Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Tres Bien Merci

Post by Tres Bien Merci » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 12:19 pm

I am totally with strong eagle.
If the job really good, people will stay willingly. There is no need for them to bond them.

To be honest, last time i also want to be CC but later part, after hearning all the story from my friends who are CC, i decided not to purse this dream.

There are a lot of job out there that can give you opportunity to fly. Why should you fly by serving people? The life as CC is very tough and you will feel lonely all the time.

Please thinking carefully befor you try to apply for this job again.

For those that keep failing at their interview, dont give up. It is true that all depends on your luck. Some of the interviewer are not even qualify as interviewer. They are also lack of experience so when they choose you is based on their mood. If they like you they will take you if not, no matter how good you are they will never let you pass the round one.

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 1:32 pm

I am totally with strong eagle.
If the job really good, people will stay willingly. There is no need for them to bond them.

To be honest, last time i also want to be CC but later part, after hearning all the story from my friends who are CC, i decided not to purse this dream

The reason they are bonded is because SIA want to make sure it recovers its training cost of the cabin crew. Each crew cost SIA about S$25,000 to fully train him or her. After 22 months of flying, one could resign without having paid back the bond and by then SIA would have recovered it cost.
Reasons crew resign is because they usually want to further their studies as well as get a better job. Many use their experience with SIA as a stepping stone to obtain a better paying job.
I would not dare to say that the cabin crew job is the best in the world nor it suits everyone. So those could be the reasons for people leaving SIA. My 2 cents worth :roll:

p_for_prissy

Post by p_for_prissy » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 2:04 pm

I dun understand if we shld be dressed in business attire..coz i see that some gals did not dressed as appropriately for round 1 yet they got in..sitting posture was not right too..Hw irony!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 2:39 pm

sstan123 wrote:
The reason they are bonded is because SIA want to make sure it recovers its training cost of the cabin crew.
That however doesn't explain why in other jobs where is cost just as much or more that they have no bonding. Apart from leaving to further their studies or get a better a job many find the job too stressful. You see much the same situation in other jobs involving shifts where the experience doesn't get people better jobs and they don't further their studies.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 07 Jul 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 8:56 pm

Just some advice from a Singaporean who has been working for an airline in HK for the last 19 years.I had the chance to join my national airline all those years ago but chose to work overseas.My girlfriend and I started out on the same path together she joined SQ and I the HK airline.After 5 years she quit.She lasted just 5 years! The pay was too low and I pitted her for those days out-port eating maggie mee in the hotel room [towel under the door etc]

If you want to comit to a career in avaition as an CC make sure you get a good deal in terms of renumeration and conditions of service.As an aside there are very few resignations among the Singapore expat crew working here -that says alot about job satisfaction.

There are a lot of airline jobs out there.With the right company it can be a whole life career option all the way to retierment!.

I only have 'O' levels but my job pays me $SGD120K p/a as a Chief Purser.excluding bonus and profit share.When I retire at age 55 I will get a lump sum gratuity payment.

The point I am trying to make is don't limit yourself to just a little pond there is an ocean out there!

misspianoforte

Post by misspianoforte » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 1:05 am

p_for_prissy wrote:I dun understand if we shld be dressed in business attire..coz i see that some gals did not dressed as appropriately for round 1 yet they got in..sitting posture was not right too..Hw irony!
A little brushing up on grammar might help, perhaps?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 2:10 am

misspianoforte wrote:
p_for_prissy wrote:I dun understand if we shld be dressed in business attire..coz i see that some gals did not dressed as appropriately for round 1 yet they got in..sitting posture was not right too..Hw irony!
A little brushing up on grammar might help, perhaps?

=D>

isabelle85

Post by isabelle85 » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 4:13 am

Tres Bien Merci wrote:I am totally with strong eagle.

To be honest, last time i also want to be CC but later part, after hearning all the story from my friends who are CC, i decided not to purse this dream.

There are a lot of job out there that can give you opportunity to fly. Why should you fly by serving people? The life as CC is very tough and you will feel lonely all the time.

Please thinking carefully befor you try to apply for this job again.

For those that keep failing at their interview, dont give up. It is true that all depends on your luck. Some of the interviewer are not even qualify as interviewer. They are also lack of experience so when they choose you is based on their mood. If they like you they will take you if not, no matter how good you are they will never let you pass the round one.
The bond is there cos the company spent quite alot $ to train the CC. The trainers for every aspect are knowledgeable, and a good fit. For certain areas where existing empolyees are not suitable candidates for training, they hire professional external personnel so as to make sure their CC received the best they could.

