Singapore Expats

Need advice for area to live in (in early 20s)

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
frenzal
Regular
Regular

Need advice for area to live in (in early 20s)

Post by frenzal » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 9:00 am

I have researched this quite a bit, but it is difficult to find out actual travel times between areas; so far my search has been limited to looking up an MRT map and focusing on those suburbs.

Work location: a few mins walk from Novena MRT
Max travel time: 25 mins (no taxis as I wish to save money)
I would prefer no lengthy transfers. For instance, when I was in Singapore last, I found the Dhoby Ghaut station to be a nightmare to transfer through, as you had to walk for 5 mins between train lines and the train was cramped.
Budget: $1,000 for a master room with attached bathroom. $1,500 for a studio room or really awesome master room

Which particular areas should I be looking at? I would like food shopping (i.e. supermarket) to be close by and transport to be convenient. I'm happy eating local food as opposed to western food

Search By

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 9:12 am

around novena MRT?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 9:34 am

Anywhere between Novena MRT and Yio Chu Kang MRT in And Mo Kio will put you there within your time frame. If you are looking for and HDB sublet you will almost certainly find something along that route without having to change trains. I would also included Newton but that's too close to the city which means the costs will escalate rapidly. Something around the Bishan MRT would be ideal and with Junction 8 right there it would also serve to gie you plenty of amenities as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

frenzal
Regular
Regular

Post by frenzal » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Anywhere between Novena MRT and Yio Chu Kang MRT in And Mo Kio will put you there within your time frame. If you are looking for and HDB sublet you will almost certainly find something along that route without having to change trains. I would also included Newton but that's too close to the city which means the costs will escalate rapidly. Something around the Bishan MRT would be ideal and with Junction 8 right there it would also serve to gie you plenty of amenities as well.
What about as far as Yishun/Sembawang? The MRT website says that Yishun is only 19 mins away by train

Also, how is the transfer at City Hall. Apparently City Hall to Novena = 10 mins. Could I live at Bugis/Lavender/Tiong Bahru/Tanjong Pajar

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

No way

Post by Asdracles » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:41 am

So close to the city would be much more expensive. Also not too many HDBs in that area.

I would just check into the red area, but as SMS said, going North.

Bishan, Ang Mo Kio has lot of HDBs areas. Don't know about northern Singapore, but I bet that Yishun should be a good option too.

frenzal
Regular
Regular

Post by frenzal » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:29 am

cheers guys :)

vaishnava_janato

Post by vaishnava_janato » Wed, 16 Jul 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Frenzal

Around a year ago I had rented a 4 bedroom apartment at ang mo kia ....very nice neighbourhood. fully furnished near to mrt cost me 1400. then we moved to another place at tiong bahru, almost 5 mins walking distance to mrt, and we are paying 1600 for a 2+1 utility room apartment. Its really a pick. If you can travel Yishun or Yo Chu Kang, Serangoon North shouldnt be a problem, as it is an extension through ang mo kio. Our place at Serangoon was just 2 bus stops away, but we preferred to walk the 10 min distance, in th evening as part of our exercise. As Asdracles suggests Bishan is something you should look at and part of Toa Payoh, which borders with Bishan.

frenzal
Regular
Regular

Post by frenzal » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 3:42 pm

vaishnava_janato wrote:Hi Frenzal

Around a year ago I had rented a 4 bedroom apartment at ang mo kia ....very nice neighbourhood. fully furnished near to mrt cost me 1400. then we moved to another place at tiong bahru, almost 5 mins walking distance to mrt, and we are paying 1600 for a 2+1 utility room apartment. Its really a pick. If you can travel Yishun or Yo Chu Kang, Serangoon North shouldnt be a problem, as it is an extension through ang mo kio. Our place at Serangoon was just 2 bus stops away, but we preferred to walk the 10 min distance, in th evening as part of our exercise. As Asdracles suggests Bishan is something you should look at and part of Toa Payoh, which borders with Bishan.
Thanks for the advice. Although your quoted prices make me very envious :p It costs about $1,400 to get a master bedroom in ang mo kio these days!