Singapore Expats

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:50 am

I believe the most important reason that you cannot make an apple to apple comparison between the salaries of a local V/S an expat is the cost of housing rental.

I used to pay about $2K rent for a 3 bedroom flat in a my condo about 2 years back. I am paying $3.5K as rent for a 2 bedroom one in the same estate now.
So anyone moving here must factor in housing as the biggest factor in any calculations that they make.

MikeDirnt
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeDirnt » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:17 pm

valleyman wrote:I believe the most important reason that you cannot make an apple to apple comparison between the salaries of a local V/S an expat is the cost of housing rental.

I used to pay about $2K rent for a 3 bedroom flat in a my condo about 2 years back. I am paying $3.5K as rent for a 2 bedroom one in the same estate now.
So anyone moving here must factor in housing as the biggest factor in any calculations that they make.
IMO its worthwhile to purchase a property if you intend to work in singapore for long. its not worth to pay rent in the long run. im afraid many of foreign colleagues fail to see this point after renting for more than 10 years?!

however for short term work, its alright to rent
Guides and information -> Singapore Stocks

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Post by Petales Soufflez! » Sat, 28 Jun 2008 5:33 pm

MikeDirnt wrote:
Petales Soufflez! wrote: What jobs in Singapore will allow one to earn 400K per annum before tax, please?
there are of course. but most importantly, is that person really worth the 400K? if not dont bother asking
Why not? Good education costs alot of money. As does personal effort and sacrifice. A good manager keeps the company afloat and keeps many more people earning their (decent) living (not talking of course of the do-all-for-profit-have-to cut-back-no matter what sort) in it. He must also know how to spot talent, encourage and cultivate it and create more good workers in turn etc etc.

Labour doesn't cost alot - especially if it doesn't require thinking. Value-added strategic thinking with implications on so many other lives. This is what pays. Even 400K is not enough. But well, I guess at this level jobs like that are no longer advertised. You have to be headhunted for them.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

spades

Post by spades » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 8:13 pm

I now get paid about AUD$85,000 package in Sydney which includes superannuation but my take home pay after super and taxes is about A$59,000 per annum or S$6400/month. Noticed you guys quote monthly salaries from this point onwards I will talk SGD.

Rent in Sydney for a decent 2 bedroom apartment max 5 years old is about S$2500/month and my living expenses including bills, food and transpo is about S$1400/month (without entertainment expenses like fancy dinners, movies, etc so this is a minimum). That totals to about S$3900/month. So S$6400-S$3900 is S$2500/month for savings.

I am single. My bills include the usual electricity, landline, mobile phone, meals, groceries and private health insurance.

My question is what is the minimum salary in Singapore for a similar lifestyle WITHOUT the "entertainment expenses"? Cuz on top of just living I would like to find out how much I would be able to save in the future! I work as a business analyst for a large Australian-based multinational with 40,000 employees.

--

Totally separate question for my friend. How much would you expect from a large investment bank like Citibank to pay someone with 8 years of experience as a financial analyst. She's after local and not expat salary.

Thanks in advance!

pompom

Post by pompom » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:05 am

hey
Last edited by pompom on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

wassup

Post by wassup » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 6:03 pm

hi all....a very interesting thread i must say....came across some very conflicting opinions....would appreciate a little advice please....

i am 22, single and from India (keeping in mind the differing salaries being offered to caucasians) with 1 yr exp as a software engineer in a large bank....recently i have been offered a position as a technical analyst in another large bank in singapore with a salary of S$ 5K per month +bonus...now i know it only amounts to S$ 60000 + bonus annually, but keeping in mind that i have only 1 yr exp is it a reasonably decent offer....???

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 6:09 pm

Yes take it, but don't let the locals find out! :lol:

wassup

Post by wassup » Thu, 17 Jul 2008 6:33 pm

:D lol

so i assume it is a pretty decent offer....

however there is one more thing which is playing in my mind...i have heard that singapore follows "hire-n-fire", that is if you dont perform you can be fired immediately....the reason that i am a little apprehensive is that having only 1 yr exp i am not be exceptionally skilled as yet...but am a diligent worker....hope i am worrying needlessly....???

arnabdas.bec

Post by arnabdas.bec » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 5:17 am

Hi

Can you throw some light on what would be the package (including and excluding bonus) be for a HR consultant working in singapore having 2 years of work experience in one of the top HR consulting firms in the world.

