Singapore Expats

Zebra Crossing - Pedestrian Crossing

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:17 pm

bruinbear wrote:What about the drivers in Malaysia?
At least they know they are crap :o and know how to have a laugh about it
Last edited by QRM on Sun, 20 Jul 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:17 am

I had a post submitted earlier but its not there so briefly.....

I was talking about those people i watch from car-lengths away. The walk towards the kerb, slow, stop, take a step back all the while i'm getting closer and watching them do this dance.

At the last moment they head purposefully towards the kerb, and zebra crossing and i have to slam on the brakes. some are lucky i have racing brakes, they leave the decision so late.

Now, i see this both as a driver and a pedestrian...... many others don't. You always need to consider what your actions are doing or seen to be doing from those around you. I always stop but there have been cases when there's a person standing on the kerb and once i've stoppped they waved "No" and just walked the other way.

They were just standing there in a day dream, right on the kerb at the zebra crossing without consideration of what problems might arise.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 1:05 pm

familyof5 wrote:
i'm guessing that the pedestrian is well aware that it is harder to stop a car....hence the hesitation.

I've never seen such a mass of rubbish drivers as i have in singapore.
The pedestrian hesitation isn't because they know is harder to stop a car, but because they know the drive WON"T stop the car even if they could as the driver knows the pedestrian is not going to play chicken with a car. Slight difference in meaning...... :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 1:08 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote: They were just standing there in a day dream, right on the kerb at the zebra crossing without consideration of what problems might arise.
That's just the much talked about lack of spatial awareness that occurs here. No different that their stopping at the bottom or top of the escalators to talk or walking into you on the sidewalk..... :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 1:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote: They were just standing there in a day dream, right on the kerb at the zebra crossing without consideration of what problems might arise.
That's just the much talked about lack of spatial awareness that occurs here. No different that their stopping at the bottom or top of the escalators to talk or walking into you on the sidewalk..... :roll:
....which is why a double pram is a useful weapon in singapore. nobody plays chicken with a double pram.....and wins. :twisted:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 3:25 pm

familyof5 wrote:
....which is why a double pram is a useful weapon in singapore. nobody plays chicken with a double pram.....and wins. :twisted:
I told my wife 5 years between kids was too long! :lol:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 5:22 pm

Don't always blame the driver. It's a, um...... two way street :P

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 5:34 pm

just what do you think you're driving at scooby??

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 6:00 pm

Once in London the car in front did not stop at a zebra crossing for a bunch of guys crossing, as the car went by they all kicked the car doors in. Needless to say I stopped for them and they waved a thanks and walked across while yelling at the driver of the now very dented car, who wisely decided not to come out and make an issue of it.

Might work here, will certainly wake the drivers up. :lol:

True what KSL said in the UK the moment someone puts a foot on the zebra crossing you have to stop, even if its 30m wide and you can easily pass in front of the pedestrian, AND you cant move until they are off the crossing.

I have seen people parking and drop people off on zebra crossing here :shock:

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 8:57 pm

so i've been using that hand thing all day today... honk if you see me! :D

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:27 am

familyof5 wrote:just what do you think you're driving at scooby??

That there is as many stupid, selfish, inconsiderate, non-thinking pedestrians as there are drivers...... probably more because simply there are more people walk than drive.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:57 pm

oh scooby....scooby. two way street....what are you driving at...i meant....oh never mind.

cbavasi...was that you giving me the finger??

guitarnoise

Post by guitarnoise » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 1:52 pm

I guess those solid lines with STOP painted in front of them mean drivers are supposed to stop as well. I hardly ever see drivers willingly give way to pedestrians in my neighborhood. They just slow enough to clear the speed bump safely. Pedestrians need to be on their guard at every crossing.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 2:06 pm

familyof5 wrote:oh scooby....scooby. two way street....what are you driving at...i meant....oh never mind.
Oh I See...... a joke!

No, not funny :wink:

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 2:24 pm

well, to be more specific, a pun. and you started it..... :P

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”