Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
streets
Regular
Regular

Post by streets » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:25 pm

Hmm. I've just started flying recently and honestly, every one would more or less have a rough start. It all comes down to experience, whilst handling pax and colleagues, for that matter. The crew I've met so far are generally nice, and think about it, who in the right mind would wanna 'zap' you if you know your work? You might hear stories and seniors who are potential 'zappers', so think about it, you're not the only one who gets it from him/her. The key point is, don't take things too personally, as working 35,000ft up in the high is really stressful.
Plus, it all boils down to how you say it, not what you say. Just be really humble and this job is really not as tough as you think.

And..where's all the 'passion for service', 'enjoy meeting new people' go? Just have the right attitude, enjoy what you're doing. Then the smile will come naturally to you.

Tres Bien Merci

Post by Tres Bien Merci » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:26 pm

I believe that blood is ticker than water. If this thing is not apply to you, at least you have your love one. BF or GF?

When you are totally alone at unfamiliar places and environments. You will feel helpless.

I agree that there is no perfect job in this world but if we can find something better, why not?

There are a lot of fishes in the ocean.

On top of that, i guess not only Indonesian who felt that the working environment is bad. Some people from others countries also have a same feeling probably they are just not so direct.

Of course i agree that fake smile is ok since they are accepting the salary for that fake smile but the problem is everyone can see there is no sincerity form that smile. This is just a comment not offensive kind of thing.

Furthermore, they choose passenger. Which one that they need to be friendly with and receive their fake smile. Not every passengers receive same standard of services.

I agree there is no point to discuss this thing. Now it is up to all of you to decide what you want and what is the best for you. :D

With sincerity, i wish good luck to all of you for the next interview. :D :D

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 3:55 pm

If the working environment is so bad, then why do so many girls want to become air stewardesses? Even graduates?

Because the pay is very good.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 4:53 pm

streets wrote:Hmm. I've just started flying recently and honestly, every one would more or less have a rough start.
That is what is being overlooked here; there are flight attendants who are happy with their job and are still flying after years of service. Getting used to job like anything else takes time; when you are new you are inexperienced. Give something time and you learn how to deal with it and no longer is a problem. Compare when you learn to drive: did you get in and drive smoothly first time? No, of course not and then after a few lessons you get better and wonder why you couldn't do it right first time. Doing a task whether studying or working requires practice and in getting practice you acquire experience. Rome wasn't built in a day. :wink:

dreamzz19
Regular
Regular

Post by dreamzz19 » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 5:13 pm

Plavt wrote:
streets wrote:Hmm. I've just started flying recently and honestly, every one would more or less have a rough start.
That is what is being overlooked here; there are flight attendants who are happy with their job and are still flying after years of service. Getting used to job like anything else takes time; when you are new you are inexperienced. Give something time and you learn how to deal with it and no longer is a problem. Compare when you learn to drive: did you get in and drive smoothly first time? No, of course not and then after a few lessons you get better and wonder why you couldn't do it right first time. Doing a task whether studying or working requires practice and in getting practice you acquire experience. Rome wasn't built in a day. :wink:
well said. hehe.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:36 pm

absoo.faboo wrote: I think it's the time for SIA management to conduct and review their employees working field. It's not healthy at all, full of crap - that wat my friend said :roll:
This has been around since Day one when the Airline was form, it was many many time worst of then now. The Airline achieve the #1 position by working this way. Now, things are alot easier, the management had tried to put a stop to this dreadful practice, but look at the standard of the Airline now...its no longer at the high standard of the past. Lets face the fact, it your boss is fierce and mean you will work and give your 110%. If he is slack and buddy buddy with you, you will start to take advantage of the situation and give just a 50% of work. The people now are very well sheltered, as you can see in the Army and the Airline, a little bit of hardship and they will fall like trees or complain till the cow comes home. A mixture of both type of leadership is needed to strike the right balance. There are some very senior or not so senior crew still leaving in the past, of course there are ways to deal with them, thats where you will have to learn and play the game. Even trainee in the training center is playing the who is more senior game, so is a human nature or the crew culture? Think about it. This job is not suitable for everyone, if you belong to the weak and cannot work under pressure group then you will not enjoy this job. If you are the ambitious and think that you can achieve big things in life group, you better try your luck somewhere else too as there is nothing much for you to prove working as a cabin crew. :roll:

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:47 pm

I agreed to 100% what Plavt said, it applies to everything in life. We don't even give a thought now whenever we take a step but just look at a baby when he tries to take the first few steps. The baby doesn't give up and he eventually will learn how to walk untiled it comes as a second nature to him. There are so many crew that has been work in there for 30++years. 10years is nothing in cabin crew. Yup only the fittest survive, if you can survive in cabin crew you can survive working anywhere. If you think that its tough in there then I wish you all the best when you get your next job.

llentimes
Regular
Regular

Post by llentimes » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:57 pm

=D>
"Whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, beliving , ye shall receive" Mathew 21:22

stripes

Post by stripes » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:53 pm

Totally agreed with the above despite different airlines, the culture is more or less the same.

