Singapore Expats

Pay Scale for International School Teachers in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
stephclarkson

Pay Scale for International School Teachers in Singapore

Post by stephclarkson » Mon, 30 Jun 2008 5:56 pm

Hi everyone!

I am from the UK, currently a teacher working for an International School which offers the IB programme. I was recently offered a position from one of the more well-established International Schools in Singapore, and am looking to relocate here with my husband and my son.

The HR indicated that my basic will approx. S$7,000-8000. I am currently negotiating my benefits, and my friends told me that it should include annual return airfare, housing allowances and free tuition for my child who is entering into Grade 3 in September.

Does this sound reasonable? Am looking at finalising the contract within these 2 weeks. Would really really appreciate your comments as this is my first time working abroad!

Cheers,
Steph

TYFC Jai

Post by TYFC Jai » Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:33 pm

That's a reasonably good pay scale for a foreign teacher as most of the local teachers will have to start from as low as $2000 during their probationary period. If they have made up to be the HOD like my sister-in-law after 5 years of teaching and attained her Masters, she's drawing something like $4500-5000 currently. So it is quite a considerable amount in Singapore to be paid that scale.
Jailani, Team Manager/Coach, Tampines Youngster FC

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:01 pm

$7,000 to $8,000 basic for being a teacher?

Wow. Sounds good to me.

Any idea how I can become one? What type of experience/qualifications does one need to teach in an International School and command that kind of salary?

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 2:29 pm

To Bruinbear: To be a teacher, one must have a bachelor degree in Elementary Education-4 years at least. Keep in mind it is not an 8-5 job, holidays are great, but that's not why most people go into teaching...its for the love of children. Depending on your experience(# of years actually teaching full time), will decide how much you are actually paid.
Yes, in 2004, I was making just over 8K, but I also had over 20 years experience in various countries.

If you apply and accept the teaching position before setting foot in Singapore, you will be on an expat pkg. This should include education for up to 2 children(varies per school, some may pay only half their fees), a trip home (varies per school, but usually one trip per contract period, 2 yrs.) and housing. Now having said that, if you are coming on your husband's expat pkg, it should already include most of those things, so therefore your school may not provide you anything, knowing that you are getting benefits from his employers. It will all vary as to which school you are working with. Good luck. Keep us posted on what transpires.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Tue, 08 Jul 2008 4:12 pm

Sounds like all reasonable expectations, steph. Most schools will offer these benefits to overseas-hired teachers. Schooling is the one area you may not got completely free - some schools have their teachers pay a share of the fees.

As for this being good money by local standards, please compare like with like, TYFC Jai... An expatriate is brought here because their skills cannot be found in the local workforce (there are very few local teachers in International Schools here, and those that are were trained overseas)... A foreigner does not have any option but to rent property in the private market - this costs a small fortune, and shows no signs of slowing. A foreigner will not be entitled to local health care benefits, we eat different food, we need to travel home to see families etc. No one puts money into a retirement fund for us. We even pay higher maid levies. It always baffles me when I get told by locals that my pay is higher than the average Singaporean, when it is seemingly quite ok for me to have to spend far higher amounts than a local to live here... Sorry - just getting very tired of this old argument...

And, btw, teachers are the bottom rung of expats. Tell another expat what you make here and they start asking you how on earth you survive.

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 3:51 pm

So, typically to earn $8K/month as a teacher in an International School. how experienced must the teacher be? More than 20 years of experience?

Local teachers in local schools earn a lot less, needless to say.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:19 pm

bruinbear wrote:So, typically to earn $8K/month as a teacher in an International School. how experienced must the teacher be? More than 20 years of experience?

Please go back and reread Matney's post one more time......

Local teachers in local schools earn a lot less, needless to say.

Please go back and reread Matney's post one more time...... to see why...
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers