Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 3:18 pm

hey M

thanks for correcting me! im still in the progress of wanting to know more about this job as well... arigato!

well kiity, i think it'll do you a lot good if you just take the effort to read back on the pages in this thread. don't have to start from page 1, because these are repeated questions asked by many so it'll be present in the more recent pages as well.

you'll find out more than you've asked and it'll help you in considering for this job as FSS. i'm also trying to learn more about this job myself, but you really have to take the initiative to read up.

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 3:28 pm

whitepetals wrote:hey M

thanks for correcting me! im still in the progress of wanting to know more about this job as well... arigato!

well kiity, i think it'll do you a lot good if you just take the effort to read back on the pages in this thread. don't have to start from page 1, because these are repeated questions asked by many so it'll be present in the more recent pages as well.

you'll find out more than you've asked and it'll help you in considering for this job as FSS. i'm also trying to learn more about this job myself, but you really have to take the initiative to read up.
Hey petals, I've merely added some more points to what you have contributed so need not thank me. :)

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 3:30 pm

kiity wrote:May I know how many rounds of interviews do you have to go thru' before you can start the trainings?
And do you have to pay for the trainings?
Thanks again :)
Please follow petal's advice in pursuit of your desire. :)

shumito

Working Conditions of SIA air stewardess

Post by shumito » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:09 pm

Thank you whitepetals and M for your comprehensive replies. It has helped me to understand better about the working conditions. But I am still very apprehensive about this job because I have read in previous posts that the air stewardess eat shit in the hotels, cry in the toilet (think she got bullied), fake smiles etc. It seems to be a very unhealthy environment to work in in terms of human relationships and personal health.

Let me clarify, during their stay overseas, they usually live in hotels which are rated 4* and above. So that means they sometimes do stay in dirty hotels? Are the conditions of the 4* hotels good? Are the toilets clean?

And if meals are not provided, won't you be losing money rather than earning money?

Some posts even mentioned that the take-home pay is only around $1K. Is it true?

How often do you fly per month?

Thank you in advance.

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Working Conditions of SIA air stewardess

Post by whitepetals » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:26 am

shumito wrote:Thank you whitepetals and M for your comprehensive replies. It has helped me to understand better about the working conditions. But I am still very apprehensive about this job because I have read in previous posts that the air stewardess eat shit in the hotels, cry in the toilet (think she got bullied), fake smiles etc. It seems to be a very unhealthy environment to work in in terms of human relationships and personal health.

Let me clarify, during their stay overseas, they usually live in hotels which are rated 4* and above. So that means they sometimes do stay in dirty hotels? Are the conditions of the 4* hotels good? Are the toilets clean?

And if meals are not provided, won't you be losing money rather than earning money?

Some posts even mentioned that the take-home pay is only around $1K. Is it true?

Thank you in advance.
1. what do you mean by dirty hotels? i do not know about this because i havent heard of it but from what i heard from my crew friends the lowest they will go is only 3*... but its also not too bad. also, if it's a 4* hotel, it should be of certain standards to achieve that 4 star right? So what do you think of the toilet?

2. Their salaries are divided into 2 parts. basic pay and allowance. so the allowance is for you to use when you're overseas, to eat and stuff. but some people want to save this amount up and choose to bring their own cup noodles, canned food and etc. nothing wrong with that if they're fine with it!

3. are you talking about SIA? if you see the website, it says amounting to $3500 monthly. 1000+ i believe is only for the budget airlines which does mostly turnarounds, because you do not need to stopover hence you don't incur allowance. so the company doesn't need to give you that much of an allowance compared to international carriers like SIA.

4. how often do you fly per month depends on which airline you're working for. but for SIA, your schedule would be pretty well utilized so you won't have too many days of idling on land.

well, regarding you feeling apprenhensive about flying as a career, i used to feel that way a little, but only the strongest survive ya? if i want this job so badly i'll accept whatever that comes along with it. i believe if anyone gets zapped by their seniors they must have done something wrong, it might not be a huge mistake but on a significant carrier like SIA, service is of utmost importance and the crew cannot afford to go wrong. so getting scolded big time is only natural, especially if your seniors aren't particularly kind... but there are definitely some, and plenty of good seniors in there, just that no one talks about them.

my conclusion is, you have to be strong when in comes to working... take everything as a learning experience and you will find yourself a better and more professional individual. :)

ps: i don't know if you have done so but you should go beyond the forum to know more about the job. the WWW is a good option. :)

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:59 am

whitepetals wrote:
shumito wrote:Thank you whitepetals and M for your comprehensive replies. It has helped me to understand better about the working conditions. But I am still very apprehensive about this job because I have read in previous posts that the air stewardess eat shit in the hotels, cry in the toilet (think she got bullied), fake smiles etc. It seems to be a very unhealthy environment to work in in terms of human relationships and personal health.

