Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
viper
Regular
Regular

Post by viper » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 4:53 pm

Good luck to all those going tomorrow

Determined

Post by Determined » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:51 am

For those who went for the write in 2 weeks ago, can we still go for the walk in today?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 1:47 pm

fuschial wrote: One of my friends was thinking of blissfully omitting the fact that she has a child and see if she gets through. If she does, then we all know that 'under the table' discrimination is at play here.
While I don't condone it, it will be VERY interesting to see if your friend does get in. It might not prove too much, but would certainly weigh in support of discrimination at SQ.

Mind you, airlines have been doing this for years. My ex fiance was an F/A (me ex tech crew if you read a few pages back) and while she liked flying and got into Ansett, she herself admitted it was her looks and ability to "toe the company line" rather than a love of flying or a real desire for customer service.

By the way, she failed the first series of safety instruction, LOL!

HTH, P (Capt. ex)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 2:12 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote: she herself admitted it was her looks and ability to "toe the company line" rather than a love of flying or a real desire for customer service.
Toeing the company line here in the UK is also a factor that gets people promoted. Such people are all too often inept, have no management skills and as such are totally unsuitable. Amazing what you can do when you are an a**** kisser. :x :(

Mushroom
Regular
Regular

Post by Mushroom » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 3:14 pm

I went to interview today & got kick out at the first round. However previously for the past 2mth that i tried i manage to get in to the uniform fitting. Then in July, both interviews (1st in STC, 2nd in Sheraton) i was not selected. I know i'm not very pretty but i thought i presented quite okay. When the result was out, the two girls beside me - left & right both got in. I'm so demoralised..
Live believing - dreams are for living,
Wonders are waiting to start.

Karyne

Post by Karyne » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 3:26 pm

Just went in and tried today's interview again...Failed.

Well..is 50% percent LUCK you must have.

Ladies and gentlemen, i would like to share from my experiences, as long as you meet the height and qualification criteria, knowing that both your looks and speech are presentable, with or without service experiences ( they normally wont take it into serious consideration - i am in the Hospitality service industry for four years, but do not seem to have much help ), by all means go for the interview!!

When you got there just try your best, cus the remaining depends strongly on your luck!

People u did'nt expect, got in. People u expected, booted out!

For my group which i tried twice, Chinese were last of their choices. Today all Malays from my group got in again, even their intro were just so plain. i know i am stronger as i passed before too but just Unlucky, so unlucky.

Sorry not being racist, i believe they have a quota for the number of each individual race. i was just unlucky.

Seriously, you don't know what they are looking for in you.

Perhaps put in some effort if you have the passion, and PRAY FOR LUCK.

So down....but i will not give up and i will try again. =)
I know i want to be, I can be, and i will be!

My passion in the air.

Karyne says thank you for your replies. ^^

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 3:26 pm

Plavt wrote:... Such people are all too often inept, ...
She was inept at relationships, too. Hence why she visited Dumpedtown, especially after I "forgave" her for knotting up with two other blokes.

I just wished she'd given back the deposit on the apartment I gave her.

Such is life!

Mushroom: Don't judge yourself in terms of whether your think you're pretty or not. That is so not a good way to look at yourself.

viper
Regular
Regular

Post by viper » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 3:36 pm

so anyone in?

Mushroom
Regular
Regular

Post by Mushroom » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 4:24 pm

Karyne: I agree with you that usually minorities stand a higher chance, today my grp malays also got in. All along i heard that minorities had better chance. However the previous months i tried, there were malays but all Chinese got in including myself. But now i think the trend of minorities is back again.

sierra2469alpha: Maybe i lost confident cos i had so much hope when i got into the 1st round the past 2 mth but now it's back to square one.

This is my 5th times, how many more tries do i need? haiyo...
Live believing - dreams are for living,
Wonders are waiting to start.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 4:55 pm

Mushroom wrote:: Maybe i lost confident cos i had so much hope when i got into the 1st round the past 2 mth but now it's back to square one.

Just stay proud of yourself - we all wen through those times - and now in later life you'll find sometimes, you go through it all again!

Best of luck, P.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 5:33 pm

Mushroom wrote:
Some have 6, 7 and 8 times and at least one on this board (can't remember who) tried 11 times. As a former flight engineer, now with JAL told me: 'it is more difficult to be accepted into cabin crew than tech crew with SIA!" Don't forget, it is possible to get turned down even when you are perfectly suitable - simple mathematics.

janicejanice

Post by janicejanice » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 7:00 pm

It's my third try today, and i got booted out in the 1st round again and yet again. Out of 10 ladies, only 3 got in to round 2. I thought i was confident and spoke fairly okay, but then again, it's the ones i thought would not get in, gets in. We seriously do not know what they are looking for.

However, to all out there, no matter how many times you have to try, if you really have the passion to fly, never give up! The luck will turn to you one day! :D
You may not have the best, but you can make your best out of the it.

janicejanice

Post by janicejanice » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 7:10 pm

Mushroom wrote:sierra2469alpha: Maybe i lost confident cos i had so much hope when i got into the 1st round the past 2 mth but now it's back to square one.
I was as hopeful as you were, and had began to lose that confidence in me. But as i told myself, i needed that positive attitude in order to brave through all failures. THus, continue to carry that "HOPE" into the next interview, we'll definitely make it! All the best!
You may not have the best, but you can make your best out of the it.

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 7:33 pm

Don't forget, it is possible to get turned down even when you are perfectly suitable - simple mathematics......wrote Plavt

I agree with the above statement by the forum moderator. So don't be discouraged. Try again in August! :D

renn
Regular
Regular

Post by renn » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 7:36 pm

my fifth time trying, today 1st round got booted out. so sad!
my group all 5 malays got in. think they are really looking for malays.

Karyne, are we in the same group. i went abt 12+. cant remember my group number, should be 43,44, or 45.