Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 8:00 pm

Ode wrote:As a reply to seirra's post, correct me if i'm wrong but I thnk alot of gals want to join SIA cabin crew is cos of the gd pay + bonus & ability to travel. & nt to mention u must hv certain standards of beauty & height to get selected. I thnk tt the job of a pilot or those in aviation techs r tougher compared to the spore gal. Besides hving relevant education qualifications 1 oso needs to hv gd body physique & b of gd health condition. Thnk the air craft cant afford to hv their pilots, engineers & technicians hving headaches & poor vision. That is y THOUSANDS of gals out there r DYING to get into SIA (as long as height >158cm) cos it IS almost the best job in spore w/o a gd degree...
Ode, thanks for that. I'll stand corrected and ensure I won't help people here on this thread again.

I've been in and around aviation for some 20 years. Longer than most of you are old!! Please respect that all I am trying to do is make you prepare a little better than "what shoes to wear".

If you are so proud of SQ, then that is just great - I respect you for your courage and determination and that you take pride in your national carrier. That really is very honourable.

All I am simply trying to point out is that maybe, just maybe, just little little, you need to show SQ that you understand the opportunities you are being given, by showing them that you do research life in aviation.
I'm trying to do is to help you all. Listen, don't listen. I really shouldn't care, but I do, because Singapore is my wife and my new home and we love Singaporeans, Indians, Mexicans, dogs, cattle, cats, snakes (oh my wife hates snakers), etc etc etc...and pretty much every strand of humans on the face of the planet. Apart from ugly rude Aussie people!

Ode, We're just trying to help! JESUS

Please, think outside the shoebox. You'll have to throw them off when you jump down the slides anyway!
Plavt wrote: This alas is a common problem with this thread, it seems when somebody comes here and offers something constructive they are simply ignored and I have the misfortune to be regarded as an ogre (or something similar at times - try reading some of my earlier posts before I became a moderator despite the tag in those posts ).

Oh well those that don't listen, dwell in fantasies get a rude shock in the end. You might care to read some of the posts by singporegrrl, queenie-me and a few other active cabin crew.
Plavt - yes when they understand that that if they are lucky enough they'll get pretty bored with the lack of sleep, not good hotel rooms, and when they really start the circadian rhythm issues, the girls will certainly feel it. My ex girlfriend (married very happilly now) was CC with a major out of AUS - and she took about a year before she went on sickleave just to adjust to circadian sleep issues, bad food, and crappy matronly types.

All, I am just trying to help - I'll buy you a drink if you don't get a positive comment, when at interview "I have heard about CRM and I have looked it up on the internet and I think that's a really positive way of working with my fellow team".

No drinks will be given for people who haven't researched what Crew Resource Management is.

Remember, when you're up there - you're a team. You might not realise it, but when you have major issues the ONLY, ONLY people you can count on is YOUR IMMEDIATE TEAM - your fellow CC, your Tech crew, the engineers on the ground. You may never have even flown with people on the fateful flight - but you ALL depend on each other. I don't care if your the one with no O levels or what - I care about if you can WORK with PEOPLE.

Think about your responses to interview questions - that's all I suggest.

Gang - regardless of if you want to listen to this or not, feel free to PM me.

Cheers/P (capt. retired)

momopeach

Post by momopeach » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:21 pm

sierra.. welcome to singapore... where 1/2 of the population of bimbotic girls loom in forums hoping that by becoming Miss Universe material will ensure them of clinching their dream job. Why even bother to advocate these nubile young girls about getting the right attitude for an interview? Save your breath for a more appreciative audience elsewhere..

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:29 pm

'S2469A'

Don't bother giving advice to Singaporeans.They are the most bigoted narrow-minded people you can hope to meet.And they can't see beyond their front noses.Or beyond the latest LV,Prada bag whatever.

All this is a result of their conditioning.They charge out of their 3 room HDB flats thinking they are the centre of the world.

'Ode' said SQ pay is good -Huh! Grow up and look around if you dare!!
Do you know what 'Ala Squat' means?? They pay is sooo bad they eat Maggie mee all the time!! They don't realise it but one day they will be replaced by cheap FT labour, infact it's already hapenning in all sectors in Singapore.

