Singapore Expats

How easy is it to rent an apt if you have cats?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.

How common is it for landlords / building mgt to allow cats?

Poll ended at Mon, 04 Aug 2008 2:08 pm

Very Common (>85% of cases)
60%
Reasonably Common (50% - 85% of cases)
40%
50/50 shot (50% of cases)
No votes
Reasonably Uncommon (15% - 50% of cases)
No votes
Very Uncommon (<15% of cases)
No votes

Total votes: 5

notrevol

How easy is it to rent an apt if you have cats?

Post by notrevol » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 2:08 pm

Am considering accepting a job in Singapore but am concerned that I may have trouble finding a landlord who will allow my two kitty-kids. I know that HDB don't allow cats, but can anyone advise howw common it is to find a condo / private apartment that allows cats (I don't have huge rental budget, am thinking 3000 - 4000 per month, so am ruling out premium condos) - is it a 50/50 thing, extremely rare or extremely common. Please post any experience and feel free to vote in the below poll.

I'm grateful for any advice.
What ever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Search By

Levikane
Regular
Regular

Post by Levikane » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:42 pm

Just dont mention that you have pets, no worries... So long as they are house cats.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:59 pm

How many apartments do you think the average person on this forum has rented? 2, 4, 100?

The poll is a bit silly as the only two realtors on this site are the two Admins, Pal & Joop. Anybody else is just guessing so you poll is about as accurate and a US presidential candidate poll might be. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

notrevol

Post by notrevol » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 9:19 am

Levikane wrote:Just dont mention that you have pets, no worries... So long as they are house cats.
Thanks for the pointer Levikane - so are cat's strictly prohibited outside? My two have been indoor apt cats all their lives, but do like to pop outside for a few hours during the day to soak up any and all available sunlight, and the younger one loves chasing lizards, so I would ideally like a place where they would be allowed outside during daylight hours (if possible)
What ever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

notrevol

Post by notrevol » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 9:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How many apartments do you think the average person on this forum has rented? 2, 4, 100?

The poll is a bit silly as the only two realtors on this site are the two Admins, Pal & Joop. Anybody else is just guessing so you poll is about as accurate and a US presidential candidate poll might be. :roll:
Wow - not often you see moderators flaming posters - especially newbies. :???:

As per my OP I'm interested in the opinion of other members based on their own as a guide to what my experience might be (sorry if I've misunderstood the point of this forum) - anyone who has cats and have rented an apt will have insight into how many (or few) landlords / building mgrs will allow their fur-kids (assuming they don't all rent the first apt they look at). Please don't concern yourself that I'm after a statistically accurate representation of the Singapore rental market, I'm purely after a guage of other people's experience.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Forks » Sun, 06 Jul 2008 2:47 pm

Im going to go on the 4 places I have lived in while in Singapore (5 years) and my friends who have kats.

All of my landlords allowed if asked in advance and the same has been for all of my friends who have kats bar one who was not allowed by their landlord.

statistically thats about 12 places out of 13.

Ebony Chic

How about dogs?

Post by Ebony Chic » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 6:49 am

I would like to know how common is it that landlords allow dogs? Not that we have any, we have just been contemplating of getting one for our daughter.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:50 am

notrevol wrote:
Wow - not often you see moderators flaming posters - especially newbies. :???:

As per my OP I'm interested in the opinion of other members based on their own as a guide to what my experience might be (sorry if I've misunderstood the point of this forum) - anyone who has cats and have rented an apt will have insight into how many (or few) landlords / building mgrs will allow their fur-kids (assuming they don't all rent the first apt they look at). Please don't concern yourself that I'm after a statistically accurate representation of the Singapore rental market, I'm purely after a guage of other people's experience.
Guess what. Moderators have one function here. Generally if we are commenting in a moderation mode we normally sign off as moderator. :-|

We are also regular members here as well and often respond in similar fashion as most regulars do when something looks odd or doesn't make sense. To me, the poll was/is a bit over the top with such a break down. It puts the onus on the reader to do your math for you. :?

All you needed was a simple yes or no type of answer and take the number of respondents to arrive at a percentile. If I lived in 5 places over a 20 year period, and 4 of them allowed cats, it doesn't mean the first three are still owned by the same landlord what with the property market here or that the new owner have the same policy.

You post struck me a odd, sorry if you took offense but it still doesn't make much sense to me in my personal capacity. As a moderator I could care less.......... :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers