which will cost Boeing a fortune!
That was a different incident to the one I quoted, as I mentioned the incident I remember several passengers were killed (can't find the report at present).

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 7:54 am

Plavt wrote:
Saint wrote: The UA flight was a cargo door locking mechanism failure, just looking at the pics that's not the case with yesterday's incident. It doesn't need a genius to realise that it's an unfortunate case of metal fatigue which will cost Boeing a fortune!
That was a different incident to the one I quoted, as I mentioned the incident I remember several passengers were killed (can't find the report at present).
Sorry but no other UA 747 incident recorded, I've just checked

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 8:07 am

Saint wrote: Sorry but no other UA 747 incident recorded, I've just checked

Have just checked myself and don't see it recorded either but well remember it so will have to check elsewhere will let you know if I find it.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 8:12 am

Plavt wrote:
Saint wrote: Sorry but no other UA 747 incident recorded, I've just checked

Have just checked myself and don't see it recorded either but well remember it so will have to check elsewhere will let you know if I find it.
Plavt, remember I work for Corporation of Lloyds , believe me, I've checked!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 8:17 am

Saint wrote:
How far do your records go back? The only thing I can think of is it may have been a different airline to what I thought but I don't think so. However, it is a long time ago, before 1995 I think. :-k :-k

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 8:27 am

Plavt wrote:
Saint wrote:
How far do your records go back? The only thing I can think of is it may have been a different airline to what I thought but I don't think so. However, it is a long time ago, before 1995 I think. :-k :-k
Do you want to see the full insurance claims report of the 1977 Tenerife Air incident!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 8:27 am

Found it, seems it may be a bit before your time and shows my age again. :oops: I don't know how far your records go back or if Lloyds would have been in any way involved at the time since that area of life is out of my realm. However here's the link and a summary;

http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/united.htm

24 February 1989; United Air Lines 747; near Hawaii: The forward cargo door blew out during climb and part of the fuselage and interior also blew out of the aircraft. Nine of the 336 passengers were killed
Last edited by Plavt on Sat, 26 Jul 2008 8:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 8:34 am

Plavt wrote:Found it, seems it may be a bit before your time and shows my age again. :oops: I don't know how far your records go back or if Lloyds would have been in any way involved at the time since that area of life is out of my realm. However here's the link and a summary;

http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/united.htm

24 February 1989; United Air Lines 747; near Hawaii: The forward cargo door blew out during climb and part of the fuselage and interior also blew out of the aircraft. Nine of the 336 passengers were killed
look at my posting times 6.58 :roll:

Return to “General Discussions”