Thank you in advance.
1. what do you mean by dirty hotels? i do not know about this because i havent heard of it but from what i heard from my crew friends the lowest they will go is only 3*... but its also not too bad. also, if it's a 4* hotel, it should be of certain standards to achieve that 4 star right? So what do you think of the toilet?

Sheraton? Hilton? Millennium? These are the few major ones we are staying in over the world. :)

2. Their salaries are divided into 2 parts. basic pay and allowance. so the allowance is for you to use when you're overseas, to eat and stuff. but some people want to save this amount up and choose to bring their own cup noodles, canned food and etc. nothing wrong with that if they're fine with it!

Basically, your meals are paid for at overseas as the bulk of your allowances come from the overseas meals allowances. As what petal has mentioned, you make your own decision in whether you choose to have gourmet food or little pretty chunkies from cans. :)

3. are you talking about SIA? if you see the website, it says amounting to $3500 monthly. 1000+ i believe is only for the budget airlines which does mostly turnarounds, because you do not need to stopover hence you don't incur allowance. so the company doesn't need to give you that much of an allowance compared to international carriers like SIA.

$1000+? Are you referring to AIC? Even TG pays around $1500-$2000 if I'm not mistaken?

4. how often do you fly per month depends on which airline you're working for. but for SIA, your schedule would be pretty well utilized so you won't have too many days of idling on land.

As mentioned, it depends on your roster. Some girls choose to give away long flights for regional ones and some choose to give away off days for flights. It all depends on what you want but basically, you get at least one long flight per month. :)

well, regarding you feeling apprenhensive about flying as a career, i used to feel that way a little, but only the strongest survive ya? if i want this job so badly i'll accept whatever that comes along with it. i believe if anyone gets zapped by their seniors they must have done something wrong, it might not be a huge mistake but on a significant carrier like SIA, service is of utmost importance and the crew cannot afford to go wrong. so getting scolded big time is only natural, especially if your seniors aren't particularly kind... but there are definitely some, and plenty of good seniors in there, just that no one talks about them.

my conclusion is, you have to be strong when in comes to working... take everything as a learning experience and you will find yourself a better and more professional individual. :)

It seems that you're pretty skeptical about the job and probably it doesn't suit you at all. :) Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get? Ha! :)

ps: i don't know if you have done so but you should go beyond the forum to know more about the job. the WWW is a good option. :)

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:11 am

hey m

haha it seems like im writing essays and you're the teacher correcting my work in red... haha! :oops:

anyway how long have you been flying?

shumito

Working Conditions of SIA air stewardess

Post by shumito » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:14 am

Thank you so much M and whitepetals. I really appreciate it. :)

M, you're right. I am very skeptical about this job after hearing so many negative comments about it. Very worried actually. But you and whitepetals have put me in the right perspective. Perhaps I am not suitable for this job...

Whitepetals, I'll take your advice and look beyond the forum.

Thank you once again.

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:33 am

no problem, it's always good to check up on the job that you might be interested in before jumping into it.

take care friend! :)

shumito

Working conditions of SIA air stewardess

Post by shumito » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:11 pm

Thank you whitepetals. :D

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 3:02 pm

whitepetals wrote:hey m

haha it seems like im writing essays and you're the teacher correcting my work in red... haha! :oops:

anyway how long have you been flying?
Haha, didn't mean that. :^o I've been flying for a year plus only. :devil:

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 3:06 pm

shumito wrote:Thank you so much M and whitepetals. I really appreciate it. :)

M, you're right. I am very skeptical about this job after hearing so many negative comments about it. Very worried actually. But you and whitepetals have put me in the right perspective. Perhaps I am not suitable for this job...

Whitepetals, I'll take your advice and look beyond the forum.

Thank you once again.
Hope you will make the right decision in due course. :cool:

Estellaa

No straight teeth

Post by Estellaa » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 1:35 am

Is it a must to have nice teeth being a FA?
"If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life."-- Oscar Wilde

shaky

Post by shaky » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:54 am

Good Luck to everyone going for the interview tomorrow!!!
the grass is greener on the other side.

fuschial

Post by fuschial » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:45 am

shaky wrote:Good Luck to everyone going for the interview tomorrow!!!
Hey all,

I used to occassionally read the forum. Tried in April this year, but have not tried in the subsequent rounds til tomorrow!

One thing I've realised. They do 'under the table' discrimination against people who are either, married, divorced, or have kids, even at the young age of 23. None of the people I know, who fit those categories have gotten in, despite them having met all the required standards + customer related experience. I feel that this isn't fair. I mean who's to judge whether you are competent or have the passion for the job, if you are married, divorced or have a kid?

I myself, fit one of those categories and so far, the 6 times i've tried, I never got pass the first round. One of my friends was thinking of blissfully omitting the fact that she has a child and see if she gets through. If she does, then we all know that 'under the table' discrimination is at play here.

I myself have never encountered those 2 ladies in previous posts who have outwardly snubbed and discriminated applicants for the job. If that is true, then I hope I won't get them.

Anyway, good luck to all going tomorrow! All the best!