Singapore Expats

The fridge is not cooling down any more

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

If you were me, will you :

wait to know if the fridge is still under warranty, but risk to lose the food
33%
ask someone to repair it as soon as possible, to save the food
67%

Total votes: 3

mlprudho

The fridge is not cooling down any more

Post by mlprudho » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 3:52 pm

Hello !

Please, tell me what to do !

I'm renting a house.
Since this morning the fridge is not cooling down any more, and is freezer is not as cold as usual neither.
I sms the landlord's agent this morning to advise her about the problem and to ask her to contact the landlord as soon as possible (cause my fridge is full of yogourt, meat, fish,... just bought on friday !) to know if it's still under warranty.

4 hours later, I still don't have news... I fear that all my yogourts, fish, meat in my fridge and freezer will be spoiled if I wait longer to call someone to repair it !!
But if it's still under warranty and I pay someone to repair it, the landlord won't pay me back the repair !!

Thanks in advance for your answer !

Marie-Line

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 4:29 pm

Maybe actually call the agent rather than just sms and wait. Calling used to be a very popular and efficient means of communicating. You are more likely to get answer quickly.

mlprudho

Post by mlprudho » Sun, 29 Jun 2008 4:36 pm

Saint wrote:Maybe actually call the agent rather than just sms and wait. Calling used to be a very popular and efficient means of communicating. You are more likely to get answer quickly.
The agent answer my sms 5 minutes later ! (as usual.. that's why I always talk to her by sms)
But the landlord didn't answer her yet !

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 3:23 am

My answer is too late, but for future reference...

So if your fridge breaks down, and you've eliminated the obvious (blown fuse, plug loose, control turned off etc), get thee down to the nearest 7/11 or gas station and pick up a 5 kg party pack or two of ice. Stick these puppies in your fridge/freezer and you now have an excellent icebox, which will keep the temps below zero for a day or more.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 8:33 am

That s why the predecessor to what we call the refrigerator was called an "icebox."

8-)

mlprudho

Post by mlprudho » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 9:12 am

jpatokal wrote:My answer is too late, but for future reference...

So if your fridge breaks down, and you've eliminated the obvious (blown fuse, plug loose, control turned off etc), get thee down to the nearest 7/11 or gas station and pick up a 5 kg party pack or two of ice. Stick these puppies in your fridge/freezer and you now have an excellent icebox, which will keep the temps below zero for a day or more.
What a pity you didn't answer a few hours ago !!

On Sunday Icalled a contractor : he repaired the fridge for about s$ 400 !!
And yesterday morning... we noticed that the fridge/freezer was not cooling down any more !! :(
That's why I called the same contractor at 1:30pm... the girl at the office told me that he will call me back quickly
... I called back at 2:30pm... still no news
... at 4:30pm... she told me that she just had news from the contractor a few minutes ago : she asked me topush a few buttons and wait 2 hours to see if it's better !!
I answered that I want him tocome now as the office will soon be closed : she answer the office will close at 6pm but then the call is transfered to the contractor's hand phone.
At 5h45pm... not better : I called back to ask the contractor to come... she answer me to wait one more hour as thefreezer started to cool down slowly.
At 7pm still quite hot : I called... she said that the contrator is on his way already !!! :lol:
Then we had dinner, I bring my daughters to sleep... at 9:45pm... still nobody !!! :x
Since then I'm trying to call... no answer !!!! :x

Next time this will happen... thanks to you I'll know how to keep my fridge cold !!
cause right now, It's about 20°C in myfridge and 5°C in my freezer... I'm not sure that it's a good idea to keep most of the food inside ! (so, I put some yogourt, meat, butter, in the freezer !!)

Icemocha

Post by Icemocha » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:08 am

$400 sound too expensive for a fridge repair unless the compressor need to be replaced.

Many a time, it's just a faulty fan, fuse or electric connection. Maybe in future, you could consider calling the main distributor of the brand who are covering the warranty.