Your well meaning advice is very useful but alas: they have no idea what you are talking about! Don't worry I can bitch on my own kind..

christineyuki

Post by christineyuki » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 1:02 am

[quote="Blade"]'S2469A'

Don't bother giving advice to Singaporeans.They are the most bigoted narrow-minded people you can hope to meet.And they can't see beyond their front noses.Or beyond the latest LV,Prada bag whatever.

i find that pretty offensive :)
一緒に青い空へ~

akiheartfelt
Regular
Regular

Post by akiheartfelt » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 2:31 am

Blade wrote:'S2469A'

Don't bother giving advice to Singaporeans.They are the most bigoted narrow-minded people you can hope to meet.And they can't see beyond their front noses.
I assume you meant including the sq interviewers lol............

Just kidding. I think, just a THOUGHT, that girls worry about what shoes to wear or whatever skin colouring, it's because 80% of them don't even get to open their mouths to show others how much of 'aviation' they know about, before they get booted out. We all know how the first 2 rounds go. 1st self intro then boom 7 people are out. If you're lucky you get the chance to let them scrutinize your body in the kebaya then your face under the glaring spotlights. Then they pick 2 people. So if you're a little more than paranoid, you might actually start to think about skin colour.

Then another hearsay is, as long as you passed the superficial rounds, you have 80% chance of passing the rest of the rounds where you actually get to show off how much you know about the job.

So what kinda girls are they really looking for? Just a thought, i'm not trying to imply anything :wink:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 4:33 am

akiheartfelt wrote: it's because 80% of them don't even get to open their mouths to show others how much of 'aviation' they know about, before they get booted out.
:lol:
So what kinda girls are they really looking for? Just a thought, i'm not trying to imply anything :wink:
That's what isn't being considered by so many; a job amongst people traveling across International boundaries at all hours with so many cultures, languages, climates and even religions amongst other factors to be considered requires character who can deal with such situations.

redhead

Post by redhead » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:54 am

hi i am new in this forum. I'm having problems now can anybody enlighten me.

I already accepted the airline's invitation for me to have training. I have already gone through less than a week of training but then been planning not to pursue at all. my reason is that i am going back to my country <urgent>, do i have the right to say that i won't be continueing my training as i have paid for it also? won't i be able to get the money i paid them? as for SQ,Tiger Airways,Silk air.. would they make me pay for a certain amount bec i didn't continue having training ? :(

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 4:26 pm

Plavt wrote:...a job amongst people traveling across International boundaries at all hours with so many cultures, languages, climates and even religions amongst other factors to be considered requires character who can deal with such situations.
Very, very accurate and very well written.

chriztopher

Post by chriztopher » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 7:34 pm

I have tried my luck to become SIA crew, however, I was rejected in the final stage. This is kind of dissapointed. However, I'm glad that I'm manage to break through for the CX crew.

I'm not sure whether it is better but one thing for sure, CX selection process is more reasonable than SIA.

Ode

Post by Ode » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:31 pm

Spam
Last edited by Ode on Sat, 08 Aug 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:47 pm

Ode,
Perhaps you go back and read Sierra2469's posts and mine again as it would appear you have comprehended nothing! In any interview an interviewer will look for certain aspects of a persons character, e.g; how easily it is to irk the prospective applicant. A common trait in airline interviews is to deliberately try to provoke an applicant so the interviewer can gauge that person's reactions. The purpose being to assess how well that will cope when actually at work and somebody does the same thing, it happens as I would have hoped you knew. Not only this, why do you think they want to know about convictions and your financial status (the web application form asks whether or not you are in debt or used to)? There are many other aspects of a persons character that count towards being either cabin or technical crew and that is the crux of the matter! I doubt that SIA or any other airline's training is much about character building since one needs character to acquire the job in the first place. Any enhancement to character comes with experience.