It still comes to the conclusion on how much you like this job & getting used to the environment. I'm from a different airline co but still trying for SQ time & time again cos I know what I want.

No matter how bad the crews or flight, it'll always be a pleasant one after "Welcome, Sorry & Thank you" & not to take it too personally. After all, certain people just need more "attention". :)

nafnaf

Post by nafnaf » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:17 am

Besides the politics involved in this job I personally feel that the interviewers are mostly young,inexperienced and very unprofessional. There are these 2 young ladies who are present at every recruitment these days and they seem to go for those they like rather then those who can speak and present themselves well and another thing I noticed about them would be that once you have gotten them as your interviewer and if you happen to get them again in the next recruitment they won't even bother look at you when you are introducing yourself what's worst is there was once these 2 ladies were put in the same round 1 interview room and those they found familiar they will immediately look at each other and give a kind of look as though signalling to each other "oh its her again!" and at the end of the interview when everyone is making their way out of the room they will burst out into laughter. I find them extremely unprofessional what's more they are working for a big company like SIA and doing recruitment for the company no less! No wonder the turnover rate is so high because interviewers like them go for those that they like instead of the ones who truly have the passion for this job. SIA management should seriously consider getting more experienced interviewers to conduct the interviews and select the ones who are truly passionate about the job and will stay on long. Plus shouldn't the ones who never give up trying for this job be more worthy of this job :???: By the way its not only me who feel the same about these 2 interviewers, I have friends who have gotten them before and feel the same way and I even met gals during the interviews praying hard that they wont get these 2 ladies.....

stripes

Post by stripes » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:20 am

nafnaf wrote:Besides the politics involved in this job I personally feel that the interviewers are mostly young,inexperienced and very unprofessional. There are these 2 young ladies who are present at every recruitment these days and they seem to go for those they like rather then those who can speak and present themselves well and another thing I noticed about them would be that once you have gotten them as your interviewer and if you happen to get them again in the next recruitment they won't even bother look at you when you are introducing yourself what's worst is there was once these 2 ladies were put in the same round 1 interview room and those they found familiar they will immediately look at each other and give a kind of look as though signalling to each other "oh its her again!" and at the end of the interview when everyone is making their way out of the room they will burst out into laughter. I find them extremely unprofessional what's more they are working for a big company like SIA and doing recruitment for the company no less! No wonder the turnover rate is so high because interviewers like them go for those that they like instead of the ones who truly have the passion for this job. SIA management should seriously consider getting more experienced interviewers to conduct the interviews and select the ones who are truly passionate about the job and will stay on long. Plus shouldn't the ones who never give up trying for this job be more worthy of this job :???: By the way its not only me who feel the same about these 2 interviewers, I have friends who have gotten them before and feel the same way and I even met gals during the interviews praying hard that they wont get these 2 ladies.....
:lol: I'm one of them. The moment I see these 2 ladies, I'll tell myself, I gonna waste my time again & wait for the next month.

nafnaf

Post by nafnaf » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:32 am

same here!! whenever i see their faces I will tell myself its a waste of my time,money and effort again. Both of them has got shoulder length hair and one got a mole on her face am I right? I'm so disappointed because people like us who really need and want the job are deprieved of a chance because of people like them :(

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:40 am

nafnaf wrote:Besides the politics involved in this job I personally feel that the interviewers are mostly young,inexperienced and very unprofessional.
I can't be 100% certiain but I think you will find the interviewers are all graduates and are experienced, or at least that would seem to be the case by vacancy advertisements on the few occassions they appear.
There are these 2 young ladies who are present at every recruitment these days and they seem to go for those they like
I doubt it, interviewers or not the applicants have to meet a set of criteria set by the airline and not just be subject to the whims and wishes of interviewers who likely have to answer to somebody else.
won't even bother look at you when you are introducing yourself what's worst is there was once these 2 ladies were put in the same round 1 interview room and those they found familiar they will immediately look at each other and give a kind of look as though signalling to each other "oh its her again!"
Such things are possible but the trouble is there is always that element who are unrealistic with themselves and are just unable to accept that not only are they unsuitable, they will never be accepted.

The interviewers have nothing to do with the turnover rate, that is the decision of the people who take the job. As you may or not realize from some of the posts here it is not everybody's 'cup of tea.' One has to think long and hard about taking this job unfortunately too many don't. :(

snowss
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowss » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 4:30 pm

nafnaf wrote:same here!! whenever i see their faces I will tell myself its a waste of my time,money and effort again. Both of them has got shoulder length hair and one got a mole on her face am I right? I'm so disappointed because people like us who really need and want the job are deprieved of a chance because of people like them :(
Oh....so far for the interviews tat I have been to, I have only seen them once. Which was on the 2 July at STC....

U mean they were present at Sheraton as well??

I was quite surprised to see the interviewers so young...and I heard tat they are current cabin crews or ex-cabin crews :?
(=^_^=)

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 8:17 pm

i got the 2 of them too.. and im like "man i don't feel too good about this"..

experienced or not i do not know... but its really subjective i guess. we should do some self reflection too.

but i do pray to get older interviewers too.. there's this thing that comes along with age, and that's invaluable experience. :)