Singapore Expats

RIP George Carlin

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
banana
Reporter
Reporter

RIP George Carlin

Post by banana » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 1:52 pm

George Carlin, the Grammy-Award winning standup comedian and actor who was hailed for his irreverent social commentary, poignant observations of the absurdities of everyday life and language, and groundbreaking routines like “Seven Words You Can Never Use on Television,”
some signatures are more equal than others

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

he was a legend..

Post by notwavingdrowning » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 3:44 pm

Check him out on youtube...Thanks for the news banana, now I am even more depressed.
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 6:20 pm

CRAP! I've watched him live so many times. I just love his routines. Back in the 70's he was a regular at "The Cellar Door" in Washington DC and I used to go the the club all the time to see him. I'm gonna miss is unique perspective on the church and WORDS.

Rest in Peace George.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 1:20 pm

Sorry 'bout that notwavingdrowning, hate to be the bearer of bad news but someone's gotta do it.

here's his last show on HBO if that's any help.

He and Bill Hicks were my two favourite comics, always incisive and going straight for the jugular.
some signatures are more equal than others

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Brilliant Banana

Post by notwavingdrowning » Wed, 25 Jun 2008 7:14 am

Brilliant Banana, I watched a show on cable regarding his passing yesterday. You are so damn luck SundayStaple, to have seen him live.

On this program I watched I was amazed- I had no idea of his amazing past.

He was the very first presenter of Saturday Night Live (God I wish they had that show here) and has won so many awards. He has also placed 2nd in the lineup of the 10 greatest comedians of ALL time...

May I also suggest his website georgecarlin.com and for those who want o learn a little more about this amazing man who changed the face of comedy influenced everyone from Jerry Seinfeld to Cris Rock (and you can really see how he infuenced their style) check out wikipedia in his name..

A routine in Carlin's 1999 HBO special You Are All Diseased focusing on airport security leads up to the statement: "Take a fu#@ing chance! Put a little fun in your life! ..Brilliant!

RIP Georg xxx My day today? A GC tribute video day..Should cheer me up :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Jun 2008 9:11 am

Hey notwavingdrowning, thanks for that link. It's really appreciated.

I'm gonna have to see if my "FM & AM" album survived Hurricane Isabelle the next time I go home. Some did and some didn't as some were stored upstairs and most were downstairs which was flooded.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

GC Inside the Actors Studio..on youtube

Post by notwavingdrowning » Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:40 am

You are more than welcome Sunday. I am still so envious of you having seen him live- and now you say you own his records. Did you know his album FMAM won a Grammy. It must have been hysterical. I have to find that album next. You are a seriously cool dude Sunday

I have just watched George being interviewed on Inside the Actors Studio-2004

Please do yourself a favor and watch it. Everything you ever wanted to know about the amazing man is exposed here on this incredible show

Back to youtube for me

Love you Georgy Boy you Old &u^k... (its ok, thats what he called himself- see part 1 of show recommended by Banana above..God he makes me laugh)

Return to “General Discussions”