Many people leave after the bond perhaps cos they have family commitments when they reach 28, which husband will want their wife to be 80% not beside them? The job may not be a good fit for everyone cos I believe it requires independence, alot of discipline, a strong emotional character and yet being humble and willingness to listen to others and improve upon advice.

Lonliness can occur anywhere, anytime, not only when you are a CC. =) And, may I know how you know the interviewers are lack of experience and choose the candidates based on mood or they are not qualified?

Tres Bien Merci

Post by Tres Bien Merci » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 1:53 pm

Hi all,

I am just sharing with all of you what i know from others. No bad intentions.

My two cents worth:

It is the same like other job that they need to spend money on you. We are the liabilities to the company at the moment we join them.

If the job is really good, people will stay willingly they will not leave the company.

Experience staff can be seen from the age and how they are handle the interviewee. Some people has tried this job so many times but they didnt get it on their first attempt. However after ten or twenty times they get selected.

If they are really experience and know what they are interviewing, they should see the poeple based on what kind of personality they are . Not soley based on how many times they are trying to get this job.

As a cabin crew we need to have essential criteria because we are talking about people safety.

Some people just trying they luck to get this job and some of them do not have the essential criteria to be CC but they got selected. At the end, they breach their contract. I know some people who did this way.

Some people they cant wait to leave the job since this is not their passion but during the interview, they can just convince interviewer this is their passion. The passion to serve people.

As CC we will feel more lonely since we are far from family and love one. Other job, perhaps we will fell lonely but at least family and love one still around us to give us courage. This is more than enough.

I didnt discourage all of you but it is really a tough job. Think carefully before you are applying for this job.

I am just sharing with you the life as CC. Please dont see on the fun part such as travel around the world, glamourous life style and etc but you also need to think the down side of this job.

dreamzz19
Regular
Regular

Post by dreamzz19 » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 2:13 pm

anyone know what number to call to know about med results??

or wad is the number tt we will be hearing from sia??

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 6:18 pm

The new pilots are under bond too. Does that mean the job of a pilot is bad? Think for a moment

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 6:30 pm

sstan123 wrote:The new pilots are under bond too. Does that mean the job of a pilot is bad? Think for a moment

I have met pilots who are unhappy with their job therefore it is possible the job of the pilot can be bad, all depends on the circumstances of individuals.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 6:51 pm

Plavt wrote:
sstan123 wrote:The new pilots are under bond too. Does that mean the job of a pilot is bad? Think for a moment

I have met pilots who are unhappy with their job therefore it is possible the job of the pilot can be bad, all depends on the circumstances of individuals.
Like the PAY.. Plavt, you're spot-on. I even tried to help out the guys and girls out here with some advice from a command perspective - CRM etc. - with their applications about what really makes the whole crew work together - from a Captain's perspective - and guess what - not a single reply.

No wonder my SQ tech crew mates are looking elsewhere - the only ones staying are those that have been in SQ for years and Singaporeans - not those that SQ ACTIVELY recruited from O/S to get SQ out of a difficult period.

Current contracts on the SQ 777 are marginal at best when comparing them to other airlines (I admit this depends on which agency you use). Command times are down, and the skeds are total crap for SQ 777 tech crew. Even if you are lucky enough to be cross endorsed on the A330 and the B777 as command, the pay is just woeful.

And listening to all this chatter about "what shoes should I wear for CC interviews", or more importantly "try again next time", makes me think - is SQ that serious? There was a time that safety, respect, and mutual consideration were not issues, they were a fact of life

Sure, flying for a flag carrier is cool - I'm sure. At the end of the day, you need your bread and water. That's why you see tech crew leaving SQ and flying for CX, DJ, VA, 9W, etc.

So stop with the shoes, the skin colouring, the constant waffle about what to wear - learn about what AVIATION is about instead - you answer some of those items I listed before and if the airline doesn't want you, then the airline DOESN'T need you - you're better than them, because you understand the primary function of aviaiton - SAFETY, SERVICE, and being able to THINK FOR YOURSELVES!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 7:07 pm

To Sierra2469alpha,
This alas is a common problem with this thread, it seems when somebody comes here and offers something constructive they are simply ignored and I have the misfortune to be regarded as an ogre (or something similar at times - try reading some of my earlier posts before I became a moderator despite the tag in those posts :( ).

Oh well those that don't listen, dwell in fantasies get a rude shock in the end. You might care to read some of the posts by singporegrrl, queenie-me and a few other active cabin crew.

Ode

Post by Ode » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 7:18 pm

As
Last edited by Ode on Sat, 08 Aug 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.