Singapore Expats

Is the approval letter enough to enter singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
tomrs

Is the approval letter enough to enter singapore

Post by tomrs » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 9:53 am

Is the approval letter is enough to enter singapore.
Last edited by tomrs on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 5:39 pm

Depend on what type of pass you are coming in on. If it's an EP, the IPA is sufficient.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 9:03 am

You've left a lot of unanswered questions in your multiple posts. You say that you are the owner of the company that is trying to get you an EP. Did you create a private limited, a partnership, or a sole proprietorship? And, what steps did you take to have a Singaporean, PR, or EP to help set up the company.

If I read all of your posts correctly, you are attempting to form a company, then have it make a request to MOM for an EP so that you can come in. Maybe you will get lucky but I think this will backfire on you.

There is the small matter of the Entrepass. This is the official manner in which the Singaporean government allows new business ventures. It requires a business plan.

http://singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic38927.html

Although there have been several posters in this forum that have stated that all you have to do is create a company then file for your own EP, I find this hard to believe for it makes a mockery of the entire Entrepass scheme, and although others have 'heard' of it, I know of no one who has actually done it.

From MOM's website: "The applicant must be sponsored by a well-established Singapore-registered company, normally the applicant's employer." So, you tell me how a brand new company qualifies.

Cheers.

tomrs

Post by tomrs » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:31 am

There are various factors
Last edited by tomrs on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:28 pm

tomrs wrote:It all depends on the applicant. If you are a well qualified individual the easiest way is to form a company and then apply for EP. There are various factors so you have to do a self analysis before choosing the method.

Not everyone will get the approval if they go by this route( forming a company).
So... have you been approved??

I'll say it again. Allowing this to happen makes a mockery of the Entrepass scheme. How will they know if you are well qualified except via a business plan?

Thus, I ask: Have you been approved for your EP?

Cheers.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 1:13 pm

I gave him the short answer as he stated he has an approval letter (IPA). I don't think he's quite telling us everything as he may well own the company as the shareholder but he may not be the MD at this point in time (Could be his wife's company if she is local/PR). That would work.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tomrs

Post by tomrs » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 1:16 pm

yes
Last edited by tomrs on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tomrs

Post by tomrs » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 1:31 pm

yes
Last edited by tomrs on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 1:32 pm

tomrs wrote:Your thinking is very narrow and don't think in one angle.
Business plan can be written by anyone and it doesn't have to necessarily mean it reflects your ideas completely. Many people will hire a business plan writer and mom will not approve if you have a good business plan alone it has various criteria to approve a entrepass/EP. If you have a good business plan doesn't prove you will be doing everything as per the business plan. To my knowledge a person's qualification is more important than a business plan.

Mom has some strict rules and regulations so it will not approve any application just like that. It will consider various factors before approving it doesn't matter if it is a entrepass/employment pass and even it will do some background check on you before approving.
Yah... OK - but - have you got your AIP letter already?

tomrs

Post by tomrs » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 1:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I gave him the short answer as he stated he has an approval letter (IPA). I don't think he's quite telling us everything as he may well own the company as the shareholder but he may not be the MD at this point in time (Could be his wife's company if she is local/PR). That would work.
One thing you must remember if you choose this method you cannot be the MD because as per singapore law one director must be a local director though you can own all the shares.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 3:54 pm

It's like trying to ask a Politician a simple question!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 4:38 pm

tomrs wrote:Remember for every employment pass we are depositing 3000 SGD.

Have you ever wondered where this deposit goes?

If you are submitting a entrepass application you don't have to deposit the 3000 SGD and this makes sense don't you think.

If you have formed a company you would have paid the fees/tax and this goes to the Gov. Whereas if you apply for a entrepass there is no guarantee you will be forming a company.

Generally speaking no one will waste their time and money and forming a company will show that you are serious.

You have to think all the factors and don't be so narrow.
You don't seem to have a very clear understanding of the process.

The Entrepass is just like an EP as far as its issuance is concerned. EITHER a $3,000 bond/cash payment must be put up OR a guarantee of repatriation is signed by a company acceptable to the Singapore government. Note that you can put the money with a bank or bonding agent and get a letter of guarantee. The Singapore government doesn't see any of it.

Actually, I just took a look at the manual EP applications form. It is exactly the opposite of what you say. MOM no longer makes reference to a $3,000 guarantee (see page 8) for an EP. Interesting.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/etc/media ... _Form8.pdf

OTOH, the Entrepass still allows for a local sponsor and/or a $3,000 bond (see page 6)

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/etc/media ... rePass.pdf

So... you are depositing $3,000 when MOM no longer requires it?

It costs about $75 to form a company in Singapore, takes under an hour and you can do it online. It is sooo easy and cheap you would have to be out of your mind NOT to form a company if your Entrepass is approved. You must have formed your company no earlier than 6 months before and must do so by 3 months after the date of approval.

You keep telling me "don't be so narrow", yet it seems clear you don't actually understand how things work yourself. You confuse a repatriation bond payment with fees to form a company. You don't know that both an employment pass (EP) and an Entrepass are treated exactly the same by the government, once issued.

Anyway, you still haven't answered my question.

Have you got your AIP letter already?

I bet you have not, and are blowing smoke out yer arse.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 6:02 pm

tomrs wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I gave him the short answer as he stated he has an approval letter (IPA). I don't think he's quite telling us everything as he may well own the company as the shareholder but he may not be the MD at this point in time (Could be his wife's company if she is local/PR). That would work.
One thing you must remember if you choose this method you cannot be the MD because as per singapore law one director must be a local director though you can own all the shares.
He reads the posts here like he apparently read the MOM website and applications forms.

And I notice he still has not answered SE........ :roll:

tomrs

Post by tomrs » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:24 pm

May be I was wrong about the banker's deposit but consider other factors.

One thing is very clear that you have taken the Entrepass route and had worked hard on your business plan and so you started thinking that Entrepass is the correct route. one thing I can say don't show your grievance against EP becoz those who follow the EP route doesn't necessarily mean they are inferior to you. It is not like that entrepass/EP are two different things and you cannot compare both.

If you are doing a business for more than 2 years in your own country and if you like to start it in singapore you can try Entrepass. If you are a individual and would like to start a new business in Singapore then Employment pass is the best option. My opinion is general and don't even underestimate Singapore gov. The people who work for mom are smarter than you and they would have seen thousands and thousands of application and they do know which is real and which is fake. No matter if it is EP/entrepass mom has qualified officers and they know how to approve a application.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:53 pm

tomrs wrote:May be I was wrong about the banker's deposit but consider other factors.

One thing is very clear that you have taken the Entrepass route and had worked hard on your business plan and so you started thinking that Entrepass is the correct route. one thing I can say don't show your grievance against EP becoz those who follow the EP route doesn't necessarily mean they are inferior to you. It is not like that entrepass/EP are two different things and you cannot compare both.

If you are doing a business for more than 2 years in your own country and if you like to start it in singapore you can try Entrepass. If you are a individual and would like to start a new business in Singapore then Employment pass is the best option. My opinion is general and don't even underestimate Singapore gov. The people who work for mom are smarter than you and they would have seen thousands and thousands of application and they do know which is real and which is fake. No matter if it is EP/entrepass mom has qualified officers and they know how to approve a application.
Bud... do you have your AIP or not?

You are just making things up. MOM is not smarter than me. They follow regulations. They are some of the best and brightest that Singapore has to offer. They have criteria to evaluate. They have an escalation process. They are thoroughly professional. My application was approved. Yours? I'll simply ask again... given all your words....

Do you have your AIP letter?