regards
arnab

liquidnoise wrote:I stumbled on this forum by accident but find it very interesting, so decided to register to share my 1 cent worth of comment.
BTW, I am a singaporean in early 30s. Currently employed by a swiss company as the head of sales for the whole asia pacific including middle east.
For a start, my package is I must say is above my uni mates as well as most people that I know of. But it seems on the low side from what I have seen here.
Whichever the case, for those interested to find out from what I understand for sg fresh engineer. its between S$2.5k ~ $3.2k/month depending on the industry.
Engineers should be the third in ranking for fresh grad pay package. I know coz I started out as an engineer.
Generally, anything above S$100k/year is considered very high in my age standard (Please remember that I started out as an engineer). So from what I see from here alot of you guys should be earning more then ur local counterpart.
From what I understand as well, the "expat" package is starting to change to "semi-expat" or even local term with housing allowance. Perviously, I do understand the full package is very attractive. For sure, the Japanese on the package gets housing, transport and subsidies children education fees.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 3:27 pm

Why are you asking an Engineer about HR Salary packages :?

Oversoul

Post by Oversoul » Sun, 27 Jul 2008 9:45 pm

i think salary varies on your experience and your race....

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Mon, 04 Aug 2008 7:14 pm

Oversoul wrote:i think salary varies on your experience and your race....
and your race ???

:shock:

eskelly

Right place to look ?

Post by eskelly » Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:15 pm

Hi

I am an Oracle professional DBA/Application Server admin and am actively seeking to relocate to Singapore. I earn 540 Euro per day as a contractor currently in Europe. Ideally I would like to secure a contract position however would consider permanent work. Obviously I would like to come out with as close a salary as possible to what I earn currently (after tax) so as to be able to maintain my mortgage at home as well as live in Sing. I don't necessarily want all the perks that go with "Ex-Pat" packages just a good salary.
I am having difficulty finding any contract work at all at the moment - I have my CV on Monster and JobsDB and have also sent it to a number of agencies. I do not have a work permit at the moment so would require sponsorship and to top it off I am looking for work while still located here in Europe. I don'
My question is
- what are my chances of finding IT contract work
- what means should I adopt to improve my chances (good sites/agencies)
- Am I being entirely unrealistic salary wise (The rates of pay quoted on this forum seem to be influenced by almost every factor, is there someone in the same profession that could provide more insight?)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated ..
I am female, 31, Caucasian, Bachelors degree in Physics, 10+years experience & certified in my field

Regards
Emma

DonaldMoney

Banking job in Singapore

Post by DonaldMoney » Fri, 22 Aug 2008 3:13 pm

hi all, i just recently being made an offer to join one of the foreign bank in Singapore with base salary excluding bonuses of SGD90k/annual = SGD7.5k/mth. The position is an AVP position. I have few Qs hopefully 's only around fellow colleagues can help to answer.

1. Is the rate good for someone with 8-10 years banking experience? I am currently earning Malaysia MYR13k/mth. If i convert SGD7.5k = MYR>16k. (not deductign the tx rate yet). Is this good for single guy coming over - my family would continue to stay in Malaysia.

2. What are the tax rates like? I checked the IRAS website and found that its only around 5% for resident foreigner staying >183 days in the Republic.

3. Any ideas anyone here travels weekly on weekend back to Malaysia say K.L? If yes, how?

Sincerely appreciate feedback. Meanwhile, any Questions about the job hunting in Singapore for banking jobs - i can very much assist for contacts.

Thank you,
Paul.

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Re: Banking job in Singapore

Post by krptykcookies » Fri, 22 Aug 2008 4:50 pm

DonaldMoney wrote:hi all, i just recently being made an offer to join one of the foreign bank in Singapore with base salary excluding bonuses of SGD90k/annual = SGD7.5k/mth. The position is an AVP position. I have few Qs hopefully 's only around fellow colleagues can help to answer.

1. Is the rate good for someone with 8-10 years banking experience? I am currently earning Malaysia MYR13k/mth. If i convert SGD7.5k = MYR>16k. (not deductign the tx rate yet). Is this good for single guy coming over - my family would continue to stay in Malaysia.

2. What are the tax rates like? I checked the IRAS website and found that its only around 5% for resident foreigner staying >183 days in the Republic.

3. Any ideas anyone here travels weekly on weekend back to Malaysia say K.L? If yes, how?

Sincerely appreciate feedback. Meanwhile, any Questions about the job hunting in Singapore for banking jobs - i can very much assist for contacts.

Thank you,
Paul.
Paul, Apa khabar? Hope all's well with you. Is AVP = Asst Vice President? I think what you just quoted seems to be little for that title (and I presume must be a role before the vice president's role?). I was on SGD84k / annum as a test manager about 4 years ago. With rents going up these days SGD90k is too little unless you don't mind settling for a 1-bedroom HDB flat.

I also presume you are working in the banking sector. Robert Walters has this salary report on their website and you might want to use their salary scales as a checkpoint.
Cool as cool can be