Ps: I know you will hate me for this :P but your unwillingness to use correct English, which is very irritating, denotes a lazy character. :P :lol:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:55 pm

Ode wrote:I kinda agree w akiheartfelt's prev post. Dont mean to offend dear site admin Plavt & sierra but w such walk in selection SIA is hving they will attract ladies who dream of flying as a career, nt to mention the status of being an air-stewardress. I'm sorry but I dont see or feel that the image of an SIA gal frm wat i've seen in the papers, at airport & even at the SIA interviews is 1 of character. But i hv seen some pretty gd men w service attitude & a few ladies w class during my 2 tries at the walk in interviews.
The selection criteria of SIA's 1st 2 rnd of interview IS such that it focuses on physical requirements. Height MUST >158. 1 cm short blame it on ur genes. Skin condition must b gd, well groomed, check nails, hair. I dont blame the gals cos they hv to b the abv to get thru the rnds.
Character? Integrity? Safety, respect, consideration? I doubt some pilots hv any oso... So y blame the cabin crew? Perhaps a write in interview can tell more abt a person's character & way of thought but other than that, it wont b easy for the interviewers to tell sometimes. Some of them hv so poor vision (myopia) & foresight & dont like the way they look down on ppl w lower social status, i thnk i'll make a better interviewer...
Is hard to judge character anyway. Sometimes ppl w character are undermined in their jobs in society. But i thnk SIA trning aims to develop character.
Could everyone please excuse me as I am still new to the way of writing on this particular forum, and please excuse if I have not understood what Ode is saying. My apologies in advance.

Ode - sure you make some good points!! And in no way have you offended me!!

What I think needs to be understood is that International Carriers compete against each other for service. Sure, SQ comes up very well in most of the surveys. But SQ needs to compete. I'll fly on Qatar rather than SQ, but my newish home is here in SIN. Why? Better service! I will fly SQ over QF? Why, better service! I'll Fly CX over SQ, why? Better service.

So all I am re-iterating is that people need a bigger picture about being CC. It's long, hard hours. It's not glam. You're pressurised between 5000-8-9000ft depending on the airacraft for hours at a time.

I would dearly love to take your point, Ode, about pilots "have any also" (did I get that right - if not, please correct me!!! :) but the only nasty pilots these days shouldn't be in the job (see my previous post about CRM) or they have some form of political "sway" or "pull".

Most of us (well, in my case, ex) pilots are people who do it for love and passion.

I am going to take you up on the "y blame the cabin crew". Where was I blaming on cabin crew? And think - if you would, why WOULD I blame Cabin crew?

misspianoforte

Post by misspianoforte » Wed, 09 Jul 2008 1:22 am

Plavt wrote:Ode,

Ps: I know you will hate me for this :P but your unwillingness to use correct English, which is very irritating, denotes a lazy character. :P :lol:

That concludes like..... 70 percent of posters in the thread?
Very. Annoying. But hey, who am i to comment. Haha.

akiheartfelt
Regular
Regular

Post by akiheartfelt » Wed, 09 Jul 2008 3:14 am

I do feel that your personality will certainly show itself during the first 2 rounds (provided if you're not too nervous to allow it to shine through). If i have difficulty even in giving a short intro about myself, interviewers will certainly see that they can't put me in front of passengers, lest passengers across international boundaries. I too have failed interviews before and they often result in me finding fault in myself, especially during SQ walk ins when you feel like they are merely judging you on the superficial side. Their marketing ploys and crew image don't help either :? And i seem to have digressed....

Having a knowledge of aviation and what's expected of a cabin crew doesn't only help you pass interviews, it ensures that you truly get what you wished for, and not counting down the days when you finish bond because the job wasn't what you expected to be like in the first place.

catcrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by catcrazy » Wed, 09 Jul 2008 8:28 am

redhead wrote:hi i am new in this forum. I'm having problems now can anybody enlighten me.

I already accepted the airline's invitation for me to have training. I have already gone through less than a week of training but then been planning not to pursue at all. my reason is that i am going back to my country <urgent>, do i have the right to say that i won't be continueing my training as i have paid for it also? won't i be able to get the money i paid them? as for SQ,Tiger Airways,Silk air.. would they make me pay for a certain amount bec i didn't continue having training ? :(
are you training with SIA?no right?
if u r training with a school and u have already paid for it, i think they may have to refund you.

for sia and i think silk air, there is a bond. for sia, if u break the bond w/i 22mths, its a pro-rated 13.2k bond