Singapore Expats

New kids needing friends over summer

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
TXfour

New kids needing friends over summer

Post by TXfour » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:55 pm

We moved here a month ago from the USA and my daughters are desperately wanting to make some new friends. It’s been terribly difficult to meet anyone with everyone leaving to go back home on their annual vacations. Every evening we spend hours conselling both daughters who are in tears because they miss their friends, who are all back home hanging out together and having fun. I hate seeing them so upset. :cry: My daughters are ages 10 and 13 and we live near Sixth Avenue and Bukit Timah, but will be willing to travel or meet at our house. So, if you’re here for the next few months and would like to get together, that would be great. I hate to sound so desperate but really, we are!

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Wed, 25 Jun 2008 8:13 am

I feel for you. When we arrived, with our son and daughter & both teens, it was the Christmas period and we were living in a hotel until we found a 'home'. I can only suggest possibly contacting the school where they plan to start and see if they are aware of any of their students staying in Singapore for the summer. Hang out at the condo pool and you may meet others with children, age may not matter. Do all the tourist stuff while you have the time to learn more about Singapore. Spend a weekend in Bintan. Time will move quickly. Good luck and welcome to Singapore.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 25 Jun 2008 6:56 pm

What about camp at the American Club or at the American School, OFS or UWC? Or why not take a family vacation and get away from Singapore for a while? If your husband can't go, then go anyway. It's off-season in most of Australia, or rent a car and drive all over New Zealand -- you may never have this much time again. Didn't you realize you were moving at an awkward time when school would be out both in Singapore and at home?

If you can't do any of those things then I suggest you dig inand enjoy your time together, it's precious really. Explore Singapore like a toursit, see all the attractions and make a scrap book of your adventures on the rainy days, make one for each girl and one for you too. Go to movies, take horse back riding lessons, golf lessons, get pedicures, reflexology, go to high tea at Raffles, take meticulous care decorating the girl's new bedrooms and enlist their help to paint the wallls, have them script a movie and give them the video camera, etc...

The time will fly by and you'll have memories to last a lifetime.

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Post by Petales Soufflez! » Wed, 25 Jun 2008 8:50 pm

Hi!

Have you brought them to Wild Wild Wet, the Mozart exhibition at the Museum, the zoos, Science Centre, kids' cooking classes AND especially, check out the People's Association website and sign them up for children's activities at the local community centre www.one.pa.gov.sg.

Otherwise I'll be bringing my kids (eldest boy is 11, your girls may not be too keen on boys at this age ) to Wild Wild Wet next Wed and Thu (hoping it wouldn't rain), so if you haven't been there, it could be a chance.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

TXfour

Post by TXfour » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 9:38 am

Thanks for all the great ideas. We've been pretty busy trying to fill our days and exploring Singapore. We've taken a few vacations too. I'm usually not a whiner - I suppose I'm just having a hard time seeing my girls miss their friends.
We didn't know that it would be such a ghost town coming here over the school holidays. Having said that though, we really didn't have much of a choice when we came anyway. I'm hoping that once school starts we'll all be able to get involved in various activities. A friend or two still wouldn't hurt though! :)