Singapore Expats

Johor Bahru: Is it worth going for a couple of days?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
jezzman
Regular
Regular

Johor Bahru: Is it worth going for a couple of days?

Post by jezzman » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 3:50 pm

I've never been to Johor Bahru and was wondering whether it's worth going there, staying one night in the Hyatt (70 US$) and going out partying?

Just to try something differnet from Singapore?
Me, fail English?
But nooo, that's unpossible....

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:07 pm

hey... in a word, NO. call me!

serengeti

Post by serengeti » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 1:20 pm

NO! Don't waste your time... And it's not safe...

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Johor

Post by joop » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 2:13 pm

It's the State in Malaysia with the highest crime rate. Unless it's urgent matters you need to attend to, otherwise, do avoid travelling there.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

jezzman
Regular
Regular

Post by jezzman » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks a lot guys. Thank god for this forum :)
Me, fail English?
But nooo, that's unpossible....

ancientmoon

Post by ancientmoon » Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:52 am

Suggest u go Melaka , there are more interesting place and safer

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Post by Petales Soufflez! » Thu, 31 Jul 2008 9:21 pm

When I was a kid I used to take the train with my maternal grandpa to JB for the day. To buy fresh crabs in a wet market there (from what I can still remember). In my teens, with my mom, we would also go there once in a blue moon to do some shopping and eat some Malaysian delicacies.

Last year, we made a 3N trip to Desaru. The sea was very choppy and the 4-star hotel looked great on paper but as usual with many things in Malaysia, in reality things tend to break down, hygiene was an issue, the F&B at the hotel was boring and expensive...but the staff was friendly and the massage was reasonably priced.

From what I could see, the safety issue seems to have amplified for some reason in recent times. Is JB more dangerous than before, are we more conscious then ever of our safety, or are we getting more paranoid?

Other than that, I agree that Melaka would be a more interesting option. For the Portuguese fort, Peranakan heritage, the delicious dodoh...The travelling time is now shorter than in my time and they have come up with resorts near the beach etc.

I also rather like Genting or Cameron Highlands for a short break - if only just for the cooler climes. If you want to party, fly to KL. Heard it's good.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

phella

Post by phella » Sat, 02 Aug 2008 4:57 pm

I've done this many times without incident. The local papers hype up the crime rate due to a very long rivalry the two nations had since the 60s. It's not that bad really. There's good night life, cheap food and shopping...

moderndaybarbie

Time out

Post by moderndaybarbie » Mon, 04 Aug 2008 4:34 pm

I would go for Puteri Pan Pacific. Nice ambience with great range of buffet. I am not too familiar with their nightlife, but I do agree, partying is better in Malacca! And most of the locals speaks English. Note, cabs in Malacca arent like Singapore. I noticed people drive there and cabs are visible only on weekends. Well u can opt for Trishaw rides:)